Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sector Revealer  (Read 1617 times)

Chu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sector Revealer
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:08:31 AM »

-------
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:16:28 PM by Chu »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Revealer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:12:47 PM »

You might consider also posting the source code to a repo, and some screenshots of what it does. Just posting some random .exe like that, with nothing backing it up is very iffy.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:50:04 PM »

Hi - yeah, please don't post downloadable links to an .exe like this. I mean, I don't think this specifically is a virus, but it's not a good precedent to set as far as what's allowed on the forum. I've removed the download link from the OP; apologies.

Chu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 05:42:14 AM »

i hope a zip satisfies everyone.
------------------------

if you're using Adjusted Sector mod - just give it some time to read all planets.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:36:28 PM by Chu »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:06 AM »

I think you've misunderstood - the issue is with just asking people to run a random exe file. Putting the exe into a zip file doesn't actually change anything. And, you're a very new forum member with no history to speak of here, so I don't think even posting the source/screenshots/etc would make this acceptable.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »

Perhaps you could upload code to github/gitlab/bitbucket for us to just compile it / run ourselves?

Chu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »

so i browsed all the possible so-to-say faqs and help.
no rules about exe files or other *** here https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?action=help, nor here https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0, not here also https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1222.0 and not a single word here https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.0
so i really don't know where from should i know if i already satisfy your subjective view of being an "old enough forum member".
and while "remember - everyone is a human being" is written in your forum rules, you treating me like a newbie is treated in the soviet army.
you know there is a site called virustotal.com
thank you for you kindness for shutting me up and deciding where i cannot speak despite this is NOT STATED in the forum rules.

" I don't think even posting the source/screenshots/etc would make this acceptable."  "Perhaps you could upload code to github/gitlab/bitbucket for us to just compile it / run ourselves?"
well you just decide it between yourselves first. cause again this is written exactly NOWHERE.
so just GTFO Alex and continue your "thinking" process.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »

Refusing to share source code and getting angry for implying your software could be malicious raises a gigantic red flag.

Chu does raise a valid point that the rule that closed source executables aren't allowed to be shared isn't a public one. Bring the rules post up to speed.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 02:55:12 PM »

The rules are mostly for mods, which by design can't be malicious (Alex locked file operations for examples). Posting source when you provide a non-mod is a non-written rule - perhaps it is time to make it official? As it is - no code, no bueno - nobody is going to bother decompiling this "contribution" just to make sure it's not mining coins or stealing nyancat collections.
Just look at other contributors - even people that have been here for years are sharing their source (just to name a few):

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 04:50:12 PM »

Edit: the OP's been perma-banned, btw, for their response to moderation.

Chu does raise a valid point that the rule that closed source executables aren't allowed to be shared isn't a public one. Bring the rules post up to speed.

This is one of those "common sense" things, and it's also on a case by case basis; e.g. someone more or less joining the forum and posting an exe download is... probably not the best move. I'll also note that the OP didn't get an official warning for just doing this, just a "please don't do this", so I'm not sure that an official rule is strictly necessary, or easy to word.

... mods, which by design can't be malicious (Alex locked file operations for examples) ...

Just want to make a quick point here: I'm sure a mod *could* be malicious. The locked operations etc are generally to avoid good-intentioned mods from unintentionally doing something that a lot of people regret. I don't think a lot of maybe not-particularly-experienced coders would approach file write operations with the level of paranoia they really deserve, for example. That it makes a lazy malicious "mod" more difficult is just a bonus. But, I mean, those sorts of protections just can't be counted on 100%.

(... on the balance, I think I'll lock this thread.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:54:35 PM by Alex »