Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so I just spent an hour trying to defeat an enemy fleet to get their odyssey  (Read 1443 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

couldnt get the battle won without losing more destroyers & cruisers than the odyssey was worth for an hour straight, had to stop to go get groceries just as I was starting another attempt so I paused as the fleets were burning in to the battlefield, put a capture order on all control points except for the one between our fleets which I put an assault order on, autopilot then play & went shopping.
got home & they won having lost only a frigate.
of course, the odyssey wasnt recoverable, so I loaded save & ran it a second time just letting the AI get it done with just 3 capture & 1 assault order, AI beat it losing nothing (again no odyssey), ran it a third time & lost 2 frigates.

So, I've figured it out. Your fleet's AI is really good (or as good as the enemy's) if u stop trying to micromanage them on which ship to engage/when and let them work off of capture/assault/defend orders
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ideally you would post a comparison of orders given in both cases, but I don't think it's going to happen, unless you still have that save.
About recovery chances - isn't it predetermined on save generation or something like that?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm about 98% sure recovery chances are seeded
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

Ideally you would post a comparison of orders given in both cases, but I don't think it's going to happen, unless you still have that save.
About recovery chances - isn't it predetermined on save generation or something like that?

i spent so long playing them manually that it'd be basically impossible to do this. Basically I just eliminate-ordered whichever enemy destroyer/cruiser was on the frontline near the core of my forces & put a bunch of my fleet on it, then cancel the order if it managed to retreat into the line, & the non-manual tries (that worked better) were literally just capture orders on all CP's, assault/defend order on the CP that the enemy fleet was at. This wasnt meant to be a scientific post, just a general "I think the AI works better if u stop trying to micromanage it"
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think it warns you somewhere that orders restrict the maneuvering options of your ships. I generally avoid giving many orders except for things like eliminating Radiants since they would otherwise win the attrition game. Without orders your ships seem more survivable although they might also deal less damage in return.

For all the complaints about passive AI I like how rarely my AI controlled ships die in regular fights, it would be quite frustrating if they'd get themselves killed all the time.

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Your fleet's AI is really good (or as good as the enemy's) if u stop trying to micromanage them on which ship to engage/when and let them work off of capture/assault/defend orders

I think you simply giving the wrong orders. Engage orders mean aggressive behavior and restrict mobility. IME, they are generally bad if your ships are in combat situations with similar strength enemies. They are extremely powerful for opportunistically taking out isolated (or overfluxed) enemies. You need to be prepared to cancel those orders, if the isolated enemy manages to "unisolate" itself.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm about 98% sure recovery chances are seeded
At least not for all ships you try to take from fleets, since I've savescummed plenty of pirated Atlases before (for want of a better way to acquire them).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

Your fleet's AI is really good (or as good as the enemy's) if u stop trying to micromanage them on which ship to engage/when and let them work off of capture/assault/defend orders

I think you simply giving the wrong orders. Engage orders mean aggressive behavior and restrict mobility. IME, they are generally bad if your ships are in combat situations with similar strength enemies. They are extremely powerful for opportunistically taking out isolated (or overfluxed) enemies. You need to be prepared to cancel those orders, if the isolated enemy manages to "unisolate" itself.

i went into greater detail in a reply, thats what I was doing. Mass-eliminating ships that were out of position/overextended using my ships that could get to it safely/easily & before it retreated then un-ordering it if it made it back to safety. Turns out it doesnt work as well in the long run as just letting the AI sort itself out using CP commands

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile

i went into greater detail in a reply, thats what I was doing. Mass-eliminating ships that were out of position/overextended using my ships that could get to it safely/easily & before it retreated then un-ordering it if it made it back to safety. Turns out it doesnt work as well in the long run as just letting the AI sort itself out using CP commands

That doesn't match my experience. However, I do value fast ships, so my ships usually have better mobility than the same size enemy ships. I don't give the AI rope to hang itself and weapon flux is generally less than flux dissipation.

A well-equipped Odyssey is an extremely effective killing machine against weaker ships, so I would be extremely careful around it.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

also turns out its incredible at murdering onslaughts. Super glad I got it right before the luddic church & hegemony invaded me at the same time