Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.96] Small tweaks to Recovery Shuttles / Rugged Construction / Solar Shielding  (Read 3982 times)

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile

3 separate minimods to tweak some of vanilla hullmods, and make them more useful / more worth the OP cost.

(Actual icons in game aren't cahnged)

Recovery Shuttles:
Recovery shuttles still reduce the casualties suffered by fighter pilots by 75%, same as in vanilla.
Now, it also reduces the rate at which the replacement rate decreases due to fighter losses by 7%, so about half the bonus of Expanded Deck Crew hullmod.
(Always thought that recovery shuttles feel practically useless, with how cheap the crew is. Now there's some use in combat as well as on campaign layer)

Solar Shielding:
Reduces damage from solar coronae etc by 90% (was 75%), reduces damage taken from energy weapons by 10% (same as vanilla).
Also removes "Logistics" tag from Solar Shielding.
(For some reason if you first install 2 logistics hullmods, installing solar shielding on top of them won't work, but if you install shielding and then other logistic hullmods - it works fine.) 

Rugged Construction:
In addition to vanilla bonuses, now also reduces crew casualties by 50%.
(In-game description makes it sound like recovering rugged construction ships after the battle is normal occurrence, so it sounds weird that such ships wouldn't have any built in safety features, and just vent its crew after every other battle.)

Tell me if balance feels off or something doesn't work!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 05:55:53 AM by Island »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Recovery Shuttles Buff
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 04:01:31 AM »

I've always wondered why recovery Shuttles did not do this before. You are in fact recovering fighter pilots stranded into a battlefield afterall; this mod implies the recovery shuttles will be recovering pilots as the battle goes on, therefore allowing the ones still able to man a fighter/bomber to go back out again.

The fact RS provides half the bonus of Expanded Deck crew with this mod also makes perfect sense, as it already provides another buff! I could see myself using RS with the help of this mod on most of my fighter-based carriers now, as they need all the replacement rate decrease reduction they can get when the game gets tough!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 05:02:48 AM »

I've always wondered why recovery Shuttles did not do this before.
The short explanation is that crew in the Persean Sector is plentiful - overabundant, in some cases - so recovering people mid-battle doesn't really make a difference. You can recover one guy, but there's always two others on standby, basically. And of course drone LPCs don't use crew at all, so Recovery Shuttles reducing their replacement rate decrease doesn't wash.

That said a simple description could easily justify this. Something like "Compartmentalizes and reinforces the vacuum seal of fighter cockpits, allowing a series of reinforced sensors and drones to quickly identify and recover survivors mid-battle. Sufficiently intact cockpits (which contain most of a given fighter's intricate machinery, especially in the case of drones) can often be attached to a new fighter chassis faster than a carrier's onboard nanoforge can manufacture a new cockpit from scratch.

Reduces crew casualties due to fighter losses by 75%, and reduces the rate at which fighter replacement rate decreases due to fighter losses by 10%."

(Not sure if that description is over the top or anything, but you get the idea.)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »

I've always wondered why recovery Shuttles did not do this before.
The short explanation is that crew in the Persean Sector is plentiful - overabundant, in some cases - so recovering people mid-battle doesn't really make a difference. You can recover one guy, but there's always two others on standby, basically. And of course drone LPCs don't use crew at all, so Recovery Shuttles reducing their replacement rate decrease doesn't wash.

That said a simple description could easily justify this. Something like "Compartmentalizes and reinforces the vacuum seal of fighter cockpits, allowing a series of reinforced sensors and drones to quickly identify and recover survivors mid-battle. Sufficiently intact cockpits (which contain most of a given fighter's intricate machinery, especially in the case of drones) can often be attached to a new fighter chassis faster than a carrier's onboard nanoforge can manufacture a new cockpit from scratch.

Reduces crew casualties due to fighter losses by 75%, and reduces the rate at which fighter replacement rate decreases due to fighter losses by 10%."

(Not sure if that description is over the top or anything, but you get the idea.)

That is one Moloch-damned good Hullmod description if I do say so myself AcaMentis! 

It's fitting you brought up the fact crew is awfully expendable in Starsector since that's something I would gladly see changed with the (re)introduction of crew experience, with a similar mechanic to how Marines currently work.

The Starship Legends mod does it very well as every ship has a crew rating (which is based off the ship score) which ranges from Fiercely Loyal to Openly Insubordinate and that it either buffs peak performance time and reduces Combat Readiness decay after PPT of nerfs it, depending on the "Loyalty" of every ship's crew.

This discussion is for another place tough, possibly a suggestion thread with horrible grammar and syntax by me, as usual  ;)

Back to the mod, I'm really looking forward to stapling it on my ongoing campaign and trying it out on my two 45DP Battlecarriers, they already pretty much have every single buff to fighter performance and replacement time known in the sector, I'll most likely be able to provide with a decent amount of (biased) feedback about it!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »

I've always wondered why recovery Shuttles did not do this before. You are in fact recovering fighter pilots stranded into a battlefield afterall; this mod implies the recovery shuttles will be recovering pilots as the battle goes on, therefore allowing the ones still able to man a fighter/bomber to go back out again.

My thoughts exactly. And gameplay-wise, lack of crew is such a rare problem, that it makes little sense to spend so much OP on something that just reduces crew losses.

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »

I've always And of course drone LPCs don't use crew at all, so Recovery Shuttles reducing their replacement rate decrease doesn't wash.

To be honest I didn't even think about drone LPCs until now. I'm not sure if it's worth bringing player's attention to it, since it RS will probably be mainly used with manned fighters.

But maybe something more vague, like
"Automated shuttles that allow to recover survivors and intact components of disabled (drone?) fighters during the battle.
Reduces the casualties suffered by fighter pilots by %s.
Reduces the rate at which the replacement rate decreases due to fighter losses by %s."

If that makes sense.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »

To be honest I didn't even think about drone LPCs until now. I'm not sure if it's worth bringing player's attention to it, since it RS will probably be mainly used with manned fighters.

But maybe something more vague, like
"Automated shuttles that allow to recover survivors and intact components of disabled (drone?) fighters during the battle.
Reduces the casualties suffered by fighter pilots by %s.
Reduces the rate at which the replacement rate decreases due to fighter losses by %s."

If that makes sense.
Can work, although I'm not sure whether people really wouldn't be using this version of RS with drone based carriers. Probably not, it's a lot of OP for only a minor bonus, but on the other hand there's very little that carriers really need other than being better carriers. And there's precious few other ways to increase that stat without double-dipping into the Leadership tree.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »

I would prefer for Recovery Shuttles to be a fleet wide buff to reduce pilot and crew casualties - something aka rescuing ships.
As is its pretty useless because crew is cheap or you use drones anyway.
With fleet wide bonus you could mount it on some support ships to reduce crew losses and it would be useful both for carrier and low tech fleets.

dEVoRaTriX_LuX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 12:11:46 AM »

I've activated the mod but the effect doesn't seem to apply I have the same problem with your shield shunt buff mod.

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 06:44:00 AM »

I've activated the mod but the effect doesn't seem to apply I have the same problem with your shield shunt buff mod.
Sorry for the slow reply :-[. If it's still relevant, does the Shield Shunt icon or Recovery Shuttles description on refit screen changes? And just to make sure, what game version are you on, and is the mod enabled in launch menu?

dEVoRaTriX_LuX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »

Sorry for the slow reply :-[. If it's still relevant, does the Shield Shunt icon or Recovery Shuttles description on refit screen changes? And just to make sure, what game version are you on, and is the mod enabled in launch menu?

I actually found out the reason for the problem the mod Plight of the Valkyrie has a vanilla hull_mod csv file in it that overrides my own and your mods buffs. Appreciate the response though.

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Updated for 0.96,
also added 2 other hullmods tweaks, for rugged construction and solar shielding.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 01:48:38 PM by Island »

FortunaDraken

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Reducing the damage on Solar Shielding to 90% feels kinda odd. It's negating most of the s-mod bonus that gets it to 100% negation, because 90% is already pretty good. Removing the logistics though is really nice, it's always bothered me that it's considered a logistics mod.

Really like the rugged construction and recovery shuttles changes though.

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Reducing the damage on Solar Shielding to 90% feels kinda odd. It's negating most of the s-mod bonus that gets it to 100% negation, because 90% is already pretty good.

I was thinking if you have a base on a very unfortunate orbit like Sindaria, or travel through hyperspace storms all the time to "fast travel" with a slow fleet, it would be nice to have an option to slap solar shielding on all of your ships, including salvage rigs and tankers. Spending story points on every ship in the fleet seems a bit too expensive.
But if you have enough SP to spend, 100% protection is still an upgrade you will feel, not to mention OP smods save anyway.

Also thanks for reminding, I completely forgot about the Smod stuff. Uploaded new versions, now with proper smods bonus description.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:29:23 AM by Island »

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile

Reducing the damage on Solar Shielding to 90% feels kinda odd. It's negating most of the s-mod bonus that gets it to 100% negation, because 90% is already pretty good.

I was thinking if you have a base on a very unfortunate orbit like Sindaria, or travel through hyperspace storms all the time to "fast travel" with a slow fleet, it would be a nice to have an option to slap solar shielding on all of your ships, including salvage rigs and tankers. Spending story points on every ship in the fleet seems a bit too expensive.
But if you have enough SP to spend, 100% protection is still an upgrade you will feel, not to mention OP smods save anyway.

Also thanks for reminding, I completely forgot about the Smod stuff. Uploaded new versions, now with proper smods bonus description.

Very cool update, I've been using this mod since like 2 updates ago? But yeah, agree w/Draken here, 90% protection pretty much makes the SMod obselete imo. If I might suggest, maybe tune it down (80%?) and raise the energy damage reduction to -15% for the Smod to balance it?
Pages: [1] 2