Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Adding custom ships  (Read 229454 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Adding custom ships
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »

Ok, finally got around to adding another ship (and I still need to update and then publish my mod... >.< but anyways...)

Crocodile class battleship
Like the onslaught, the majority of the firepower is facing the front, and interestingly, the firepower to the sides is a good deal lower than on the onslaught, all the way down to outright nothing but four small energy PD to the stern. However, it has a fairly wide omni shield (150 degrees), though its not the most efficient one, good flux reserves, and the PD coverage options are a bit better and less wasteful than on the onslaught. Though you can only mount four large weapons (the front-only firing arc on the front large turrets making them somewhat equatable to the two hardpoints the onslaught has), the front-facing large & medium turrets in the center (in this picture, a dual flak and a pair of plasma cannons) are universal slots. The massive bank of missiles allows for both effective use in a fire support role (Pilums + tachyon lances) or in a close support or assault role (using things like torps or harpoons in the missile slots). This ship generally relies on damage-dealing weapons in the medium and large front-facing slots, and lighter, cheaper weapons and PD in all the other slots. Flux-heavy loadouts/weapon groups should be used with care, and are best when left under manual control; even though you have large flux reserves, venting still takes a good deal of time, and will leave you vulnerable (given how many weapons are at the perimeter of the ship, they can easily be taken out by enemy fire). Best used to take out shields, and then let the missiles do the rest of the work.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

And another ship!

Lance-class Missile Ship

The Lance is basically the ultimate missile platform. Supporting up to 6 heavy missile hardpoints (plus a universal heavy hardpoint in the center), and 10 medium missile hardpoints (in addition to a pair of small missile hardpoings, 8 small energy turrets, and 2 medium energy turrets), the lance can lob obscene quantities of ordinance at its target (and from two directions, hence the broadside-esq configuration), allowing it to essentially overwhelm any point defenses it comes up against through the sheer quantity of missiles it can launch. Despite the impressive firepower it packs on paper (7 large slots, and 350 OP to spend - that's as much as a paragon, and more large slots to boot), its actual combat profile is pretty much limited entirely to a support role (either close or fire support, fire-support is quite a bit safer for it). Missiles make for a poor assault weapon, and in general, the lance needs other ships to take out the shields on its targets (unless some missile space is used for sabots), though having things like the needler or gauss cannon in the large universal hardpoint can certainly help, especially in allowing a bit more control in when the enemy will be forced to lower their shields or overload. The lance has abysmal flux storage for a capship (on par with the manta, which makes up for this handicap with a high flux vent rate), and rather anemic flux venting (and its gets even lower once the shields go up - its so low in fact, that the only capships with lower flux vent rates are... the atlas I and atlas II, a civilian superfreighter and a jury-rigged carrier of the former respectively); afterall, its small compliment of non-missile weaponry was intended to be taken up entirely by PD and support weapons. Trying to stick a plasma cannon in the large slot is just asking for trouble. And don't even think about using heavy blasters in the medium slots. The hull and armor is about on par with the odyssey. Which is to say that they are fairly mediocre. It'll stand up to hvel rounds, needlers, flak cannons, and maybe some gauss shots, but don't expect it to protect you against a bomber run or any of the assault guns. That's what the rest of your fleet is for (and your shields. Which unlike just about every other ship, aren't really being taxed by weapon systems, despite the lacking flux stats). On the plus side, its cheap for a capship - both to purchase and to deploy. Don't expect to use it as a standard capship though. In a sense, its a capital-ship sized buffalo II - a great support ship in a fleet, but an abysmal fighter on its own.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

And another ship!

Lance-class Missile Ship

The Lance is basically the ultimate missile platform. Supporting up to 6 heavy missile hardpoints (plus a universal heavy hardpoint in the center), and 10 medium missile hardpoints (in addition to a pair of small missile hardpoings, 8 small energy turrets, and 2 medium energy turrets), the lance can lob obscene quantities of ordinance at its target (and from two directions, hence the broadside-esq configuration), allowing it to essentially overwhelm any point defenses it comes up against through the sheer quantity of missiles it can launch. Despite the impressive firepower it packs on paper (7 large slots, and 350 OP to spend - that's as much as a paragon, and more large slots to boot), its actual combat profile is pretty much limited entirely to a support role (either close or fire support, fire-support is quite a bit safer for it). Missiles make for a poor assault weapon, and in general, the lance needs other ships to take out the shields on its targets (unless some missile space is used for sabots), though having things like the needler or gauss cannon in the large universal hardpoint can certainly help, especially in allowing a bit more control in when the enemy will be forced to lower their shields or overload. The lance has abysmal flux storage for a capship (on par with the manta, which makes up for this handicap with a high flux vent rate), and rather anemic flux venting (and its gets even lower once the shields go up - its so low in fact, that the only capships with lower flux vent rates are... the atlas I and atlas II, a civilian superfreighter and a jury-rigged carrier of the former respectively); afterall, its small compliment of non-missile weaponry was intended to be taken up entirely by PD and support weapons. Trying to stick a plasma cannon in the large slot is just asking for trouble. And don't even think about using heavy blasters in the medium slots. The hull and armor is about on par with the odyssey. Which is to say that they are fairly mediocre. It'll stand up to hvel rounds, needlers, flak cannons, and maybe some gauss shots, but don't expect it to protect you against a bomber run or any of the assault guns. That's what the rest of your fleet is for (and your shields. Which unlike just about every other ship, aren't really being taxed by weapon systems, despite the lacking flux stats). On the plus side, its cheap for a capship - both to purchase and to deploy. Don't expect to use it as a standard capship though. In a sense, its a capital-ship sized buffalo II - a great support ship in a fleet, but an abysmal fighter on its own.
May one ask how you went and did these ships? Did you just frankensprite them or? And have tou ever used the battleships forever ship creator? If so, how does one recolor them?

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »

Pretty sure it's frankensprite considering the style of the ships.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »

Frankensprited in paint.net (most of my franken ships are ~95% david-originated rasters, 5% original (mostly in closing seams nicely)). I wouldn't use the BSF ship creator since 1) it involves too much work generating the pieces, 2) can't edit them on the fly, 3) can't do nice clean eraser merges in the ship creator. 4) I can't create original components to merge them together either on the fly

I am also someone who doesn't like hue-shifting, except for in very tiny quantities, such as to match up one low-tech part with another, with some original part & eraser-aided blending.

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

YAY! I just finished making a sprite for a ship I'm going to call the Longsword Attack Cruiser. Turned out a little fatter then I wanted, but oh well  ;D
Oh and Avan where can I get your mod O3O
Here it is!

EDIT: I did frankensprite most of it, except for the seams between the pieces. Turned out quite well, I might add  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:48:34 PM by Sweetraveparty »

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is the mod with all his ships. Also, it's on the first page. Just saying.

Anyway, not bad. The only thing that's weird is the two missile slots from the Medusa sprite. If you put a weapon there, it would look like the ship would shoot itself if it fired those weapons.

Anyway, I have my own few frankenships. Haven't tested them yet, but I will... eventually.

The Supereagle:

Similar to the Vulture from the Demolisher mod, but with no missiles slots, and four hardpoint slots. A full assortment of weapons is as follows: 2 medium and 2 small ballistic slots, 1 large, 6 medium and 4 small energy slots. The ballistics are the front most four slots. The medium ballistics are hardpoints and the small ones are turrets with a small arc if I recall correctly. The four turret medium slots are all energy, as are all the remaining small slots. On the sides, are two hardpoint energy slots. The center slot is a large energy slot. If I did the ship correctly, this ship should be used as a capital ship killer or a long range harasser because of it's large energy slot (Tachyon or Plasma, ho!) and highly resistant (but only 120 degree) shield. The ship is also faster than the Eagle. The ship should struggle against smaller ships due to the smaller shield and reduced maneuverability.

It was made from a Falcon base.

The Maul:

A massively buffed Hammerhead. It has two medium Ballistic and Missile slots in front, two Omni small slots in the center front, and to the sides of those are two small energy slots. In the center back, a medium turret Ballistic slot, and two small energy slots in the back. The Maul is slightly more sluggish than a Hammerhead in every respect, and only has a 180 degree shield, even if it is very resistant, so if everything goes well, the Maul should be a good Cruiser killer, but bad at anything involving taking on lighter ships if it takes on more than one.

The Mace:

A Sunder base, merged with a Hammerhead. I haven't actually made the ship file yet, so I'm not actually set in stone as for what I want to do with it. But it should be fairly similar to what I'm about to say it has: Two small missile slots in the front, two medium ballistics in the front, one large ballistics in the front (big gun ahoy), and six PD small slots of some sort. Oh, and it should have a hanger around that of a Falcon or Eagle (look at the rear of the ship, same thing in the back that looks like a hanger). Maybe. As for what it's used for, I'll likely make it like the Maul, but even more sluggish.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:27:46 PM by Tarran »

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2012, 11:46:24 PM »

YAY! I just finished making a sprite for a ship I'm going to call the Longsword Attack Cruiser. Turned out a little fatter then I wanted, but oh well  ;D
Here it is!

EDIT: I did frankensprite most of it, except for the seams between the pieces. Turned out quite well, I might add  ;D

took a look at yours. came up with a couple.

"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2012, 11:55:22 PM »

I do believe this one looks more solid though.

"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »

Pretty sure it's frankensprite considering the style of the ships.

frankensprite means putting stuff from vanilla sprites over-to each other, right ?

how do we call frankensprite mixed with my own contribution ?  :D

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

Frankensprite I assume. As I assume Frakensprite means putting any kind of sprites over another.

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2012, 07:15:17 AM »

All these ships are so cool! *nerdgasm* Im gonna make another one soon. Its gonna be modeled after the "Silvana" from the show Last Exile. Or something else.

DarkMajor21

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »

Ugh how do you even edit the ship data with Open office I tried and its so confusing.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »

edit a ship as in the stats? or the ship as in what weapons it can carry, it's shield and etc?

with open office your only supposed to use it for ship_data.csv

when it opens, it'll give you some options before you click ok, make sure you set the seperator options to only accept commas

for making ships details and others, I highly, Highly recommend trylobot's ship editor  Here - http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.0

Don't be afraid to ask for help :)

DarkMajor21

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »

edit a ship as in the stats? or the ship as in what weapons it can carry, it's shield and etc?

with open office your only supposed to use it for ship_data.csv

when it opens, it'll give you some options before you click ok, make sure you set the seperator options to only accept commas

for making ships details and others, I highly, Highly recommend trylobot's ship editor  Here - http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.0

Don't be afraid to ask for help :)

Thank you very much!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26