Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ship color and battle arrow  (Read 6515 times)

aleoncenko3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship color and battle arrow
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »

Hello sory if my grammer is bad.
I would like to suggest a ship main color and patern color for example when you refit a ship you could add a main color or add color paterns

And also the battle arrow maybe you could change it when your in battle instead of an arrow there would be a target like in rts

Also i had this problem when in battle i see ship 1000 distance i move my mouse there and loose site of my ship

well thats it

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Ship color and battle arrow
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

It would be cool to have color changes in-game.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

This, a thousand times this.
I already have a sort of color scheme thought out for my ships! :D
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »

This, a thousand times this.
I already have a sort of color scheme thought out for my ships! :D

Yeah, me too. Would love to be able to have different colors for each ship. Or make your own colorset which then could be applied to all the other ships. Now that would be awesome :)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

Ship color would be awesome. I'd love to have something like what Warhammer 40K had, I think they called it the "Army Painter".

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:24 AM »

The game uses sprites, which means that you would have to create separate sprites for each different color scheme. You can already do this, all you have to do is edit the colors of the current sprites. You don't get unique sprites for each ship, but that simply isn't possible at this point.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

The game uses sprites, which means that you would have to create separate sprites for each different color scheme. You can already do this, all you have to do is edit the colors of the current sprites. You don't get unique sprites for each ship, but that simply isn't possible at this point.

This.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

Well, there could be a way that would work in the future, using the same system as weapon glows. Just have the stuff underneath being grey or something, and the colouration being the RGB Alpha thing that there already is for stuff already. It would mean more work for the modders, but not impossible, I don't think

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

Well, there could be a way that would work in the future, using the same system as weapon glows. Just have the stuff underneath being grey or something, and the colouration being the RGB Alpha thing that there already is for stuff already. It would mean more work for the modders, but not impossible, I don't think
Or use both.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

It could work that way! Not sure how much time it would take off from other stuff though. But a lot of people crave for aesthetic personalization (not me).

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

Or use both.

What do you mean with that? Having both multiple coloured sprites and the overlay thingie?

*is confoos* ???

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »

Or use both.

What do you mean with that? Having both multiple coloured sprites and the overlay thingie?

*is confoos* ???

Simply allowing both methods. It's entirely possible but takes extra bit of coding to have the program distinguish between ships that it's supposed to color-in and those that need to be left alone. It's easy enough but fluff.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »

it would be neat to have a system like this ... possibly where you could have even a flag for your ships hull etc. but currently i think it would be all a bit to "fluff" i would rather see something like this ,if it ever were to come to be, only get worked on after a V1.0 release
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:11 AM »

PNG does not allow alpha layers, so it might be difficult to add colour schemes with just one sprite.

Distant worlds used 'pure' colours for various effects on their sprites. Pure blue, for example, (0.255.0) was used for drives. A line of pixels of this colour was used by the game as a starting point for drive effects. This might be used in SF for colouring schemes, but i really doubt that this will work properly.

Starfarer might use coordinates for this purpose (much like boarders or weapon/drives coordinates we have now). The same thing might be used for decals/icons/badges (with a single point for center of the badge image, for example, and additional info in its hull file for angles and sizes).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:43:59 AM by Okim »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:59 AM »

Another way (much simplier, btw) is to use a special sprite for colours. Like glow sprites for weapons we have now. This sprite should be of the same size and contain mono-chromic image of ship parts that are intended for colouring.
Pages: [1] 2