Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Skill System  (Read 667 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Skill System
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »

Player skills are all over the place. Some are good for your colony, some for your fighters, some your fleet... and aside from the top row all being for your ship there isnt much in the way of a pattern. and your governers have access to a grand total of THREE of your skills, while captains have access to about 10. it frankly feels quite simplistic, kinda feels like you are pigeon holed into a few select skills, and have very little real variety.

so here is my idea. Three separate skill trees for the player; leadership, piloting, and administration. At each level you get one point for each tree and each tree has a couple skills per tier that you can choose between. Instead of using story point to make some select skills elite, add levels to most skills that can be improved by investing more skill points. Splitting up the current 'group' skills would help fill this tree out, as well as offering more customization control to the player, and would make for a lot more room for adding new skills and skill types. while admin/piloting are self evident; the leadership tree would be for fleet/colony wide effects unique to the player. this would make level ups feel a lot more meaningful, your choices too, and wont have players feeling they are neglecting one aspect of play working on another.

Side thought on captains/admins. i see there being two possible ways to make your officers/admins far for interesting too; first give them full access to the 'tree' that is appropriate for them, or by giving them a skill or two that is set and have them gain levels to improve OTHER stats. for example; an officer with fighter support and impact mitigation, and when they level they gain things like '+5% fire rate' or '-10% supplies used'.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Skill System
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »

Ya the new skill system feels like a lateral move. I don’t hate it but it certainly doesn’t feel better. Especially with the lvl 15 cap. And I agree I feel like I’m forced to pick things I don’t want or have no interest in just to get to the next one which I DO want.

dave123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »

Ya the new skill system feels like a lateral move. I don’t hate it but it certainly doesn’t feel better. Especially with the lvl 15 cap. And I agree I feel like I’m forced to pick things I don’t want or have no interest in just to get to the next one which I DO want. uff just krogerfeedback survey feels
yeah it feels forceful as the thing u dont want has to be picked
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 06:30:39 PM by dave123 »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »

Ya the new skill system feels like a lateral move. I don’t hate it but it certainly doesn’t feel better. Especially with the lvl 15 cap. And I agree I feel like I’m forced to pick things I don’t want or have no interest in just to get to the next one which I DO want.

i had the same sentiment but found that that isn't the case outside of the combat tree; the other trees all the tiers are either skills where I want both or either of the skills, or one skill goes with the build being set up by my choices from earlier in the tree. And either way it works fine, if I want a skill I didnt pick I just loop back around & start the other build -- even if the skills werent my go-to pick they'll still do something for me. The only exception is, as mentioned, half the combat tree skills are carrier upgrades & if ur not piloting a carrier then u actually do only have 1 choice for most of the tiers, and if you want both of the top tier combat skills then you do have to put a whole bunch of levels into carrier skills you'll never use.

The solution to which, by the way, is for alex to just full-out copy Heroes of the Storm and add in a third skill per tier at least for all the carrier combat skills
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

razorator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 07:47:33 PM »

Many of the skills themselves should be reworked and have added depth to them alongside the mechanics they go with.

I think 0.95a was a great experiment but ultimately the story points feel like a cheat resource that's too easy to come by and provide too huge of a flexibility that removes all risk and reward from the game.
The skill tree also forces you into a certain playstyle for a long/indefinite periods because you either stick with the skills you chose or specialize in the other skills for a long/indefinite period. Constantly swapping between them is not viable.