Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Calculating the distance between systems in sublight  (Read 2372 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Calculating the distance between systems in sublight
« on: June 04, 2021, 12:25:08 AM »

(Pulled from a comment of mine in another thread)
This all presumes a burn rate of 11 (because thats what my fleet does & measuring this with sustained burn is hard).

If you go to one jump point in Galatia and set a course for the other jump point, in-system it's a 2 day trip, out of system its about a .2 day trip. The trip from Galatia to Corvus in hyperspace is a 1 day trip so by sublight that would take 10 days, which is the equivalent of going from Galatia to Westernesse in hyperspace so if the game had no hyperspace & was all 1 map at its current scale it would take a solid minute & a half of burning through the deep black of deadspace, or at a sustained burn of 20 about 45 seconds, to get from the star of Galatia to the star of Corvus

But, the core worlds are notably very close together. By that measurement, the time to burn from Galatia to the nearest procgen system the hard way would be 80 days, which means if there were no hyperspace & the game remained at its current scale, crossing from the core to the outer rim would take 12 uninterrupted minutes of burning through the darkness of space, left alone with your thoughts and hoping to god you brought enough supplies
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:34:30 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Calculating the distance between systems in sublight
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:33:06 AM »

Even close stars are a few lightyear apart from eachodther in real life. So if you can get to one in 80 days, then we can assume that "sublight" is not so sublight :D

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:35:02 AM »

OH NO i should have said realspace, not sublight! welp, i said it in the title so we're all just gonna have to live with it
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 03:24:32 AM »

There is a flaw in your assumptions: a planetary system is not ~0.2 light years in diameter. Pluto for example is ~0.0006 ly from our sun.

Or in other words, star systems are much much bigger in hyperspace than they are in real space. Ergo, in-system travel is way below light speed.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:27:47 AM »

No you're not going at the same speed in and out of systems, you can't just map it 1:1.

Assuming the Sol System as our baseline comparison, it's got a diameter of 180 AU. Distance between two jump points is usually less than half of that, so let's assume about 60-70 AU? Takes 2 days to cross.

There's 63241 AUs per lightyear.

It would take a long time to cross to the next system over at real-space burn speeds. There would be time savings over extreme distance because, while not modelled in-game, you would keep accelerating until the halfway point so you'd be going a lot faster and you'd also get the benefit of lorentz contraction cutting down on the distance you're travelling.

Edit: What Safarijohn said.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:30:14 AM by DatonKallandor »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 03:29:53 AM »

it's the game's scale, not mine. I physically measured it, like with a stopwatch & everything. If u dont like it take it up with alex lol

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:31:02 AM »

You don't seem to realize you're switching between two different scales when you jump to hyperspace.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 03:41:43 AM »

I do, the basic premise of the post is to treat the game's scale as if it were consistent. If something someone says makes sense under the pretext of its foundational presumption, pretending not to know that they they're operating on that presumption is not the own that you think that it is. This is literally wild to me. Imagine going into a thread about KSP & going "but those calculations dont work bc the Earth is not that size!". Like, dude, nobody is talking about Earth, we are talking about a fictional videogame which operates on a different scale than IRL. I didn't realize when I posted this that I'd need to explain the concept of fiction. Theres a lot of weird sandbagging on this forum
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:00:06 AM by Deshara »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »

I wonder how hyperspace works. I think that there's one fitting explanation, that unlike real space, hyperspace expands near gravity wells and contracts in empty space.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »

I do, the basic premise of the post is to treat the game's scale as if it were consistent. If something someone says makes sense under the pretext of its foundational presumption, pretending not to know that they they're operating on that presumption is not the own that you think that it is. This is literally wild to me. Imagine going into a thread about KSP & going "but those calculations dont work bc the Earth is not that size!". Like, dude, nobody is talking about Earth, we are talking about a fictional videogame which operates on a different scale than IRL. I didn't realize when I posted this that I'd need to explain the concept of fiction. Theres a lot of weird sandbagging on this forum

Do you know why all the references to real world measurements have been slowly removed from the description of weapons and ships over the years? It's because of users like you, lol. It's a game - everything is in subservience to that goal, which is why there's been THREE different implementations of economic systems, going from granular to broad-strokes as it became apparent a highly detailed simulation doesn't fit the game starsector is.

Edit: In case you don't understand: Nothing you see in-game can be taken as a good representation as to the object's actual relevant sizes/distances - which is why alex refuses to ever give hard numbers for the sizes of ships, and only mentions that the big ships are MUCH larger than the in-game scale difference would suggest.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:22:47 AM by Ishman »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »

Do you know why all the references to real world measurements have been slowly removed from the description of weapons and ships over the years? It's because of users like you

LMFAO
literally doing the "this is what they took from you" meme but about real world measurements in a scifi videogame and without irony
I'm very sorry that I, specifically, caused the hit scifi videogame Starsector to not use real world measurements, which is bad. How can I make it up to you?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »

Do you know why all the references to real world measurements have been slowly removed from the description of weapons and ships over the years? It's because of users like you

LMFAO
literally doing the "this is what they took from you" meme but about real world measurements in a scifi videogame and without irony
I'm very sorry that I, specifically, caused the hit scifi videogame Starsector to not use real world measurements, which is bad. How can I make it up to you?
You must burn your research, smash the memory drives, and embrace Ludd! :P

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 10:23:55 AM »

Hmmm, looking at the map scales more closely, none of it makes any sense.

The in-system map grid cells are apparently 1 ly across, and the hyperspace grid cells are also supposed to be 1 ly across, so my solar system that is like 15 ly across (based on the in-system map) somehow fits in a 1 ly grid cell in hyperspace and is less than 3 ly away from the nearest star. The units on the in-system map really should be changed to something more reasonable like AU (Alex pls).

Also, it's fairly obvious that distances between things in hyperspace are not necessarily proportional to distances between things in realspace.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »

I wonder how hyperspace works. I think that there's one fitting explanation, that unlike real space, hyperspace expands near gravity wells and contracts in empty space.

That has always been my assumption.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

There is a flaw in your assumptions: a planetary system is not ~0.2 light years in diameter. Pluto for example is ~0.0006 ly from our sun.

Or in other words, star systems are much much bigger in hyperspace than they are in real space. Ergo, in-system travel is way below light speed.

Great now that information is stuck in my brain and I don't know what to do with it. Also interesting.
Pages: [1] 2