Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [0.95.1a-RC6] Trophy s-mods [0.7.2]  (Read 14145 times)

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Trophy s-mods [0.2.0]
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »

Re: crash. Testing a bugfix for it. Out of sheer paranoia: are mess ships supposed to be pristine?

Re: mod description. Yeah, explaining things is not my strong suit. I write fairly slowly (this message took about 15 minutes, for instance), so I'll put off updating the description until weekend. Ludd knows how much time it'll take.

... and allows to recover them without losing S-mods?

Good grief, I'm an idiot. The thought of s-mods on enemy ships not being recoverable has never even crossed my mind. I simply didn't check that all those shiny s-mods flying around can actually be recovered. So the entire bloody mod is even more dysfunctional than I've thought. Well, back to coding. Thank you very much, you've just found the worst bug in this mess.

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Trophy s-mods [0.3.0]
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »

Uploaded 0.3.0. s-mods are recoverable. Crash is gone. And I'm still not a clever person and have forgotten to update the version in mod_info before slapping a tag onto master and updating the OP. Thank you all for help.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Trophy s-mods [0.3.0]
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 05:00:55 PM »

And I'm still not a clever person
Do Not say negative things about yourself like that. Even if you are being joking. You fixed the error and its great!

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Trophy s-mods [0.3.1]
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »

Played with the mod a bit, seems stable enough now? Makes the game surprisingly hardcore - most enemies have s-mods, and you have none.

My one complaint is how it ties the number of s-mods to officers. It means Hegemony will often have 4 s-mods on their patrols, but you have to be lucky to ever see a TT patrol ship with 2. So no high-tech s-modded ships until super late game, but plently of midline/lowtech. Maybe it should just scale with fleet points instead?

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »

Played with the mod a bit, seems stable enough now? Makes the game surprisingly hardcore - most enemies have s-mods, and you have none.

My one complaint is how it ties the number of s-mods to officers. It means Hegemony will often have 4 s-mods on their patrols, but you have to be lucky to ever see a TT patrol ship with 2. So no high-tech s-modded ships until super late game, but plently of midline/lowtech. Maybe it should just scale with fleet points instead?

I think it should be some combination of officer levels, numbers and maybe ship quality. Tri-Tach doesn't really stand out in either officer corps or fleet mass. Although with lower numbers and higher DP per ship TT's s-mod pools should be more concentrated, so maybe that'll work out? Some math and/or experimentation seem to be in order.

(Re difficulty: I have a macabre desire to sell pirates a few high-end blueprints once I get spare ones, just to see the sector burn)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »

TT fleet doctrine is basically ship quality at the expense of everything else. Which makes it even more weird that they get the least s-mods with this mod.

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »

Played a bit with different ways to calculate s-mod pool size and distribute it. Officers + DP for pool size feels bad: however many s-mods everyone else gets, Hegemony gets more. DP for both pool size and distribution is really bad: a Paragon can pretty much always provide itself max s-mods, and when it can't it can leech them off the rest of the fleet (see spoiler below). I think I'll go with DP for pool size and prioritize ships with officers when distributing - the reverse of the current scheme. It looks reasonable at a first glance at least. I won't make a new version out of this alone, I'd like to sort out the lack of variety as well for the next release. But here's an unversioned in-development archive if you wish to try it while I'm mucking about with other things: link.

Yeees, this is fine. This is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with 5 s-mods on a Paragon in a random heavy patrol:
Spoiler

[close]

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »

Officers + DP for pool size feels bad: however many s-mods everyone else gets, Hegemony gets more.
What if it was Officers + DP - D-Mods?
(Do Heg fleets even fly D-Modded ships? I'm presuming so because of an earlier comment about Tri-Tach's not.)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »

Hegemony has medium priority for ship quality IIRC. But since they have a pristine nanoforge they still get no d-mods. TT has to overcompensate with doctrine because they only have a corrupted one.

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »

Officers + DP for pool size feels bad: however many s-mods everyone else gets, Hegemony gets more.
What if it was Officers + DP - D-Mods?
(Do Heg fleets even fly D-Modded ships? I'm presuming so because of an earlier comment about Tri-Tach's not.)

Hegemony has medium priority for ship quality IIRC. But since they have a pristine nanoforge they still get no d-mods. TT has to overcompensate with doctrine because they only have a corrupted one.

For patrols I've observed during that run it wouldn't make much difference. IIRC they had at worst about 10-15% of their deployment cost cut due to d-mods. Pristine nanoforge really carries the Oranges. Admittedly, balance of officer and DP contributions in that run was out of whack (0.19 s-mods per level and 0.05 s-mods per DP) and it should be possible to find a much better one. It'd also require redoing or ditching the distribution bias: basing it on the same values as the pool size has proven to be a bad idea. Bias seems important, something needs to keep s-mods (mostly) on combat ships (crazy ahead or does it? a separate bias for trade fleets to prioritize s-modding freighters sounds cool - and useful. Ofc the mod has to learn to actually build logistic hullmods in first. Is it possible to detect that a spawned fleet is a trade fleet?)

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Trophy s-mods [0.4.0]
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 08:31:07 AM »

0.4.0 is finally out. s-mod pool depends on fleet size now, not on officer levels. Those are used to distribute s-mods. Also switched to a new algorithm to select which s-mods to add. It produces more varied loadouts, and handles civilian ships much better. Flux distributors on Oxen are still on the menu, but so are auxiliary fuel tanks on Drams.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »

Crashes to desktop upon trying to start a new game (fatal: null).
Code
52578 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 11:23:30 PM »

Crashes to desktop upon trying to start a new game (fatal: null).
Code
52578 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException

Is it consistent? If so, could you please post a complete stacktrace? When exactly does the crash happen: when you click on "new game" in main menu, during character creation, or after?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »

Alright, sorry for false reporting. Updating Starsector to rc15 from rc14 fixed the issue. Apparently, there were some undocumented bugfixes.

Loving the increased randomness a lot. Getting a Medusa with expanded deck crew and nav relay and trying to figure out what the hell to do with it is quite fun.  ;D Guess the downside is the decreased overall power level of player fleets, since most S-mods will be minor/situational/nonsensical.

LeoSCfan

• Ensign
  • I have no idea what am I doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »

Does this mod add extra S-mods?
Also what is an S-mod?
I have no idea what am I doing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5