Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where is the player's "inventory?"  (Read 678 times)

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Where is the player's "inventory?"
« on: June 10, 2021, 09:06:38 PM »

Since Alex's intentions regarding the direction he intends to take this game is already pretty clear (less 4X, more rpg), where is the player's "inventory?"  I don't entirely mean inventory in the traditional game sense (ie, your inventory is to some degree basically your ship's captain's cabin, not just literally what you might carry around with you where ever you go).  So whether you find a legit BAMF laser pistol you literally strap to your hip, or just a dope wet bar you "inherited" from some other ship captain, or just a anti-grav captain's bed, the player both has proof of doing cool stuff, and maybe also gets some bonuses depending on certain situations.  So not only do you sometimes get to shoot Greedo first, but you might also get better deals displaying a sweet sweet laser pistol (or get a better rate from TT rep with cool wet bar on ship).

While I do only intend this semi-seriously (since it would be both cool and expand a system for better modding), I am curious why this has yet to be suggested.  Alternatively, has it been suggested and why was it rejected?
I wasn't always a Judge...

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the player's "inventory?"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 04:12:44 AM »

Seems like too much focus on the player character as a person for situations that are not otherwise simulated. Plus too few situations where that would even come into play. This is a game about space ship combat.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 04:31:47 AM »

It has never been suggested before, because it has never been relevant. No matter how fancy my quarters are, they won't help me in battle.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 06:51:20 AM »

It is somewhat more relevant now that player character can get caught with their pants down in a bar by cops. That said, I would prefer Starsector to not have Space Rangers inspired text quests with character inventory and such.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 02:30:51 PM »

It is somewhat more relevant now that player character can get caught with their pants down in a bar by cops. That said, I would prefer Starsector to not have Space Rangers inspired text quests with character inventory and such.

Neither would I.  But since a significant amount of meaningful story interaction seems to be a little too directly tied to story point use (nice early in the game, pointless late game as it takes so much longer to generate story points), it would be nice to also accumulate certain lewt that just increases the likelihood of a positive player outcome without wasting a story point.  Put another way, if story points are free saving rolls that always work, I still might rather gamble late in a game run instead of "wasting" a story point on something I find useless.  So might be nice to have a few accumulated bonuses to weigh the dice roll, if you follow my metaphor.  I mean, I get that Alex spent a bunch of time creating the story point system, but seems to have also led to story point use creep.  Sometimes in life you gotta gamble, while other times you gamble by choice.

Plus, that and the skill revamp seems to have dropped certain bonuses (and/or made certain bonus choices mutually exclusive without essentially modifying the game files), would be nice to have certain added bonuses from another source.  Though whether some bonuses are freely swappable, like the laser pistol, would remain to be seen.  The wet bar would prolly be more like basically a hull mod that might cost a few bucks to switch around.  While having that cyber eye "patch" installed might just be permanent (parrot and peg leg are optional).
I wasn't always a Judge...

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 12:28:56 AM »

A captains cabin would have no interaction with any other elements.

I might be visually cool. Might work as a menu, with the background elements changing depending on actions taken in your last save (for example, if you defeated REDACTED you might have an Alpha Core on the captains desk), but again - no real gain for a lot of work to make all the assets and code it in.