Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Calculating the distance between systems in sublight  (Read 2379 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Calculating the distance between systems in sublight
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »

Hmmm, looking at the map scales more closely, none of it makes any sense.

The in-system map grid cells are apparently 1 ly across, and the hyperspace grid cells are also supposed to be 1 ly across, so my solar system that is like 15 ly across (based on the in-system map) somehow fits in a 1 ly grid cell in hyperspace and is less than 3 ly away from the nearest star. The units on the in-system map really should be changed to something more reasonable like AU (Alex pls).

theres like a 99.9999% chance that alex just forgot about that UI wait where does it actually say that? Im looking & cant find it in the UI anywhere
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 05:02:48 PM »

Bottom left hand corner of them map, there is a little bar of alternating colors with units above it, and it appears to indicate that each grid cell on the map is 1ly x 1ly. I'm running mods but I don't think they would affect that.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 07:01:35 PM »

oh its only there when u open the fuel overlay. And I guess that the game does use LY's when u set a course, it tells u what the distance is -- it doesnt say that its LY but I can infer from the map scale that thats LY too
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 07:08:26 PM »

The in-system map grid cells are apparently 1 ly across

(They're not! The scale ruler thing just remains in the in-system grid for general reference purposes, but it's clearly not light-years in-system, that'd be... odd.)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 08:55:00 PM »

oh its only there when u open the fuel overlay. And I guess that the game does use LY's when u set a course, it tells u what the distance is -- it doesnt say that its LY but I can infer from the map scale that thats LY too
That makes sense. I just leave the fuel overlay on all the time so I didn't realize it disappears.

The in-system map grid cells are apparently 1 ly across

(They're not! The scale ruler thing just remains in the in-system grid for general reference purposes, but it's clearly not light-years in-system, that'd be... odd.)
Ah that makes sense. Maybe it should disappear when you switch to the in-system map? Or show the right units. It definitely looks like it's the scale for in-system since it still changes with map zoom and stuff.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2021, 12:59:50 AM »

Hyperspace is non-euclidean, the distances between systems are greatly compressed. A system's presence in hyperspace doesn't even have the same proportions as it does in real space, objects that are very close to the star look pretty distant from it while very distant objects tend to be much closer to the star in hyperspace than real space.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2021, 03:27:29 AM »

I wonder how hyperspace works. I think that there's one fitting explanation, that unlike real space, hyperspace expands near gravity wells and contracts in empty space.
It really is the best way to explain it in accordance with in-game mechanics.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »

Ah that makes sense. Maybe it should disappear when you switch to the in-system map? Or show the right units. It definitely looks like it's the scale for in-system since it still changes with map zoom and stuff.

It does seem to cause some confusion so... let me make a note to remove it from the system map.
Pages: 1 [2]