Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] (To be) Exhaustive Guide on how to fight and field [Redacted]  (Read 27233 times)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile

That logic behind Remnants not using the Hammer Barrage does make a lot of sense, unless we're willing to hypothesize that they scavenged Hammer pods and the Hammer Barrage from both the Luddic Church and the Pathers during their ongoing crusades on the fringes of the sector to hunt the slaves of moloch :)
Hmm...can weapons be destroyed if a ship is disabled in combat and recovered after that ship's faction wins the battle? If so it is feasible that, say, a Pather fleet once managed to wear down a Radiant (or other Remnant ship), their military contacts do offer contracts against Remnants so they do at least send people to fight them, only to lose the actual battle. Afterwards the Remnants recovered their recoverable ships, noted the destroyed weapons and refitted them with what was available, which would be the Hammer Barrages.

You could do interesting stuff with that, actually. You could leave regular Remnants with only the pristine, fully loaded and scaled loadouts that the Tri-Tachyon would have outfitted them with during the First AI War, and add (D) skins of Remnant ships with D-mods indicating that they've been destroyed in a fight before, with more erratic loadouts to reflect the fact that they've had to replace some of their original weapons with salvage. Including Hammer Barrages, undergunned mounts, empty mounts, etc. Not sure if skins would use separate .variant files, actually, but considering that one Sunder (D) has a medium energy slot instead of a large I presume so? Hope so, at any rate. Worldbuilding through mechanics has always been a favorite of mine.

Nevermind my speculation on the Annihilator variant of the Radiant. I can fit two Plasma Cannons at the front :P
Yeah, the old Autopulse + Expanded Magazines combo is only good on ships that either use a lot of Autopulse/(Heavy) Burst Lasers/Paladins, or that simply cannot handle the flux output of a single Plasma Cannon. Otherwise a Plasma Cannon is better in every situation, both OP wise and damage wise (Autopulse is decent burst, but afterwards it's sustained damage is garbage).

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

I use 5 Glimmers with integrated gamma cores with integrated

Hardened shields, ITU, and front shield conversion

front shield conversion actually makes the ai stay alive for way longer lol and they count towards the officer limit meaning you can deploy a lot more when fighting enemy remnants

I would've probably Integrated Unstable Injector instead of Front Shields, to make sure the Glimmers are as hard to catch (without using Safety Overrides) as possible.

I personally played with 6 Gamma core Glimmers which were 24 skills in total since I integrated all of them into their respective ship, it's the best I could do since I was a good deal over the 240DP limit. Do 5 glimmers all with beta cores stay above the 42% CR malfunction treshold? How many Betas can you fully integrate before that starts happening, provided you stay at or under 240 combat ship deployment points in total?

To @AcaMentis

Introducing D variants of Remnant ships using unorthodox weapon loadouts would be something I'd love to see Vanilla do, despite remnants as a faction needing love in many other places which would come first.

As for the Autopulse vs Plasma discussion, you are correct.

The Autopulse is a good weapon that's easy to fit and to keep going. It's more or less a large energy weapon version of the IR Pulse Laser but with comparatively lower DPS and a large amount of stacked charges.

A single emptied out Autopulse only requires 250 flux per second to fire but it's good damage to flux ratio makes it quite decent if stacked or supported by weapons able to exploit the hard flux buildup, which is what the "Autopulser" Radiant Variant does, coupling 4 Autopulse Lasers buffed extended magazines with a single Tachyon Lance.

The plasma on the other hand is the single most DPS intensive weapon in the game if we take large weapon mounts with limited ammunition out of the equation.
It's got terrifying damage per shot, the projectiles just CHAD their way through litterally every other piece of destroyable ordnance in the game and it can more or less do everything, from pressuring shields to deleting hull.
The predictable downside is the Flux requirements, which incidentally are also what makes having just two of them so good on the Radiant. A single Plasma Cannon consumes 825 flux per second to fire, which is more than 3 emptied out Autopulses generate (750). Having two at the front hardpoints guarantees the Radiant amazing DPS while also keeping the other 3 large mounts and the 4 mediums still empty and available for you to install litterally everything else.

Having Autopulses will most of the time ensure the Radiant always stays cool on flux (unless you have more than 3 with expanded mags) which will render it very capable of sticking to the enemy and keep using its missile weaponry.

Using just two Plasma Cannons at the front hardpoints will on the bother hand inevitably have the Radiant go up to 90% flux or more no matter what you do, since the Fearless AI has the same tendency to abuse everything you give it access to like the psychotic toddler it is  :P
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile

I personally played with 6 Gamma core Glimmers which were 24 skills in total since I integrated all of them into their respective ship, it's the best I could do since I was a good deal over the 240DP limit. Do 5 glimmers all with beta cores stay above the 42% CR malfunction treshold? How many Betas can you fully integrate before that starts happening, provided you stay at or under 240 combat ship deployment points in total?
I use five Beta Glimmers, with maxed out Crew Training and Reliability Engineering on all of them they stay at 50% CR. Although one more and that goes down to 38%. I prefer five Betas over six Gammas, though - more skills, so less chance of them getting blown up.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I use five Beta Glimmers, with maxed out Crew Training and Reliability Engineering on all of them they stay at 50% CR. Although one more and that goes down to 38%. I prefer five Betas over six Gammas, though - more skills, so less chance of them getting blown up.

Ok now I think I've got an even more horrible memory than originally thought and that I actually had 8 Gamma Core Glimmers instead of 6  ::)

Will do some math once I come back from sunbathing. I also caught this pretty thing!

It's a stunningly beautiful green hue Natrix Tassellata. It does not bite, it just likes to hiss very loudly pretending to be a viper if you don't handle it with care to make it feel comfortable!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile

I use an Radiant as companion. I had the luck to get one on the red planet mission. With the right Skills it can have 60 % CR even with Alpha Core. This is enough for 2 full Deployments.

The best non-Omega Loadout for the Radiant is 4 Burst PD-Laser, 2 Tachyon Lances on Hardpoints, 2 Autopulse on Turrets and a Plasma Cannon on Turret. As addition it should get 4 Annihilator Missile Pods. Each Weapon type should be it's own group. Missle Pods should be divided in right two and left two.

It should get heavy armor and hardened Shields as built in mods and integrated Targeting Unit and Resistant Flux Conduits as additional Mods. Remainding OP on Vents until full and the remainder on Capacitors.

Of course it needs an integrated alpha core. It is worth it! The Radiant can really wreck havoc and offers save space during hard battles, if treated correctly. It is also cheap to deploy and fast on the battlefield. It does a good job against any enemy. ´

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I use an Radiant as companion. I had the luck to get one on the red planet mission. With the right Skills it can have 60 % CR even with Alpha Core. This is enough for 2 full Deployments.

The best non-Omega Loadout for the Radiant is 4 Burst PD-Laser, 2 Tachyon Lances on Hardpoints, 2 Autopulse on Turrets and a Plasma Cannon on Turret. As addition it should get 4 Annihilator Missile Pods. Each Weapon type should be it's own group. Missle Pods should be divided in right two and left two.

It should get heavy armor and hardened Shields as built in mods and integrated Targeting Unit and Resistant Flux Conduits as additional Mods. Remainding OP on Vents until full and the remainder on Capacitors.

Of course it needs an integrated alpha core. It is worth it! The Radiant can really wreck havoc and offers save space during hard battles, if treated correctly. It is also cheap to deploy and fast on the battlefield. It does a good job against any enemy. ´

That is a lot of weapons that can be made to work with integrated hullmods, altough I'd still swap some things around to give it a modicum of PD for they AI to stay aggressive.

I'd personally keep the Tach lances on the Hardpoints, cut the Autopulses and swap them with 2 Plasma Cannons instead, slap a Paladin PD in the middle and swap the annihalators for simple burst PD lasers, or Graviton beams if you want it to keep pressuring the enemy along with the tach lances at long range. Everything else then goes into flux dissipation.

Update:
1)Overhauled the Annihalator variant of the Radiant to not use Hammer barrages, it now synergizes them with Squalls and 2x Plasma Cannons instead
2)Overhauled the Eradicator Version to be more offense focused and have all of its missiles able to aim direclty behind it aswell. The variant now does not use Hardened shields
3)Introduced the "Ancient" variant for the radiant, sporting 2x Plasmas, 1 Tach lance and 4 Gravitons as offensive weaponry
4)Eliminated the "Cleanser" radiant variant as it's become superflous with the improved Eradicator and Bastion variants

Edit: nevermind, I forgot to add the "Ancient" variant. Working on it now :P

Edit 2: Overhauled the "Strike B" Radiant to not use Hammer Barrages, it now has 2 Plasma Cannons, 1 Paladin, 2 Cylone Reaper launchers and 4 Sabot Pods.

Edit 3: Gave up on the Ancient variant, it does not work well at all and attempts to make it work have it too similar to the other ones :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:47:00 AM by Arcagnello »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Update
-Fleshed out "The things about [Redacted] making them the strongest faction in the game" section of the thread a bit more more, it's no longer a list, I've added two more aspects that were still missing and the things belonging to the third section have been removed
-I've gotten rid of a lot of typos plaguing "The Vanilla [Redacted] Roster" section of the thread, let me know if there's any more
-I've reformatted the thread a bit, only using font 12-10 sizes and inserting the meaty parts of every section into spoiler tabe. Let me know if you like this more than what was there before :)

I could be able to start reworking the "Things your own fleet should apply (or keep in mind) when fighting the Remnants" section of the thread today, but I'm most likely going to add a "Special Credits" section at the end thanking everyone in this thread for their invaluable help instead. Have a good day!

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] (To be) Exhaustive Guide on how to fight and field [Redacted]
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2021, 04:16:46 AM »

WTF..... I came here to vent and see if I can learn because I'm getting so *** off and after reading the deployment point BS I'm even more mad. No wonder they always have so many f-ing ships. Even if I get 240 points I cant get enough ships. I brought extra ships to sacrifice, tons of kinetics, lots of alpha strike carriers a few tanks and still getting wiped. Sometimes not even from Radiants because they can field so many stinking Brilliants. And contrary to what you're saying about their AI they almost never come forward out of line long enough for me to get decent hull damage. This is so damn frustrating because I don't even care about fighting them but of course these viruses are in every good colonizable system, I just want them gone.

Rant over.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »

It's probably worth updating (or adding) the section on how to use remnants (not loadouts), since the skill system got changed (and the skill to recover redacted got changed as well). For instance, now you can pilot a radiant if you wish. IMO, there's a few different strategies: all in on alpha radiant, all in on gamma frigates (for ECM bonus from elite gunnery implants), mix of gamma frigates and beta radiant, using other ships (less effective IMO but perhaps fun/interesting for some).

There's quite a bit of outdated info in the thread now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »

Recently, I used Gamma Radiant for full max CR.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]