Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Change 'automate' to 'admiral mode'  (Read 1122 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Change 'automate' to 'admiral mode'
« on: May 30, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »

i never pilot my capital ship, always put it on auto. in part because i am lazy, and in part because it is always too easy to cheese ai. and while there are options available to automate yer ship, that appears to be about the only concession to my particular playstyle, which i am almost certain is not unique. i think the folowing tweaks/additions would make the game far more accommodating to admirals.

when yer ship is automated, allow the camera to roam as far as your ships can see. perhaps 'skipping' over voids to avoid having to implement fog of war, rather than locking it to your one ship. (edit - come to think of it, there is no real justification for fog of war in space battles, you would certainly pick em up on yer scanners)
increase max zoom by 50%-100%. i use double myself, and it is about perfect for seeing more of the action.
while automated, allow the player to select their own ships to get information feedback in the bottom left a la yer flagship.
allow us to target enemy vessels the same way, albeit with more limited information
when you dont have any ship selected, provide overall battle data instead, such as ecm ratios and battle progress (mebbe just a slider showing relative deployment)
put yer captain's portrait next to his ship like other officers (petty, but it irks me nonetheless)
make this mode an option when starting battles
have some of the tactical options available outside the tactical screen (such as full assault)
and perhaps a 'theatrical' button that hides the UI.

might be kinda strange that as much as i love the game i prefer to not actually play the part that is considered the primary focus, but organizing and overseeing your forces while having to work around officers that might not respond as well as you like makes it more interesting imo. frustrating as it can be watching your fleet circle AROUND the comm relay rather than capture it, it also adds a level of realism imo. i think a couple of these changes are beyond the scope of modding, so, Alex, if this is ever gonna happen i think it will have to be you guys.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:47:39 PM by Stormy Fairweather »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Change 'automate' to 'admiral mode'
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »

the main thing I want for this playstyle is the ability to assign a second in command to your flagship, or for assigning the player to a ship to not bump the AI officer off of it, or for a skill point that enables that, so you can determine what kind of AI will pilot your ship. Sometimes I go into battle piloting a knife fighting lasher, sometimes I go into battle piloting an eagle with HVD's
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

danando123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 07:09:21 PM »

RTSsector would probably be what we are wanting to exist :D  be able to move ships around like total war games :D where your the spectator admiral lol

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 07:15:39 PM »

hmm, thinking about it, a hullmod that extends how far away from ur ship the camera goes would be completely in-line with the game, AND a low-OP command/flagship hullmod is kind of missing from the game -- operations center is really high cost and it would cross over in usefulness for close support & carrier flagships
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »

RTSsector would probably be what we are wanting to exist :D  be able to move ships around like total war games :D where your the spectator admiral lol

to be honest, i rather like that you dont have complete control, and wouldnt want that to change. if you have no control then all yer decisions are strategic, and if you have complete control all your decisions are tactical. as it is, it's about half and half. which i think is perfect.

hmm, thinking about it, a hullmod that extends how far away from ur ship the camera goes would be completely in-line with the game, AND a low-OP command/flagship hullmod is kind of missing from the game -- operations center is really high cost and it would cross over in usefulness for close support & carrier flagships

wouldnt want it to be a hullmod, tbh. frankly, the camera being anchored really doest make much sense to me at all. logically, a ship capable of even basic interstellar travel would have a computer that would give the captain a virtual display of the entire combat theater, and it is established your ships have scanners that know what and where you are facing. though i do fully agree with yer idea of a 'sub commander'. i might not bother moving my captain around myself, but that is at least partly due to the current mechanics of it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 10:53:19 PM »

I don't think max zoom will be increased. I already can peek beyond the fog of war with current max zoom. It can also make the game run slower.
I also really doubt we'll ever get separate combat skills and fleetwide skills. It's already possible (to some players) to leverage combat skills to perform better than entire fleets.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »

Are you aware that you can press F to view from the location of any ship you control?

It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's more than just setting your flagship to automatic.

FastestDraw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »

Seconding the 'press F to see from the POV of any ship'. Would really like it if it wasn't a hotkey for triggering ship systems - sometimes I'm looking from my flagships perspective and accidentally turn off autopilot.

I don't care too much for the other suggestions, but one here is really important - let me start battles with 'auto-pilot' on. I've lost a lot of flagships because I forgot to press 'u' when I start the battle. This one setting in options would be a massive QOL improvement for my 'go grab a cup of tea while carriers fight for me' playstyle.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 03:02:52 PM »

Are you aware that you can press F to view from the location of any ship you control?

It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's more than just setting your flagship to automatic.

yes, that was what i was referring to with the line about targeting your own ships. yes, the camera will follow a ship, but it doesnt give you the same information feedback in the bottom left you get when you have your flag selected.