Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Idea - expanded ship fit system.  (Read 679 times)

BreenBB

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod Idea - expanded ship fit system.
« on: June 06, 2021, 01:36:26 AM »

https://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-nomad-legacy
When I played that mod for Freelancer game I noticed one very neat idea about ship fitting, author made what hull of space ship you buy is basically simply hull, and all stats like energy, heath and etc depend on what equipment you install on ship, like better reactor, armor etc.

I think idea like that can be cool experimental mod for StarSector, make all hulls basically simply hull which only have weapon and fighter slots, and make all stats like Flux Stats, Armor, subsystems, engines as installable equipment like weapons. For example if you want make High Tech Dominator you can take engines, reactor, Plasma Burn from Aurora and 360 shield from Apogee and place in Dominator, if you want both mobile High Tech ship with frontal firepower, and if you want make Low Tech Paragon, you can do that too.

I'm not a modder, but still I think what its neat idea just to share )

About equipment, I don't know if its possible, it theoretically can be made as both items like weapons or as hullmods, but installable items is better call, since its much better to balance, for example make stuff like capital phase skimmer much rarer to obtain, since it will be only one item, while if you found hullmod you can install it on all vessels, which you need to find, you need to defeat Radiant, and still if it installed like weapon you have chance what you can't recover it after battle, and recover simply Radiant hull. Another idea is make all powerful trophy reactors and such be degraded when ship was destroyed and recovered, and d-mods itself is damaged items now, and pristine quality equipment you can only obtain trough exploring or buying by high price.

About OP balance, all ship should have same OP's plus bonus OP depended on quantity of weapon and fighter slots, the better is equipment like reactor and such, the more OP it costs, stuff like Low Tech engines or shields have much less OP, better armor reduce overall mobility and have high OP cost, and etc.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea - expanded ship fit system.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »

I think idea like that can be cool experimental mod for StarSector, make all hulls basically simply hull which only have weapon and fighter slots, and make all stats like Flux Stats, Armor, subsystems, engines as installable equipment like weapons.
Yes, your idea is cool but, unfortunately, it goes against the developer's lore. Also, it would be a full conversion mod. That's too much work for casual modders that are doing this for fun.