Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skill that prevents enemy reinforcements from joining  (Read 1948 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Skill that prevents enemy reinforcements from joining
« on: June 10, 2021, 11:40:40 AM »

Someone on Discord mentioned Lightning Strike from Total War series, which is a skill that lets you attack an enemy army with your army, without letting any side reinforce. Useful for picking apart enemy that spams armies with your single elite army. This sounds like a good idea for (a part of) tier 5 leadership skill.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Skill that prevents enemy reinforcements from joining
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 04:14:54 PM »

I like this. It’s super annoying when a fleet that doesn’t even seem that close gets lumped in and suddenly you’re right 100 ships.....

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »

one skill at that tier makes your enemies get no reinforcements, the other skill makes you get reinforcements from farther away but with a delay (the same way the player can join a battle that they ran into halfway thru)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:43:14 PM »

This looks like a job for Story Points
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »

Being able to pick off whatever weak fleet you want sounds overpowered to me. Expensive maybe on the CR recovery, but OP.

So I dislike the idea.

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »

Sounds quite strong, I agree, but I think I could be convinced over a skill that 'delayed' reinforcements instead (e.g. they may only join battle after 1-2 minutes.)

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:49:07 PM »

Being able to pick off whatever weak fleet you want sounds overpowered to me. Expensive maybe on the CR recovery, but OP.

So I dislike the idea.
Stronger than the ability to leash a personal Radiant or 10 extra vents + a 3rd S-mod slot?

I'm not even confident that it's definitively stronger than the T1 Technology campaign skills...

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 02:14:51 AM »

I am against magical skills with 0 logic behind them.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 02:33:40 AM »

So I dislike the idea.
Stronger than the ability to leash a personal Radiant or 10 extra vents + a 3rd S-mod slot?

I'm not even confident that it's definitively stronger than the T1 Technology campaign skills...

So preventing 2 fleets of Redacted from joining into a death ball is weaker then t5? No. It is not.

The only major threats late game come from multiple fleets attacking at once. It would be overpowered. In Total war lighting strike is insanely OP, it allows you easily beat 3-5 armies in 1 turn with a single superior army, the same would be true here. Armies that would have stomped them in a 3-5 vs 1. It would allow after combat instant repairs and CR reset PPT in between fights if you finished the fight without CR loss. Crazy strong, way too strong in this kind of game.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 04:11:04 AM »

Probably has to exempt stations since they can't chase you themselves and can't have supporting ships in their fleet.

Also probably a good idea to make it optional since against many smaller fleets you'd want to engage them all at once to reduce CR loss.

You're blitzing them so fast that the more distant fleet has no time to respond.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

So I dislike the idea.
So preventing 2 fleets of Redacted from joining into a death ball is weaker then t5? No. It is not.

The only major threats late game come from multiple fleets attacking at once. It would be overpowered. In Total war lighting strike is insanely OP, it allows you easily beat 3-5 armies in 1 turn with a single superior army, the same would be true here. Armies that would have stomped them in a 3-5 vs 1. It would allow after combat instant repairs and CR reset PPT in between fights if you finished the fight without CR loss. Crazy strong, way too strong in this kind of game.
Are there any situations, where you have to fight multiple fleets at the same time? Expeditions and Remnant hunting you can anticipate, divide them and take them out one by one. The only other situation where you might be fighting multiple fleets at the same time is if you are ambushed by pirates, pathers or Remnants, and if that happens, would you rather fight all the fleets one by one (using either high-tech that loses 15-20% CR every fight, assuming you win without running out of PPT, so you can only fight 2-3 times before you suffer huge combat performance drop; using low-tech, you are better off on CR front, but you lose hard-to-replace-in-short-time hull and armour. Not unlike CR, eh?), or would you rather turn 360 degrees and moonwalk away for the low, low price of a single story point? SP retreat makes all would-be reinforcing fleets to stand down, whereas fighting does nothing to them and they would still pursue you at full speed.
This skill would do nothing against bounties or omegas.

I suppose you are against the entirety of the current implementation of skills, then?

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »

I can't think of a case where you have to do it. It's more getting to skip doing the dancing required to break them off to solo them. I think the problem is that it would make these situations no threat. Pirates are raiding a system, warning shows up, "lol who cares I can 1v1 all 6 fleets".

My recent frigate run would... butcher doesn't express the speed and ease well enough, it'll have to do. The frigates would butcher a single pirate stack in about 60 seconds, no losses no damage. If I could have just 1v1 them even 6 fleets they'd melt.

I'm less against it now thinking about the limited number of cases, however, point well taken. Please do consider the AI may also have this skill. Can't join allies in the fight, enemy fleet has X skill. Pirate fleet has it and your merchants can't get helped by the patrols now.

Okay, I completely rescind my concern about it being overpowered in Player hands and present the nightmare of the AI fleets having it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 10:12:06 PM »

My recent frigate run would... butcher doesn't express the speed and ease well enough, it'll have to do. The frigates would butcher a single pirate stack in about 60 seconds, no losses no damage. If I could have just 1v1 them even 6 fleets they'd melt.
What frigates are you using? High-tech ones would have 40% in the fourth battle. 20% in fifth. Most others would have 70%, but they are also weaker, perhaps too weak to warrant using them. Quite a damper on chain battling, isn't it?
This is why I don't think it's such a huge issue. You either run into the mob and have to fight them one after another, or you don't get the skill, bait fleets out one by one and get some rest between fights.

***, you can just repair your ships with a SP and circumvent the whole issue. Scaling SP costs would help, but that would be its own thread...

I'm less against it now thinking about the limited number of cases, however, point well taken. Please do consider the AI may also have this skill. Can't join allies in the fight, enemy fleet has X skill. Pirate fleet has it and your merchants can't get helped by the patrols now.
There's a precedent for NPC fleets never using skills that player has access to: navigation, sensors. Some others are heavily restricted, such as Wolfpack Tactics (only small ship mercenary bounties from contacts) or Derelict Contingent (only expdrone bounties from contacts).
It would be nice to have the skill work somehow for AI nevertheless, though. Perhaps NPCs with this skill would have their battles end faster in the campaign map. It makes it obvious why you can't support a friendly fleet: it just died. However, this solution would also make the skill inconsistent, since the player could still support friendly fleets in some specific situations, unless those battles were literally instant.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 02:59:45 AM »

Tempest, Omen and Hyperion to a lesser extent, usually don't use them unless there are big ships I specifically need dead. They'd also not want to fight after 3-4 fleets were dead I'd assume. Maybe 6 would be a bit mad. The SP thing is for sure a different thread, so I'll leave it with what you said.

I don't know, it feels like the skill is in a weird territory. Combat is already instant for players which is mechanically required. AI fleets can join a purely AI battle days after it started and adding more ships extends that join time and could turn into a half the system in a fight. Again not thinking it's OP anymore so much for the player as knowing these 2 things could exist at the same time feels weird.

If it was in my entire concern would be can the AI have it and if so how does it work for them.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »

So I dislike the idea.

Yes it is.

Separating 2 fleets from a death ball can already be done through clever piloting at the Campaign scale; a L5 skill wouldn't introduce anything unique in that regards, it'd just make doing what's already possible easier.

Leashing a Radiant, meanwhile, means you don't even have to bother separating the two fleets since you can just clobber the entire deathball in one fight.
Pages: [1] 2