Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Did this last update buff [redaacted] to the ***?  (Read 7349 times)

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Did this last update buff [redaacted] to the ***?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »

Keep in mind, that this is not a complaint. It's just a comparison to explain, that the ziggurat is not the ultimate advantage and broken ship. Im happy with the mechanics as they are!

When there is a bigger fleet anyways, the superiority of the ziggurat is definitly no more.

I use fleets as small as possible to get as much bonus experience as possible. The remainder stays at home. Any ship i don't have means more bonus and more Storypoints and less supplies and fuel to spend. So my main fleet consists now of a Ziggurat, a Radiant and a Revenant. I prefer the ziggurat mostly because it concludes battles faster and because i cannot make a reversible skill set for a full optimized paragon. The permanent skills make it a hard decision to do so.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:37:50 PM by Kohlenstoff »

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »

I think [REDACTED] fleets are somewhat buffed nowadays compared with 0.9.1a, but they're still pretty manageable.

Back in 0.9.1a my endgame fleet could handle 2-3 full Ordos at once for vanilla; with mods it could handle basically anything until PPT ran out (Drovers with officers and hardened subsystems), so roughly 6 or 7 Ordos fleets.

Currently for 0.95a the vanilla fleet's working on a single Ordos fleet, although at this point it could probably handle 2 Ordos fleets at once. But I think a lot of what players may not account for is that with 0.95a, there are a lot of gameplay changes, so it takes a lot of tinkering and experimentation to figure out what's the new optimum fleet. So it seems "harder" simply because the old fleet compositions and strategies no longer work as well as they did in 0.9.1a when everything was already figured out.

Keep in mind that you the player also has new toys to play with vs [REDACTED] fleets. For example, solar shielding also means shields take less energy damage now. So they're almost mandatory for most [REDACTED]-capable fleets. Also, despite their status as an endgame fight, I would actually recommend doing the [SUPER REDACTED] fights before [REDACTED], because those fights can give you unique (but limited amounts of) weapons which can help a lot versus [REDACTED]. So they make farming [REDACTED] for cores a lot more straightforward.

There are a whole range of different fleet compositions to handle [REDACTED] fleets now. They probably existed in 0.9.1a as well, but they were probably just covered up by Drover spam. Just off the top of my head:

1. I usually use Aurora or Doom as flagship (fast, heavy burst damage, to finish off ships quickly then back off and vent).
2. The main "line" can be many things. Auroras, Champions, Furies, Falcon P's (Sabot spam), when I have time I actually want to mess around with Dominators a bit but just haven't had time. Capital ships like Radiants, Odysseys, Paragons, Onslaughts, etc. also work.
3. A couple of fast ships to help capture objectives at the beginning. Hyperion, Medusa, Fury, etc. Generally I don't find it useful to try to hold on to objectives (when you park your own ships over them to take the ships which the enemy fleet sends to capture them, yes you split up their fleet, but you're splitting up your own fleet as well), but it's helpful to get several at the beginning to bump your DP up to 55% of battle size (getting the full 60% can be difficult, so 55% is what I plan for), then just focus on killing the enemy fleet as quickly as possible without worrying about objectives.

For the Zig, yes CR recovery is problematic; however what you can do is fight two (or more) fleets at once rather than taking them separately. This allows you to use up all of your PPT, thus decreasing the supplies and time you need to recover. Also, it helps with your battle size bonus to XP, which goes up to +500%. Since battles are limited by battle size anyway, it's not like you're actually fighting the whole fleet at once; rather, they basically get "funneled" into an initial deployment fleet, followed by a trickle as you kill their ships.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2021, 11:49:38 PM »

The Ziggurat uses 50 % CR per Deployment.
There's y'er problem: You haven't stuck enough D-Mods on it! :P
(Excepting that D-Mods only reduce the cost to restore CR, unlike what the wiki says.)
D-mods don't change the CR percent used per deployment.

Keep in mind, that this is not a complaint. It's just a comparison to explain, that the ziggurat is not the ultimate advantage and broken ship. Im happy with the mechanics as they are!
Oh man, I can't wait until you find that cheaper, non-unique, yet just as powerful phase cruiser...

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 01:18:15 AM »

Oh man, I can't wait until you find that cheaper, non-unique, yet just as powerful phase cruiser...
And why do you want to bring my attention to the Doom with the little Mine trick? Offtopic -The mine trick is actually broken, because the AI prioritizes the mines and lets the shields open for anything else. But its only that broken because the AI reacts wrong. But This does neither make the Ziggurat as broken as others say nor change the paragon nor my preference of my fleet.-/Offtopic
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:25:48 AM by Kohlenstoff »

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 12:25:08 AM »

He's right though, if you're going to have views on the game's difficulty you should make it obvious in your very first post, and title that you're using mods to make the game harder or easier.

If you were using the same mods with the previous version, then the results should be the same, no? So it's still valid.
Starship Legend didn't relaly change between 0.91 and 0.95, so any difficulty spike cannot be due to it - especailly if you are comparing multiple playtroughs.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 12:36:26 AM »

If you were using the same mods with the previous version, then the results should be the same, no?
No. Let's exaggerated for easy numbers:

Mod A doubles the effectiveness of ships in combat.
Enemy B receives a 10% boost tweak.

Because of the mod, enemy B is now 20% stronger than before with the same mod activated.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 02:38:48 AM »

If you were using the same mods with the previous version, then the results should be the same, no?

Because of the mod, enemy B is now 20% stronger than before with the same mod activated.

It's actually not even an exageration actually, it's more or less what's happened to Starship Legends.

Sundog (I love you by the way, keep hurting me) more or less had the AI fleet bonuses in his mod scale differently depending on the factions, with Remnants getting the most buffs, which is in line with vanilla where the same happened overall in 0.91.

Now that remnants got double or even more your total Officer Skill Points, now that all their skills are Elite and worth more than yours despite being more numerous, now that Remnants get 3 Commander Skills (Flux Regulation,Coordinated Manouvers, Electronic Warfare) applied to all their fleets (while all other factions only get two) and now that the Deployment Point Balance is heavily dependant on officer skill quantity, Starship Legends improves the already massive buffs Remnants get even further, probably a lot more than 20% and you're unlucky enough to get things like
1)Improved damage
2)Less shield damage taken
3)better top speed
4)Improved Repair speed
5)Improved Weapon range

..and so on. It could be a lot closer to 30% harder for you even if we account for the modifiers your ships are getting. If a mod buffs both you and the enemy with the same percentges overall then the enemy that already has better stats than you will have an even greater advantage.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 03:29:18 AM »

There is no "doubles effectiveness of ship in combat" mod that works like you describe (that I know of).

And when I say "should be the same", that means that if Mod A gives a ship 10% more shield, it also gave 10% more shields in 0.91, so it's not the mod that changed the numbers, it's the base game. That change many not mesh well with the mod, with all the stacking buffs.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »

not sure why this post is even still going. it was asking a VERY simple question, which was factually answered almost immediately. there was not a single COMPLAINT about the game being harder, just a query into whether [redacted] had been buffed. which a bunch of seemingly slow people took to mean 'oh noes game too hard wah'.

think yer wasting yer time elpresidente, if these people could read they never would have had misunderstood this post so poorly.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »

If a post inspires wider discussion, it highlights a key issue - even if the OP is simplistic at face value.

Discourse doesn't automatically mean disrespect or conflict. In fact, lack of discourse is one of the reasons why collaboration is so difficult.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 01:39:09 AM »

If a post inspires wider discussion, it highlights a key issue - even if the OP is simplistic at face value.

Discourse doesn't automatically mean disrespect or conflict. In fact, lack of discourse is one of the reasons why collaboration is so difficult.

this is kinda the problem with modern society. being challenged isnt an 'issue'. and 'discourse' nowadays seems to almost always be someone trying to convince everyone else something that isnt a problem is a huge, dire, imminent threat.

difficulty isnt an issue. and even if it were, there are OPTIONS available to tone it down. therefore, any discussion about the 'issues' around difficulty are non-issues that will only fuel a non-discussion of people pat each other on the back. also known as a circle jerk.

edit - come to think of it, mebbe 'easy' mode was a mod only option. which still renders this discussion meaningless, as it has turned into bitching at me not stating i was using mods.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:54:02 AM by Stormy Fairweather »

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 11:43:49 PM »

not sure why this post is even still going.

Because people like to talk about StarSector?

think yer wasting yer time elpresidente, if these people could read they never would have had misunderstood this post so poorly.
a) I'm not to blame for other people misreading/reading into or misunderstanding a thread
b) Why single me out? Unless you somehow missed it, I was DEFENDING you. (in a way)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 01:40:05 AM »

singled you out because ya were defending me.

i like talking about starsector too, but i want no part of a conversation about making the game easier.

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 11:35:13 PM »

If you don't want to be part of a conversation, it's easy to just ... not talk about it.

Is that the reason for everyone else to stop discussions? No.
Pages: 1 2 [3]