Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Adding custom ships  (Read 229455 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Adding custom ships
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »

I'll be sure to give them enough offensive capabilities to make up for their lack in the shielding and armor department.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »

the "Ancient" style ships are so old, many of them outright lack shielding capabilities, with the ones that do having very tiny shields, and often are restricted to smaller slot sizes (though can tend towards having many smaller slots vs. fewer larger ones), and nearly exclusively use ballistic weapons, with some missile slots, and rarely an energy slot. They also tend to have underwhelming armor & hull HP, but make up for this in extremely low cost (both production & fleet points) and actually pretty good maneuverability.

Maybe instead of giving all ships of antiquity low armor, make it so that the majority of the ships have low armor, and give the top of the line ancient battleships a ridiculous amount of armor (at the cost of speed of course, though I could imagine them putting equally ridiculously huge engines in as well). Perhaps the really really old era did have the manufacturing and manpower to do this, their tech may not have been much to consider, but i would think they would have still known a thing or two about overwhelming force and concentrating your best stuff on your best ships. I guess the majority of the ancient ships would be quite fragile and undergunned as they were, but the ones that are top of the line are ships that (in my imagination) outgun and out armor modern ships with low tech and low armor equipment.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »

I didn't want to infringe on the onslaught's area ;)

I think that I might just go with giving them thin armor, but large amounts of hull HP as the size increases, given the bulk of the larger ships.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »

All sounds very interesting, Avan.

Looking forward to seeing them come to fruition.

Just for fun, a drawing of a destroyer concept to go with the Hammer et. al:

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:40 AM »

This is so awesome!

I love concept art! <3

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »

Looks very nice! Incidentally, has just the right amount of armaments for a military-grade destroyer :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »

I've added in a bunch of weapons, including a high-yield EMP torpedo (very high flux, though for a torpedo it does rather sub-stellar raw damage), 2 pulse beam PD weapons (though they are not the PULSE weapon type), a close-quarters anti-capship pulse beam (again, not a PULSE weapon type), and have a few more missiles and a lot more projectile weapons planned out. Many of them don't have their own sprites yet though and are just using placeholders.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »

including a high-yield EMP torpedo

Heheh, did you use the other-colored Atropos-like graphic for it? That would be amusing because that's exactly what it's slated for :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »

including a high-yield EMP torpedo

Heheh, did you use the other-colored Atropos-like graphic for it? That would be amusing because that's exactly what it's slated for :)
:D I was guessing as much  ;D

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »

Also added in a reloading-launcher (with some clearly frankened sprites X3) for the two small tracking torpedos - this gives me quite a bit more loadout optioning: they cost high ordinance points though for small missile slots, given the necessity of the loading & ammo storage systems, so its not something a frigate is probably going to want (unless it actually has the OP to spare) - but its a great way for a destroyer or cruiser to spend some extra OP on a small missile slot.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

Wow, that sure took forever, but I finally managed to churn out a ship that didn;t stick out as sorely as the pike did among david's ships X3 (which I really want to get around to redoing sometime next week)

And a fighter too, as a bonus.

Currently getting them in-game, so it will be a while before I have pics.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »

Here is the javelin class frigate in a semi-PD configuration with modern weapons (I have not made the really old tech weapons yet):

Here is the gnat class interceptor with a venture outfitted with reloading atropos & EMP torp launchers:

Currently the javelin is a fairly versatile hull sporting 4 ballistic turrets and a pair of missile hardpoints, all small size. It has nice speed and hull HP, but low armor and no shields. I might decide to have the 'very old' ships have decent armor as well, but still lack shields - differentiating them from the higher tech low tech ships which at least have shields, and remove some of the extra hull HP, since right now its not uncommon to have charred looking javelins flying about with almost perfectly intact hulls because the paper-thin armor got fried off by some interceptors.

The gnat comes in packs of 6, costs a single fleet point, and repairs very quickly. It also a whopping armor rating of 5 and 50 hull hitpoints. So a single flak shot should be more than enough to take them out. Their very low survivability is offset by having a tiny size and a miniscule hitbox, not to mention incredibly high speed and a pair of light machine guns. They fail abysmally when used without a carrier for support, but given their superb running away skills, can be a severe pain for ships lacking beam or flak point defenses, as they can escape and come back at full strength.

The venture in the second picture has some underwhelming guns, to offset the high OP cost of the torpedo tubes.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

A javelin with 3 N33 artil guns. (The name is a very vague reference to a weapon in Transcendence with similar looking projectiles.)
The N33 generates so much flux that you have to vent every time you fire all of them X3 - however, it is a superb weapon, but one of the more expensive ones to manufacture, given it is on the upper end of the manually made 'ancient' designs (non-autofactory). It has incredible range and velocity, letting you pin targets from a good distance away: its NOT a melee weapon though,  given it has the slowest reload of any ballistic weapon (though it has nothing on some missiles)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

New ship: Marten-class Pocket Carrier
It has a good number of turret slots, but its got less OP than the Javelin: it does however have a greater flux capacity and more hull HP

I felt the Javelin was good enough that I could franken it, so I did X3

Anyways, I was rushing it out for the sake of a new mission I'm planning - it required a carrier because of the use of gnats, which... are pretty poor without a carrier X3

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »

Added a medium sized dual artil cannon, basically the exact same as the original, but with ammo and firerate (and thus flux production) doubled.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26