Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help with a mission: Wolf pack  (Read 9393 times)

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
help with a mission: Wolf pack
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »

I'm having trouble figuring out how to handle this mission and play the game in general. I don't seem to have a good grasp of the weapons for the ship. In this mission, I'm given some purple gun that seems really weak and doesn't do much, a green gun that has a charge feature but charges way too slow compared to just rapid firing, and some kind of missile. After the mission starts, a lot of ships come charging down to the bottom of the map, but I can't seem to stop all of them at once. I tried spreading out my ships, but the war room doesn't show me the incoming ships so it's hard to place them and play goalie. My ships don't even seem that effective besides the one that I'm piloting, and that one goes down pretty fast also.

I'm having trouble piloting the ship and doing a sideways motion. I'm trying to get some speed and then swing my ship into a 90° angle so that I'm flying sideways and shooting, but it's not working right. Can someone advise me how to do this mission and pilot the ship? Also, are we allowed to make YouTube videos?

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: help with a mission: Wolf pack
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »

A goalie?  Nonononono.  You rush forward and attack them at their end, then intercept side to side targeting the fore most runner.

Start off with your entire wolf pack as a group, you need to start the pain early.  Put the tempest frigates on objective capping missions and make damn sure you cap the nav buoys any speed advantage the enemy gets is detrimental to you.

Start off by shoving a sabot into the fleeing enemy ship from afar, these do kinetic damage and are great against shields, (although the freighters don't use any unless you fire high explosives at them).  Furthermore, once they have flux damage they lose their thruster boost and are forced to slow down.  Then rush in with pulse lasers by keeping the enemy to your fore and rip off the rest of his shields and cut a hole through his armor.  Soon as you realize you're doing inner hull damage:  Shove an antimatter blaster shot into it.  Having a higher flux also increases your pulse laser damage, by super charging it.  Never use shields unless you're actually fighting a non civilian ship, as this will reduce your firing rate.  Furthermore, vent all flux every chance you get.  Having 0 flux gives you that engine boost you need.

Uploading some crappy guide video to youtube.  Two hours from now it - should - be available.

Done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJHCaj09q6c
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:01:37 PM by Qloos »

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »

Thanks a lot, I look forward to seeing the video and seeing how other people play. Obviously I'm not doing it right. I just tried again and the same thing happened. Everything just goes flying right by me, and I can't do enough damage before they're all gone.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »

It's up right now, actually.  Note the "super charged" and "engine boost" messages in the bottom left, next to my speed indicator.

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »

This was great. Very helpful, and your piloting is a lot better than mine. I think I could do better, if you could answer a couple questions:

1) I notice you are using multiple waypoints on the map. How are you deciding who goes where? Rephrased, how do you know which ship is appropriate or are you just picking randomly?
2) Your camera angle looks better than mine. I'm playing on 1920x1200, and my ship usually stays at the middle of the screen. How do you push your ship over to the side so you can see a little farther to your target?
3) There are a couple moments where you successfully strafe and pull your ship back. How are you keeping your aim or is it just practice?
4) Before you engage the target, how do you approach without getting clobbered?
5) Towards the end of your video, at 4 min. and 15 seconds, I'm not really sure what you are doing with your war room and the red arrows.

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »

Also, if you could leave that video up for little bit so I can refer to it, that would be great. There's a lot of stuff in there I'm not doing yet that I didn't know about, but I should be doing.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »

1)You have a huge technological and total number of munitions advantage in this mission, the challenge is keeping objectives  in your hands to keep your speed boost so you can run down fleeing enemy vessels.  The only real hazard is keeping your torpedo bombers away from enemy fighters.  Basically I kept my light strike crafts contesting the nav points and chasing down fleeing vessels.

2) 1024 X 768  :(  Use your mouse and scroll to the sides, and you can push "Z" to extend those boundaries to look farther afield.

3) When you start strafing, your ship immediately stops listening to your arrow keys for turn directions and instead begins to rotate towards the direction of your mouse.  So to circle strafe - turn and back away from an enemy to keep him in range you simply point the mouse at the enemy back up and hold shift left or right arrow key.

4) All the enemies in this mission are using projectile based weaponry, and they seem incompetent when it comes to leading their shots to hit you, especially when you strafe.

5) I actually gave no new orders, I was just checking ship locations during that segment.  The red arrows indicate attack orders, he'll follow those orders in sequence.  Just making sure he's keeping busy.

This mission is in essence: A time attack sheep hunt.

Any other missions you wish recorded?  I enjoyed that.
((Also, I'll leave the video up, it's just unlisted because it has a full song on it and may be frowned upon by the license holder))
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:57:18 PM by Qloos »

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »

So the red arrows are orders you are giving to your units to attack? Is this just right clicking with the proper group selected? Let me master this mission. I would enjoy further videos; I want to figure out this stuff first! Thank you  ;D

Let me work on that strafing and camera work...

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »

Believe it or not, no success yet, but I'm doing a little better. I think it would be easier if I could target lock the ship I'm going after instead of trying to keep controls going for separate things. I think this would also allow you to operate separate turrets.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »

Are you setting weapon group 2 to autofire?

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »

I'm not. I have been retrying the same mission now for about two hours, and I only let eight through. At the very least, I'm not dying anymore, but I can't seem to get them all fast enough. I have 150-200 boost on the right, achieved by taking control of the field targets.

After I take control, I always lose about three or four straight down the middle. Trying to figure out how to stop that. It happens even when I recruit the final two ships to stand guard in the middle. They just blow right by.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »

You should set group 2 to autofire, as the automated gunner charges the pulse laser fully before each shot.  This does extra damage.  If you insist on doing manual, you need to hold the fire key for half a second before releasing to get a high damage shot off, while at the same time: Rapid clicking.  Which is tricky at best, furthermore: manual control prevents you from using your aft point defense lasers, which are handy at fending off the freighters little helpers.

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »

I can't believe it, I only let four through this last attempt, and I still lost. So close. Going to post a video of a couple of my attempts, as soon as they are done compressing and uploading.

cyborg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

Attaching the winning image. 59% after the last few hours of banging my head against the wall. Only let three in this time!

Finally, I did it. Thank you for the help, there was a ton of things I was doing wrong and wasn't even close before your assistance. I can now control my fleet, better with the weapon systems, and I now can strafe properly!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »

Congratz.
Pages: [1] 2