Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why do my ships never vent?  (Read 2732 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Why do my ships never vent?
« on: May 31, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »

I mean, SOMETIMES, they do, but as a general rule even when they are not under threat, and well over half, they simply DO NOT vent. is this because i often put hard shields on my ships? is there anything that i can do to have my ships actually vent?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Why do my ships never vent?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 07:06:05 PM »

Here's a few pointers for having AI controlled ships vent more often:
1)Resistant Flux Conduits not only improves EMP Resistance but also significantly improves vent speed, which facilitates the AI in choosing to vent in shorter "safe" windows
2)The more aggressive the officer personality is the most likely the ship being piloted is to vent. If you ever wonder why Remnant Ships (Especially the big chungus) choose to vent right in front of you sometimes then you can circle it back to them having the most aggressive personality in the game.
3)The more armor and remaining hullpoints the ship that may want to vent has the more the AI will consider to vent, especially if the enemies near it don't have hard hitting enough weapons.
4)The further away the ship is from any enemy or incoming ordnance and the most likely the chance an AI driving a ship high on flux will vent will be. This is one of the reasons I really like to have a combination of good mobility, point defence and medium/long range kinetic firepower on my capitals. They all favour backwards kiting and easy venting in the hands of the AI.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:23:25 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »

hm, aight. thanks, i will keep this in mind when i outfit my fleet next.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »

Have you tried hitting the "v" key?
I wasn't always a Judge...

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 08:42:32 PM »

I mean, SOMETIMES, they do, but as a general rule even when they are not under threat, and well over half, they simply DO NOT vent. is this because i often put hard shields on my ships? is there anything that i can do to have my ships actually vent?
Are you big on Safety Overrides? They prevent active venting.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:39:32 PM »

actually, no. never use em.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 11:54:44 PM »

The thread may not specify but it's about AI controlled ships not venting. Would be nice of you to read the posts in a thread a bit more carefully instead of posting a comment that seems condescending.
I want to believe you didn't actually mean it that way but it still seems a bit unfriendly.
Thank you for keeping that in mind for future posts :)
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 11:57:16 PM »

The AI is rather conservative about venting, I find. I see them do it, but usually only well out of what they perceive to be weapon range and in smaller-scale battles. When there's a lot of ships on the field, they almost never do so.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 01:06:27 AM »

The thread may not specify but it's about AI controlled ships not venting. Would be nice of you to read the posts in a thread a bit more carefully instead of posting a comment that seems condescending.
I want to believe you didn't actually mean it that way but it still seems a bit unfriendly.

I did read it carefully.  It is written ambiguously.  If someone can't be bothered to write a second paragraph, they will get stupid responses.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 01:27:43 AM »

mission accomplished then. i did, in fact, get a stupid response.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 02:54:58 AM »

I did read it carefully.  It is written ambiguously.  If someone can't be bothered to write a second paragraph, they will get stupid responses.
And yet, you're the only one to struggle to draw the correct context from what was already said, with the rest of us finding it sufficient enough to not warrant a second paragraph.

Methinks the OP might not be the issue here.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 04:13:19 AM »

Oh, I forgot a couple of things  @Stormy_Fairweather !

1)Stacking hullmods like Hardened Shields, Solar Shielding and Resistant Flux conduits just to name three instead of investing Ordinance Points into Capacitors will mean the ship will have less maximum flux capacity, which is really going to help the AI choosing to vent!

Now, threse 3 Hullmods are worth 60 ordinance Points in total on a Capital ship and only one of them is expensive enough to warrant imtegration via spending a story point, but they really, REALLY help in massively slowing hard flux build up and making venting a lot faster overall. I would consider investing into all three of them on either cruisers and capitals that have a lot of Ordinance Points for their class, like the Aurora or the Onslaught or the Paragon/Odissey!

2)Good medium to long range point defence will give a bigger window for the AI to vent. Some incoming Pilums sitting but outside Machinegun/Vulcan range can very well jeopardize the AI's attempts to vent. It's not all that necessary on most destroyers and cruisers, but anything generally too slow to properly disengage and vent should have good enough PD to carve itself a "safe haven" in which to vent!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:37:50 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »

And yet, you're the only one to struggle to draw the correct context from what was already said, with the rest of us finding it sufficient enough to not warrant a second paragraph.

Methinks you can't take a joke.  Methinks we shall agree to disagree.  Methinks you're wasting too much time on an internet chat board scolding some random stranger instead of moving on.  Methinks at least one of us finds this entertaining.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »

Methinks you can't take a joke.  Methinks we shall agree to disagree.  Methinks you're wasting too much time on an internet chat board scolding some random stranger instead of moving on.  Methinks at least one of us finds this entertaining.

Methinks youthinks too much.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »

Ok ok, lets get back on topic and not have this devolve further.

Pages: [1] 2