Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Planing a mod, looking for some advice. Need some extra brains for brainstorming  (Read 2671 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think too much background can become annoying when trying to figure out what something does, e.g. the Diable Wanzers tend to describe a lot about their production line and decision making but not enough about the fighter's combat actions.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile

This time I've got a ship system concept:

spherical super dense graviton wave projector

Sends out a concentric wave of tightly packed graviton particles and gives the effects of temporal shell for 2 seconds to every vessel it touches. One charge, at least 30 seconds to reload, probably longer. 800 or 900su range

I am planning to mount this on the one capital ship I got.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:26:43 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile

After exploring some ideas by myself I'd love to read some more suggestions from you.

Without presenting my own thoughts right away, let's shift our focus to weapons. In the context of OMM I think of tools that might be used as weapons and civilian grade weapons but concepts for military grade ones are welcome as well.

Thanks for lending me your extra brain power so far :)

Edit: hm, this doesn't seem to work. Well, no biggy. Maybe there is someone willing to have some ideas bounced off of in PMs? (Maybe I'm lucky and it's even a coder  ;D)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:03:30 AM by Tecrys »

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Here's another bit of fluff:

In the onyx shimmer of space glinting with uncountable numbers of miniscule lights from stars aeons away lies the corpse of a titan. Buzzing swarms of flies surround it slowly eating away the giant's flesh, hollowing out it's bones, sucking away the blood still left in it's vanes. The corpse eater's home hovers right next to the decaying husk of the once powerful giant, each tiny piece of it's body busily taken to the hive.

This is Anthozoa Station, HQ of the Freitag corporation built in orbit of the broken wreckage once capable of connecting the Persean Sector to any other part of the Domain's vast realm, now source and center of the corporation's influence and economic power. It is mostly populated by engineers, scientists and contract negotiators each of which busy furthering the interests of the corporation.
Here the specialized ship hulls and tools are designed and built with the knowledge and materials the rotting cadaver next to the station provides and then rented or sold to the highest bidders.

In long forgotten times, when humanity was still very young, there existed a word for men and women ruthless enough to tear apart corpses for further use: Necromancer.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 01:54:47 AM by Tecrys »

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile

Liquid armor which auto balances armor grids

There are already 2-3 mods with armor and/or hull repair, so you might want to look it up.
Unfortunately, only some mods make those scripts easily accessible, many have them compiled in a .jar.
The one mod I know whose scripts are not in a .jar is Steelclads.
There was another one but I can't recall it's name atm.

DEplyoable mini-starbase

YES, PLEASE!

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Liquid armor which auto balances armor grids

There are already 2-3 mods with armor and/or hull repair, so you might want to look it up.
Unfortunately, only some mods make those scripts easily accessible, many have them compiled in a .jar.
The one mod I know whose scripts are not in a .jar is Steelclads.
There was another one but I can't recall it's name atm.

DEplyoable mini-starbase

YES, PLEASE!
I think you completely missed my point.
Auto balancing is by no means restoring lost armor and/or hull, but moving intact armor from other parts of the ship to the damaged part.

And by the way, it’s usually considered OP to be able to repair armor or hull if it doesn’t come with some serious malus and/or restrictions, as there is no hull in vanilla doing that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:40:01 AM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile

I think you completely missed my point.
Auto balancing is by no means restoring lost armor and/or hull, but moving intact armor from other parts of the ship to the damaged part.

I didn't. The code used would be similar. I said "Look into", not "copy".
The only difference would be that the armor max value will be degrading over time/repairs. And that you would be iterating over ALL armor, not just damaged parts.

And by the way, it’s usually considered OP to be able to repair armor or hull if it doesn’t come with some serious malus and/or restrictions, as there is no hull in vanilla doing that.

One mod puts a hefty flux penalty on a ship and weakens armor IIRC? And the reapair speed isn't that great either. Definitely didn't seem overpowered.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm so glad I got some more replies! Thank you for your interest ^^

My only question is:
Why not the modding section?
Well ... good question! I believe my idea was to get a bit more exposure so I felt general chat was the right category.
Dear Moderators, feel free to move this topic.

Yes, any kind of combat repair is hard to balance, I agree. Perhaps I will find alternatives (one of my considerations was a pickup that gave an allied ship damper field for like 5 seconds or so, enemies can't pick it up)

Well, I believe I should release the first sprites I made before I went to therapy. Here's the fleet so far:

Edit: Fixed the image, sprites are first pass and still need a lot of fixing
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:26:25 AM by Tecrys »

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Here we go with a few concepts I did in pencil, I really tried to mimic the original style:

Spoiler

[close]

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile

sorry I don't have the time right now to read the thread, but here's some ideas:

-a forge ship which can setup in an asteroid/planet with minerals and reduce supply cost by 80% for as long as you wanna camp there

-a ship that repairs armor of ships in combat, but both ships become completely stationary, shields are off and flux dissipation is reduced by 80%. this way you can't have a big ship tank like in an mmo

-a ship that replenishes fighters for carriers. or maybe the ability for all carriers to do this, with a mod

-a shield heal beam would be OP in the hands of a player, but I have no idea how the AI would handle this

-a target link mod, like in EVE ONLINE, that improves the turret turn rate + range of an allied ship. it should have a cooldown.

-an engineer type ship that spawns turrets, beam, hybrid and missile ones. they'd have to be permanent, but limited charges.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

A mobile cloning vat that produces crew by consuming organics or something like that, in case you need more crew when you're far from civilization.
Pages: 1 [2]