Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Adding custom ships  (Read 230145 times)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Adding custom ships
« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

Well, I'm back.  I put the Morningstar through a rather minor redesign.  She's a bit long for a frigate but otherwise looking good.

She's not quite done yet.  The contrast is a little too shallow on the hull and too pronounced on the engine... pylon thing.  And said pylon thing is a little plain still.

But she's close.

-Em Ess

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

Lookin mighty fine.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 04, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

I just made my first ship! I call it the Lancer. It is a long-range support fighter, built around a Tachyon Lance. Obviously, its main weapon is the Tachyon Lance, and it has a single light machine gun and inefficient shields to defend itself. It comes in wings of two, at a base cost of 20 grand and 12 OP's.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

Hello all, I've been looking through these amazing ships and I was wondering... how do you make new ships? I'm okay at graphic art and I really want to do this my self. Would anyone mind telling me how to step-by-step?
Peace, ;)

-Rave

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »

Do you want to make the ship-ship, or just the sprites?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:56:45 PM by Tarran »

maj.loser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 05, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »

So after some faffing about I managed to add a ship, with some minor niggles of course, but the main thing bugging me at the moment is that after adding a 360 turret while playing the game I cannot set the turrent weapon to autofire. What controls whether a weapon can be set to autofire? I have it defined as LINKED, arc 360 angle 0 and it's a taclaser so I think it should work (I checked the wolf's ship data file and didn't see anything specific...).

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »

hmm it should work... i always set my angle to 360. its exactly the same maybe try that?

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »

Do you want to make the ship-ship, or just the sprites?

I would like to make both, but the sprites first. How big (pixels x pixels) should a sprite be? And also what format should the image be saved as?

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 05, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »

I don't think there is a limit on how large or small the sprites should be. I'd suggest making them at least large enough to hold a weapon slot (see stock images, rip off of them) unless they're bombers or fighters.

I think everyone saves them as PNG.

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

Alright, thanks. I have an idea for the ship and I'll get to doing that when I get back home (iphone ftw!). Now how do make the ship-ship? Does it involve image mapping or something?

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »

part 1 of a 2 parter... too bad its for 0.35a but most things will still work
edit: all of it except some stats in the ships_data.CSV but that will be converted to standard values.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 05, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »

Last night, I also wrote a short step-by-step guide before I decided to ask whether you wanted help on sprites or adding the ship. I'll post it here just in case you prefer text. And so I don't cry on wasted time.

((I wish this forum had spoilers, it would be easier for me to avoid cluttering up the thread))

First, I'd suggest making a mod directory with all the necessary folders. Including the Data/Hull, data/variants, and graphics/ships directories. I will be doing this step-by-step guide as if making a new mod since that's MUCH cleaner compared to just adding onto the core game.

After that:
Create the sprite;
Use a ship editor, like this one to get the rough idea of the ship and create a hull, if needed create a Variant;
Put the hull in the Data/hull directory, and the variant in the data/variants directory;
Manually edit the hull file with a text editor to point to the sprite, manually edit the variant to put weapons in slots since the editor I linked to doesn't seem to work with assigning weapons;
Copy a ship_data.csv from either the core game files or another mod and fill out the ship's stats, id, name... Fill in everything (except "8/6/5/4%", that's unused);
Put the ship_data file with the hull.
Now, you have a choice. The ship will work now, but it's not actually being used by the game. You have the choice of making an entirely new faction or just editing the ship to an existing one. If you chose the former, follow ALL the instructions on this and add your ships on step 1. If you chose the latter, copy the file mentioned in step 1 from the core game files and put it in a similar folder in your mod from where you find it. Then edit your ships into it. Note that any other mods that modify the faction will conflict if you just modify an existing faction.
Next, grab a "mod_info.json" from a mod and put it in the top directory of your mod. Edit it with a text editor to your liking.
Finally, you can start up the starfarer launcher, and select your mods. Select yours, then launch the game.

If you have devmode on, you can then edit your variants to see how off everything is with your ship right on the start screen and see if you messed up. Otherwise, you'll have to go fighting with or against your ship to see any mistakes. If you find any, I suggest messing around with steps 2 and 4 until your ship looks fine.

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »

I learned something new today... I am a terrible pixel artist!  :P Probably more inexperienced then anything but still... it's kinda depressing. Thanks for telling me exactly how do everything, it's much appreciated :D
Peace,

-Rave

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »

Don't worry, you'll get better.

You should try smaller things not related to this game's ships. Try square or other things with 45 or 90 degree angles, or things that are simpler. At first, try not to make smooth color transitions, but do try at least some amount of color transitions.

You'll eventually learn what looks wrong and what looks right.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »

Don't worry, you'll get better.
I too am trying my hand at pixel-arting, haha. I'm terrible, but getting better. Patience and persistence. :p
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26