Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] (To be) Exhaustive Guide on how to fight and field [Redacted]  (Read 27237 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] (To be) Exhaustive Guide on how to fight [Redacted]
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »

How about downsize the large to use ion pulser and slap in the extended mag?

I did consider it, but ultimately decided to not underfit any weapon mount to keep it in line with all other Vanilla ship variants. It would probably work better tough.
Autopulse laser was mostly put there as the cheapest, hard flux dealing burst type Large Energy weapon that also scaled with Expanded Magazines.

You do know that vanilla autofit already down-size the large occasionally if there’s not enough OP for whatever reason right?
It’s also a less known fact that some vanilla variants are already skipping small slots, for example, Astrals. Check the codex variants.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:23:31 AM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »

How about downsize the large to use ion pulser and slap in the extended mag?

I did consider it, but ultimately decided to not underfit any weapon mount to keep it in line with all other Vanilla ship variants. It would probably work better tough.
Autopulse laser was mostly put there as the cheapest, hard flux dealing burst type Large Energy weapon that also scaled with Expanded Magazines.

You do know that vanilla autofit already down-size the large occasionally if there’s not enough OP for whatever reason right?

Yes, I've seen Conquests using Harpoon Pods on the large missiles and Heavy Autocannons on the large ballistics. One more reason to Purge Autofit off the Sector with a Heavy Flamer, really.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »

In fact, after checking the brilliant hull spec, it can be WAY nastier than that.
The large and all mediums are universal slots. On top of that, both small slots are synergy.
It is a perfect platform for insane missile spam, doesn’t even need SO for that.

As far as energy SO gunning is concerned, I think it would be more reasonable to fit the large with hurricane or even the cyclone reaper. Your current fit lacks the heavy armor hitter.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »

In fact, after checking the brilliant hull spec, it can be WAY nastier than that.
The large and all mediums are universal slots. On top of that, both small slots are synergy.
It is a perfect platform for insane missile spam, doesn’t even need SO for that.

As far as energy SO gunning is concerned, I think it would be more reasonable to fit the large with hurricane or even the cyclone reaper. Your current fit lacks the heavy armor hitter.

Are you sure you're not looking at the Voidwitch class Custom Brilliant from Arsenal Expansion? I'm pretty sure that's one of the only Brilliant "sidegrades" in the modiverse in which the two medium mounts and the one large turret are turned into Universals. Tahlan Shipworks also has the Karma and Samsara class Relic Cruisers but those have radically different weapon mountings and ship systems. https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.msg329467#msg329467

I might have you beat on that loadout if that's the case  :P
Spoiler
[close]

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:46:40 AM by Arcagnello »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »

Are you sure you're not looking at the Voidwitch class Custom Brilliant from Arsenal Expansion? I?m pretty sure that's the only Brilliant "sidegrade" in which the two medium mounts and the one large turret are turned into Universals. https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.msg329467#msg329467

I might have you beat on that loadout if that's the case  :P
Spoiler
[close]

I was checking fandom during my lunch break so if it’s fake news please update the page for ludds sake.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »

I was checking fandom during my lunch break so if it’s fake news please update the page for ludds sake.

I'm almost 100% sure the Brilliant-class Droneship Cruiser has 1 Large Energy, 2 medium Composite Hardpoints (Ballistic&Energy), 1 medium Missile hardpoint, 1 medium energy turret and 2 small energy turrets as far as avaiable weapon mounts go.

What would there be to update on the OP/these replies? I am unironically asking since I am quite prone to overlooking obvious mistakes I write  :P

Edit
: Whoops I just checked the actual stat screenshot from the OP: The brilliant has 1 large energy, 1 medium energy, 1 medium synergy (energy or missile), 2 small energy and 2 medium hybrids (energy or ballistic).
Spoiler
[close]
Meaning that medium synergy slot could indeed mount a second ion Pulser instead of the Sabot Pod. We could even go absolutely mental and have this supposed "Assault" variant carry a total of 3 Ion Pulsers (and Expanded Mags)with the two additonal ones being slotted in the large energy turret and the medium synergy hardpoint respectively!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 11:00:16 AM by Arcagnello »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »

I might want to leave the small slots empty and just use assault chain gun + heavy mg in the hybrids. Pump some more OP into vent. The burst flux requirement is quite high.

Or a thumper. It’s rumored that for next patch thumper will receive recharging magazines that significantly increases its burst damage but remain the same sustained DPS.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2021, 02:38:15 PM »

I might want to leave the small slots empty and just use assault chain gun + heavy mg in the hybrids. Pump some more OP into vent. The burst flux requirement is quite high.

Or a thumper. It’s rumored that for next patch thumper will receive recharging magazines that significantly increases its burst damage but remain the same sustained DPS.

The Brilliant is the only Remnant ship to get to use Ballistic weapons, not using them for kinetic damage suited for whatever range you intend to have the ship fight in feels like some sort of heresy, but it might honestly just be me.

I'm really looking forward to the Thumper changes. I would also really love some more Vanilla options to deliver Frag damage at ultra close and long range too by the way, basides the recently introduced [Ultra-Redacted].

I'm honestly kinda interested in a mod that adds more tailored variants to ships in general.

Might aswell pull the already poking-out cat out of the bag then:

I've been taking several Remnant Ship Variant notes for a hypothetical, very light mod called "Heavy Metal Sector" (edgy, I know) which aims to provide from 3 to 6 (or even 7, when it comes to Brilliant and Radiant) different variants for every Teal colored murder machine in the Sector you'll encounter.

The aim would be to provide the player with actually competent mid-to-late game enemies to fight against. There will be minimal to no "undermounting", no empty weapon mounts and not as much "Tryhardgnello" as you'd expect from a mod of this kind.

I'm also seriously considering to find a way for this hypothetical mod to bump the radiant DP from 40 to 60 DP.
Fighting a seriously borked teleporting shield wall that barely has any synergetic bit to it sitting at 40DP is one thing, but actually having a competent build fighting you, let alone Post Stress Traumatic Disorder Incarnate (also known as the 4x Sabot Pod, 2x hammer Barrage Radiant) fully deserves 60 Deployment Points, if not more.

As for the timeline of this "Heavy Metal Sector" mod, it's definetly not happening this month and probably not the next one either (unless I get significant outside help) since this Silly Spaghettiman going Herping on weekends has no clue as to what to do to create even the simplest of mod whatsoever; not to mention this whole Wannabe-guide is going to take weeks to even approach being completed, without even considering needing to update the OP at the slightest changes of Remnants coming with new patches.
I would also love this this guide to cover (while obviously giving a massive shoutout to) all the amazing mod-introduced [Redacted] that are spread across the Modiverse, but that's weeks off.

Edit: I've added the Scintilla entry in the Vanilla [Redacted] Roster by the way, plus some color coding. I've been most magnanimous with the Personal Ratings too, I hope you'll notice that, along with the amateurish color coding to it. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 03:16:13 PM by Arcagnello »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »

Quick question:
I've got a missile weapon called "Heatseekers" on the Remnant version file for the Support Scintilla. Does that refer to Harpoon LRMs or Atropos SRMs?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »

I could be wrong but I believe those are Salamanders.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »

I could be wrong but I believe those are Salamanders.

Huh, makes sense. Thanks Thaago!

I guess I'll need to upgrade my Personal Rating of that particular Scintilla variant that uses Pilum+Salamanders without ECCM and two Spark Interceptor Drone Wings without Expanded Deck "Crew" from Wet Noodle to Floppy Linguini then.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2021, 01:37:13 AM »

For reference, weapon_data.csv in starsector-core\data\weapons has a list of all the game's weapons and their corresponding internal ID used by variants. In case you run into more that don't translate 1:1.

Also, something that might be worth noting in the OP from remnants.faction:
"commanderSkills":[ # unlike other factions, can get up to 3 skills depending
   "electronic_warfare",
   "flux_regulation",
   "coordinated_maneuvers",
],
So yeah, apparently Remnants can randomly be even more ECM-happy, faster and/or more flux efficient than their raw stats would suggest. Because, you know, Radiants clearly needed extra buffs. Couldn't be competitive without it...

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2021, 01:53:36 AM »

For reference, weapon_data.csv in starsector-core\data\weapons has a list of all the game's weapons and their corresponding internal ID used by variants. In case you run into more that don't translate 1:1.

Also, something that might be worth noting in the OP from remnants.faction:
"commanderSkills":[ # unlike other factions, can get up to 3 skills depending
   "electronic_warfare",
   "flux_regulation",
   "coordinated_maneuvers",
],
So yeah, apparently Remnants can randomly be even more ECM-happy, faster and/or more flux efficient than their raw stats would suggest. Because, you know, Radiants clearly needed extra buffs. Couldn't be competitive without it...

Oh. OH!

I was actually searching for that! I knew AI fleets had the chance of having Commander Skills but I did not know it for sure! I'll make sure to add this!

Edit: I don't think it would be a bad idea to switch Electronic Warfare for something else, like Crew Training for the time being, while Alex tries to figure out how to overhaul the whole ECM mechanic as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:57:34 AM by Arcagnello »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:25 AM »

Added the Fulgent-class Droneship Destroyer to the Vanilla [Redacted] Roster.

I'm definetly completing that section of the guide today, Glimmer has two variants and Lumen only has one. I've seen enough rage inducing Remnant Ship Variants to last me half a dozen Persean Cycles.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:35:08 AM by Arcagnello »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7