Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector as a mobile app yes? or no?  (Read 1285 times)

Atmos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector as a mobile app yes? or no?
« on: June 06, 2021, 09:54:34 PM »

Just the ship battles not the entire game.
Great way to implement multiplayer.
Can get money from it to fund the actual game and we can finally have this game boxed and shipped!
This is one of my favorite games ever and this would give it a larger community.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector as a mobile app yes? or no?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 10:07:06 PM »

I remember its said that it would be almost impossible, similar to adding multiplayer. But I think once the polish is good and game is finished with long story and true-end game and sandbox it will prob be one of the best selling spaceship games on steam.

With that money I would love it if Alex funded the studio and gives us starsector 2 with multiplayer and on a actual game engine.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 10:13:18 PM »

SS is a solo dev project, even if you were to throw a billion dollars at Alex, the game wouldn't get made any faster - it's his full-time job working on the game and wrangling this forum. He could buy more spritework time from david, or even contributions from other artists - but from what I understand artwork isn't a bottleneck on content (especially seeing as programmer art is good enough to do quick and dirty tests for functionality).

Having to go through your codebase and hook in appropriate calls and methodology whenever you create/replace a piece of the game is what takes a ton of devwork (and then making sure it's not throwing bugs, causing the game to choke by waiting for input at the wrong time, etc). As in the most recent update of getting story missions implemented, as it required touching so many aspects.

Basically, making games is way harder than you seem to think - which is why there's no cheap clone of SS's gameplay on the app store, because it would require actual development time to copy, not the only bottleneck being how many art assets you can crudely trace over and implement like most mobile gachas.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 10:23:29 PM »

I remember its said that it would be almost impossible, similar to adding multiplayer. But I think once the polish is good and game is finished with long story and true-end game and sandbox it will prob be one of the best selling spaceship games on steam.

With that money I would love it if Alex funded the studio and gives us starsector 2 with multiplayer and on a actual game engine.
It is on an actual game engine, and mad props to Alex for doing the work to build it himself unlike so many other games out there.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:38 AM »

Porting the game to phones is not as simple as you think, and abandoning Starsector to work on Starsector Online is not such an easy decision, either.

Atmos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »

Well he could get someone else to develop it on the phone! It would be a nice "flip" just for money to fund the actual game, We all know how engaging the combat is, it's pretty unique nothing really like it that's why I think it would sell. After the money hire a team! Easy!

TotenKopf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 07:45:42 PM »

I sincerely hope this never goes mobile. There is no way you could emulate the control and scale. While I hope Alex works on this forever even if it drives him to the brink of sanity, I wouldn't want him to be subjected to the development of a sad mobile knockoff.

For almost 8 years Starsector has been scratching an intractable itch I contracted from the old Escape Velocity games. Alex deserves to comfortably retire in a location of his choosing with a lifetime supply of boat drinks and coupons for free haircuts.