Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: I'm having a blast!  (Read 954 times)

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
I'm having a blast!
« on: June 08, 2021, 05:29:21 AM »

I realized I've been pretty nitpicky in a bunch of threads here, so I just wanted to set the record straight.

I only recently came back to Starsector after a 3+ year break and I'm enjoying myself a lot. The sector feels a lot more alive and interconnected and building up colonies is surprisingly fun, especially since it makes exploration more meaningful as well. It's a lot bigger too, of course. There's now a storyline of sorts to follow and plenty of secrets to discover along the way. Blowing up stuff is as fun as it ever was, even when the AI has different ideas on how to go about it.

It's probably not as noticeable for those of you who've stuck around this whole time, but I'm thoroughly impressed how much better this game is compared to the last time I played. And I already liked it back then. I'm on my 4th playthrough now and not planning to stop any time soon, so yeah, hell of a dev job!

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having a blast!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »

Yay! ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »

Thank you!!! I'm happy you're enjoying it, and genuinely appreciate you taking the time to say it :D

xescape

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 04:59:15 PM »

There really isn't as much positive feedback on here as the game deserves. Ever since getting it a couple of months ago, Starsector has become my go-to game and I'm really enjoying it as well. A big shoutout to Alex and all the modders!

Kahnmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »

Well, If we're saying nice things about the game I've got one:

In most other games, like minecraft or skyrim, I find that I have a hard time playing vanilla anymore once I've gotten used to mods,
but in starsector I find myself going back to vanilla because the base game is so solid it really doesn't need the help.

Delta_of_Isaire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 12:47:37 AM »

If people whine about something, isn't that a sign that they care?

Starsector really is a good game, yeah. And 0.9.5 has really added a lot of cool stuff that improves gameplay a lot :)

Well, If we're saying nice things about the game I've got one:

In most other games, like minecraft or skyrim, I find that I have a hard time playing vanilla anymore once I've gotten used to mods,
but in starsector I find myself going back to vanilla because the base game is so solid it really doesn't need the help.
+1 to this. Vanilla Starsector is solid. There are a few rough edges that mods can fix, but overall it holds its own.

One particular aspect of Starsector I enjoy is how well-balanced it is. Yes there are outliers like the Doom, and a few rough edges here and there, but the general feel is good. Much better than a lot of big-brand games that are completely unplayable for me without major balance overhaul mods.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 12:50:57 AM »

There really isn't as much positive feedback on here as the game deserves. Ever since getting it a couple of months ago, Starsector has become my go-to game and I'm really enjoying it as well. A big shoutout to Alex and all the modders!
There's not a lot of ways to say "the good is good" without being repetitious. New negative things, by contrast, pop out of the woodwork as the game shifts and the old get stamped out.

Kahnmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 01:40:06 AM »

Negative stuff can get repetitive too.

And if it gets too repetitive it can end up being blown out of proportion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:41:48 AM by Kahnmir »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 02:36:20 AM »

There's not a lot of ways to say "the good is good" without being repetitious. New negative things, by contrast, pop out of the woodwork as the game shifts and the old get stamped out.
Honestly if people didn't address the negative things and argue them into the ground the game likely wouldn't be in the current positive state it's in.

Alex can solve countless problems and improve the game, but only if he knows said problem exists. That is our job if we choose to embrace it and our way to improve the game. Positive feedback is helpful I'd assume but that doesn't solve/address existing problem generally.

I think we've all made our "wow this is amazing" threads at some point. People agree with you and the thread drops off for exactly the reason you state.

Problem threads would be if the front page is covered in "is this game abandoned?" "I demand a refund!" and such. Most of our threads are discussing and arguing mechanics, which is healthy. Or in contrast all positive threads, because that would indicate the mods shut down feedback that they don't like. Games start to die when only positive feedback on game systems is allowed. The mods here allow us to argue about everything, but they don't let us go overboard.

I think the positivity issue will be solved when we have a unified review system like on Steam (for example) and people can give general impressions of the game rather then discussing the current issues.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:41:06 AM by Locklave »