Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your second in command seems absurdly good  (Read 2647 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Your second in command seems absurdly good
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »

It feels like the second in command gets results you could never get in an actual engagement, send a tempest and a scarab after a whole fleet and only a few token ships will make it out alive. Send an Astral after an escaping force of destroyers and frigates, again most of them dead when playing it out would just see the Astral slowly limping after them, doing nothing. Now I understand that losing ships would be frustrating so sending an underpowered force in pursuit shouldn't lose you those ships but it does feel odd that the second in command is so effective at wiping out what would otherwise be pretty evasive ships or enough firepower to simply destroy your pursuit force. Guess it's necessary to let the player clean up pirate raiders without endless ineffective pursuits?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Your second in command seems absurdly good
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:14:21 PM »

Its because the 2nd in command pursuit is not simulated but interpolated instead. It provides a near-instant result but can only see stats out of context.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:27:37 PM »

In all fairness, a couple of officered tempests and scarabs are probably enough to wipe decent sized pirate fleets though.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »

Well, SOMEONE has to be competent around here!

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 09:12:53 AM »

I feel personally attacked...

On the other hand, I've never used auto-resolve, I guess I'm too used to other games where you always get screwed by it lol. Good to know it's good here.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »

Even if auto-resolve was unreliable, it is safe, quick, free stuff.  Take what it gives you and run.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 02:36:37 AM »

Its because the 2nd in command pursuit is not simulated but interpolated instead. It provides a near-instant result but can only see stats out of context.
Yeah but it seems to overrate your ships a lot.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 09:11:04 AM »

To be fair, the enemy is focused on retreating, rather than fighting. If you are in pursuit, your enemy has broken morale, and isn't really thinking of retaliation.....at least that's my rationale.....

Badger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 11:59:28 AM »

;D

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »

To be fair, the enemy is focused on retreating, rather than fighting. If you are in pursuit, your enemy has broken morale, and isn't really thinking of retaliation.....at least that's my rationale.....
But if there's only an absurdly small force chasing after your battleships wouldn't they just swat that annoyance and keep going?

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 08:15:13 PM »

But if there's only an absurdly small force chasing after your battleships wouldn't they just swat that annoyance and keep going?

Well, yes, but you still have a fully battle capable fleet in pursuit, the one that just smashed theirs.....maybe if you couldn't pursue with ships that have less than 50% cr it would be better?

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 02:14:49 AM »

No, don't complain about auto resolve. This auto resolve isn't garbage like in other games where they make it so punishing to use that you are forced to fight silly 1 sided fights.

cough.. cough... bannerlords...

Also ships escape auto resolve allows enemies to escape that couldn't have possibly fled. LOL Atlas II escaped. So it's a double edged sword.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »

cough.. cough... bannerlords...

The previous M&B was the same, you sent an entire army against 3 looters (shittiest unit in the game), and they somehow killed 2 of your nordic huscarls (hardest unit in the game to raise).

If you were there in the field they wouldn't even have touched your units, but when you are gone somehow they try to kill enemies by slapping them with their peckers.
I prefer competent autoresolves too.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 02:15:17 PM »

I don't think you should be able to lose ships to second-in-command battles but maybe you shouldn't get any kills if you send insufficient forces for the pursuit. Taking down a Falcon, Eagle and a bunch of frigates with just 14 DP worth of frigates feels wrong.
Pages: [1] 2