Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nerf the doom cruiser  (Read 1501 times)

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Nerf the doom cruiser
« on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »

Seriously the thing is so hilariously broken. The only thing that is actually a threat to it is itself as it tends to drive into its own bombs.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf the doom cruiser
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 09:16:17 AM »

The only thing that is actually a threat to it is itself as it tends to drive into its own bombs.

Let it henceforth be known as the Doof Cruiser.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »

It is only overpowered with the new Combat skills (namely elite Helmsmanship, elite Phase Mastery, and Systems Expertise).  Without them, Doom is simply a capital alternative.  Maybe annoying to fight against, but performs close to a 40-45 DP capital.  Once it gets those combat skills, then it can cheese everything.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »

They're actually pretty easy to kill (for the player) usually. If you keep flying towards them, the mines they drop behind you can't do much.

In player/player officer hands with the optimal skills, they are definitely OP though.

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

It is only overpowered with the new Combat skills (namely elite Helmsmanship, elite Phase Mastery, and Systems Expertise).  Without them, Doom is simply a capital alternative.  Maybe annoying to fight against, but performs close to a 40-45 DP capital.  Once it gets those combat skills, then it can cheese everything.

Idk man i was struggling to kill remnants until i shat out 30 doom cruisers. i then proceeded to cheese the remnants with it's phase bombs. Felt like i was cheating it was so braindead/eazy. i almost dint need the heavy blasters on the thing.
edit: i din't go for the combat line on that save. though my officers on it are def OP

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:31:02 AM »

30?  Hell, just throw out 15 Paragons while you're at it...

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »

30?  Hell, just throw out 15 Paragons while you're at it...
I tried. the paragons aren't as good as i'd have hoped against the Delpoyment handicap  :'(

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »

Idk man i was struggling to kill remnants until i shat out 30 doom cruisers. i then proceeded to cheese the remnants with it's phase bombs. Felt like i was cheating it was so braindead/eazy. i almost dint need the heavy blasters on the thing.
edit: i din't go for the combat line on that save. though my officers on it are def OP
I guess you chained each Doom, deploying one at a time?

I tried deploying Dooms as a fleet (letting AI control them while I use Ziggurat), but they get popped eventually by a sufficiently strong Ordos.

And yes, Paragons are not as good as they used to be.  While their firepower seems more or less the same, their durability seems worse.  (Probably thanks to officer core spam and stuff like Target Analysis.)  Deployment handicap hurts them more.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »

Mine Strike was always broken and now it's truly overpowered

Sollaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 02:12:35 AM »

I guess you chained each Doom, deploying one at a time?

I tried deploying Dooms as a fleet (letting AI control them while I use Ziggurat), but they get popped eventually by a sufficiently strong Ordos.

And yes, Paragons are not as good as they used to be.  While their firepower seems more or less the same, their durability seems worse.  (Probably thanks to officer core spam and stuff like Target Analysis.)  Deployment handicap hurts them more.

yep me using a ziggurat and 29 dooms. just set avoid orders on the radiants and pick the rest of the fleet off one by one. Remember to cap the points they are not on so they will send squads of ships away from the biggest deathball. with 29 dooms you can even go full SO, since because of the speed you can just retreat and bring more when CR drops. alas once the doom cruisers have their prey away from the deathball they will just spam the mine strike 20 times and instakill whatever was there when their flux gets high. what seems to make this so OP is the fact that it's a teleporting HE missile, that also regenerates. What was most dissapointing and astonishing was how small the TTK of a lightly guarded radiant was. ziggurat does enough flux damage on the radiant. and the dooms will just pop it out of existance. And if you're not fighting ordos it's even eazier. overall i'd extend and say the ziggurat probably needs some kind of nerf too. but i guess it's meant to be an endgameship so instead i just scuttle it.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 09:47:23 AM »

Actual cheese is:

1. Use mines to redirect the target's shields to the other side, then uphase and unload with a full barrage, then phase again. There's different things you can use for your barrage, but if you can't find anything else, 8 antimatter blasters works fine. That's 8*1400 damage, modifiable by Target Analysis, Energy Weapon Mastery, etc. Just make sure you get ITU so you don't blow yourself up in the process...
2. Mines blow up fighters too. Unlike vs ships though, there is no "minimum distance" away from fighters. So if you see fighters around a ship, it's often better to target the fighters to kill the ship.

A modest nerf is to make it so mines don't detonate on fighters, eliminating cheese #2. Sure they still kill fighters, but they just won't explode due to them. This at least takes away that avenue for cheese.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 11:24:04 AM »

A modest nerf is to make it so mines don't detonate on fighters, eliminating cheese #2. Sure they still kill fighters, but they just won't explode due to them. This at least takes away that avenue for cheese.
This is the opposite of the nerfs I want. Dooms are the best anti-fighter in the game and that's a good thing because fighters can be oppressive when they are strong. Right now fighters are pretty weak, but on the last patch it was very different.

Nerfs that I would like:
- increasing the proximity distance so frigates can more easily evade mines
- reducing the range so they don't control such a large area of the battle
- increasing recharge rate
- decreasing max charges

I don't necessarily want all of these together, but 1-3 of them would tone it back without making the ship too much weaker IMO.

The biggest problem for me is elite phase mastery. I honestly think it should be removed from the game, but a heavy nerf (to 25% or something) would probably be ok.

Soda Savvy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »

Ignoring that half the time phase ships are (for me at least) annoying to fight and boring to play, the Doom's system is just dull. It's the equivalent of a 'Spawn Bomb on Target' console command.

Why can't it have something more interesting and befitting the name Doom, like a ship system that shuts off flux dissipation in the target, or locks the shields on for a few moments, or shuts down fire control for point defense.

Each of those are things that don't take away control from the player when on the receiving end, but force an immediate reaction of some sort to avoid imminent doom, while still suggesting imminent doom. All three also would require the Doom to dephase and engage directly, while still risking return fire.

CanaldoVoid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 02:37:53 PM »

Ignoring that half the time phase ships are (for me at least) annoying to fight and boring to play, the Doom's system is just dull. It's the equivalent of a 'Spawn Bomb on Target' console command.

Why can't it have something more interesting and befitting the name Doom, like a ship system that shuts off flux dissipation in the target, or locks the shields on for a few moments, or shuts down fire control for point defense.

Each of those are things that don't take away control from the player when on the receiving end, but force an immediate reaction of some sort to avoid imminent doom, while still suggesting imminent doom. All three also would require the Doom to dephase and engage directly, while still risking return fire.

Agree, it's fun to use the first time you get it, then you realize it's just kinda broken, it's not very fun to use, and it's not very fun to fight against either, the other phase ships, while annoying as ***, are better balanced.

The mines are just OP, and they mess with the AI too easily opening up their shields for free, no risk involved, across the battlefield so you, or your fleet can abuse them.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »

My last playthrough had a ton of fun causing all kinds of havoc in a (mostly, some logistical consensuses had to be made) maxed-out Doom throughout. That said skills can definitely boost the Doom beyond where it should be, even for a phase cruiser that's supposed to be on the level of a capital ship.
Pages: [1] 2