Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Starpocalypse 2.3.2 - more apocalyptic settings  (Read 149755 times)

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Starpocalypse 2.3.0 - more apocalyptic settings
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2022, 02:32:15 AM »

New pain, erm... functionality has been released. Another slew of cursed ideas - on by default, can disable in settings.

- Remove blueprint packages from drop table - need to collect blueprints one by one.
- Make all recoveries require a story point (your own lost ships included). Also remove ships from debris field salvage.
- Change default number of s-mods available to the player to 0. Require a skill to be able to add one s-mod.

Kasimir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2022, 02:17:18 PM »

- Remove blueprint packages from drop table - need to collect blueprints one by one.
- Make all recoveries require a story point (your own lost ships included). Also remove ships from debris field salvage.
- Change default number of s-mods available to the player to 0. Require a skill to be able to add one s-mod.

Going to stick with 2.2.3 - this is overkill.

Axetongler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »

Um, blueprint package is not much of a problem and s-mods might be same too but practically disabling recovery removes bunch of skill effects and quirk of certain ships (mostly rugged construction one).
Feels little too much for me, but then I can just disable the feature so...

Fantastic Chimni

• Commander
  • Chimni
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2022, 06:24:16 PM »

Same.. New update is WAYYY too far into the "Not fun to play" territory.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2022, 02:25:42 AM »

Rugged construction / reinforced bulkheads / skills make it so that the ship is (almost) always recoverable. It most likely will be in a non-story point pool, but it COULD end it (in vanilla) in a story point pool too. I just "fix" it, so it's always in a story-point pool.

You can always disable it. The proper fix to "stumbled across a bunch of destroyers / a great cruiser / a capital in a first X-months and became too powerful too quickly" scenario would be to gate recoveries behind date milestones - something I will do one day.

To put it in a context, version 2.6.0 one day will do (more or less, an idea right now) an "adaptative recoveries":
All ships found during exploration require a story point to recover. Always.
No changes to story point requirements of own recovered ships. Always.

Year 306 - cruisers and capitals are not recoverable post-combat (still can be salvaged from derelicts during exploration). Enemy destroyers always require a story point, frigates depends on vanilla RNG.

Year 307 - capitals are not recoverable post-combat (still can be salvaged from derelicts during exploration). Enemy cruisers always require a story point, destroyers and frigates depend on vanilla RNG.

Year 308 and beyond - all ships are recoverable post-combat. Enemy capitals always require a story point, cruisers and below depend on vanilla RNG.

The option to enable "stingy recoveries" will be there too (adaptative will become the new default, stingy when enabled will replace adaptative).

Kasimir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2022, 08:39:09 AM »

Rugged construction / reinforced bulkheads / skills make it so that the ship is (almost) always recoverable. It most likely will be in a non-story point pool, but it COULD end it (in vanilla) in a story point pool too. I just "fix" it, so it's always in a story-point pool.

You can always disable it. The proper fix to "stumbled across a bunch of destroyers / a great cruiser / a capital in a first X-months and became too powerful too quickly" scenario would be to gate recoveries behind date milestones - something I will do one day.

The proper solution to the "capital in fist X-months" problem is to re-design the supply, support and repair system to be more realistic.

When a Faction owns a Ship, they own the Blueprint and can print new parts / ships using a Forge (or Nanoforge) which means they have a direct supply line for parts. When a Non-Faction owns a Ship, where are they getting the parts? On a market with high shortages and volatile prices on bottleneck components.

- Repairing a capital-ship above a certain % requires sacrificing another ship of the same type (or having a market shipyard with a blueprint)
- Repairing a capital-ship above a certain % requires parking it in a Faction Shipyard
- Maintenance costs on owning a capital ship without a market+blueprint are much higher.
- Faction Mercenaries get partially covered for Faction's standard fleet capital ships

Make the supply costs of repairs in space much much higher, and damage above 75% hull resulting in D-mods.
Make the costs of high-tech ships even higher with the same system.

These are the things that can bring some realism and push people to spend more time with more common ships.
This will promote keeping capital ship ownership to a time where you have a colony with blueprints and supply lines.

Axetongler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »

To put it in a context, version 2.6.0 one day will do (more or less, an idea right now) an "adaptative recoveries":
All ships found during exploration require a story point to recover. Always.
No changes to story point requirements of own recovered ships. Always.

Year 306 - cruisers and capitals are not recoverable post-combat (still can be salvaged from derelicts during exploration). Enemy destroyers always require a story point, frigates depends on vanilla RNG.

Year 307 - capitals are not recoverable post-combat (still can be salvaged from derelicts during exploration). Enemy cruisers always require a story point, destroyers and frigates depend on vanilla RNG.

Year 308 and beyond - all ships are recoverable post-combat. Enemy capitals always require a story point, cruisers and below depend on vanilla RNG.

The option to enable "stingy recoveries" will be there too (adaptative will become the new default, stingy when enabled will replace adaptative).
Either way I don't see much of practical difference as those ships are basically meant to be expendable/cheap and it disables that, guess I'm gonna just disable this feature till adaptative came...

Letsparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »

Setting maximum s-mods is broken in settings.
For example restoring vanilla behavior.

# Number of s-mods available to player (without skill).
    "maximumPermaMods": 2, # easy mode: 1, vanilla: 2

code checks for maxPermaMods
change maximumPermaMods to maxPermaMods to get it working

"maxPermaMods": 2, # easy mode: 1, vanilla: 2
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone.
WARNING objects in sniper scope may appear closer then they actually are.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2022, 12:57:36 PM »

The proper solution to the "capital in fist X-months" problem is to re-design the supply, support and repair system to be more realistic.

When a Faction owns a Ship, they own the Blueprint and can print new parts / ships using a Forge (or Nanoforge) which means they have a direct supply line for parts. When a Non-Faction owns a Ship, where are they getting the parts? On a market with high shortages and volatile prices on bottleneck components.

- Repairing a capital-ship above a certain % requires sacrificing another ship of the same type (or having a market shipyard with a blueprint)
- Repairing a capital-ship above a certain % requires parking it in a Faction Shipyard
- Maintenance costs on owning a capital ship without a market+blueprint are much higher.
- Faction Mercenaries get partially covered for Faction's standard fleet capital ships

Make the supply costs of repairs in space much much higher, and damage above 75% hull resulting in D-mods.
Make the costs of high-tech ships even higher with the same system.

These are the things that can bring some realism and push people to spend more time with more common ships.
This will promote keeping capital ship ownership to a time where you have a colony with blueprints and supply lines.

So, you mean maintenance/repair costs for ships you don't have the blueprints for is increased?  ???

Interesting... it'd certainly encourage people to explore for more blueprints or when joining a faction to use that factions ships (just have it so if you're commissioned by a faction, or in an alliance with them if using Nexerelin, that you can use their blueprints as well as your own for maintenance but not construction). If the supply penalty is severe enough then commissioning might be the only practical way to have capital ships before getting a colony of your own.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:04:17 PM by Oni »

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2022, 05:30:42 AM »

Setting maximum s-mods is broken in settings.
For example restoring vanilla behavior.

"maximumPermaMods": 2, # easy mode: 1, vanilla: 2

code checks for maxPermaMods
change maximumPermaMods to maxPermaMods to get it working

"maxPermaMods": 2, # easy mode: 1, vanilla: 2

Thanks, fixed and reissued as 2.3.1. People may just edit this in the text file as well instead of redownloading.

AppleMarineXX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Starpocalypse 2.3.1 - more apocalyptic settings
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2022, 02:03:49 PM »

I remember one of the earliest Starpocalypse builds entirely removed military ships and weapons from all markets, regardless of black markets, colony stability, etc - the only way to get them would be through friendly military markets.

Is it possible to bring that back as an optional setting? I enjoyed romping around the sector using only the pittances I could pick up from space debris.

Call it 'super-stingy markets' or something.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Starpocalypse 2.2.3 - more apocalyptic settings
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2022, 09:57:46 PM »

Progress update. A new (and probably last one this year, excluding bugfixes) version of Starpocalypse will be out this or next week. I need to take a break from Starpocalypse in order to find a vision for this mod. For those that missed the memo - this started as a joke mod (I wanted to see the Sector full of d-mods and to make weapons scarce) but due to the somewhat warm welcome I became invested in it. Almost a year later, the mod is all over the place. So I need to sit down and rethink what I want this mod to be.
Honestly, I think you are doing a great job on all your mods. You found so many methods to give players to customize their experience. They're awesome!
As for Starpocalypse, I think the mod's increased scarcity is definitely necessary in the modiverse. It reminds me of post-apocalyptic fantasy, where all materials and resources are prized. With this mod, committing to a single faction becomes more important and I feel the vanilla game makes light of allowing non-commissioned rouges to purchase real weapons of war. They would not simply allow you to be scanned & have your contraband confiscated... they would execute you as a traitor.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2022, 12:12:28 AM »

I really really like this mod, especially the .json customization.  It's pretty much required now in my mod list. 

Starpocalypse with D-mods galore and limited markets lets me create a much more "ragged frontier (aka Firefly)" experience as a baseline, and is a great companion mod with Ruthless Sector which I value for the extra danger and far less free money, tweakable via yet another useful .json.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2022, 11:27:27 AM »

I really really like this mod, especially the .json customization.  It's pretty much required now in my mod list. 

Starpocalypse with D-mods galore and limited markets lets me create a much more "ragged frontier (aka Firefly)" experience as a baseline, and is a great companion mod with Ruthless Sector which I value for the extra danger and far less free money, tweakable via yet another useful .json.

I'm thinking about playing with both but I'm worried about making it to difficult to play, do you have any specific tweak recommendations for either of them? Cheers.

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2022, 05:13:26 AM »

So this is what disabled the ability to add S-mods (that was a bit extreme). Well, easy to fix in starpocalypse.json with Notepad++
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15