Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why even beams  (Read 3718 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Why even beams
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »

Small energy weapons are already quite constrained in their choices. There's no need to limit them further.

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »

Beams are also 100% accurate and usually long range, on turrets they are great for taking out fighters. They are easily longest range weapons in game with the right hull mods so are great at keeping enemy at a distance, or long range flanking.

Not just fighters; they're a decent way to catch/pressure phase ships. Phase ships are very capable in the right hands but they also tend to be extremely fragile from what I've seen, so a couple of good beam hits will either knock them out entirely or at least damage them to the point they retreat, without giving them an opportunity to simply phase away from the incoming attack.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 12:05:10 PM »

I wish my AI wouldn't have the habit of trying their hardest to not focus fire the beams from time to time.

Some times they just, do nothing to five targets when they could kill one after the other.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »

I wish my AI wouldn't have the habit of trying their hardest to not focus fire the beams from time to time.

Some times they just, do nothing to five targets when they could kill one after the other.

im, like, 100% certain that they can only do that when their beams cant point at the same target. The AI can only control 1 weapon group at a time, same as a player, and the rest are on autofire and would fire at the ship the AI is targeting if they could
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 [2]