Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I want to play this game so bad but I am lousy at combat.  (Read 695 times)

Captarcher33

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I want to play this game so bad but I am lousy at combat.
« on: May 23, 2021, 02:00:11 AM »

I can't figure out how to survive in this game.   Pirates are everywhere. I explore my starting system and head to where the next mission is and get wiped out.  I can't play this game more than an hour before I am destroyed by a massive fleet.  Is this one of those games for elite basement dwellers that are looking for some kind of masochistic challenge in a game?  Can a casual sci fi/rts lover have fun with this game? 

funky.schnitzel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: I want to play this game so bad but I am lousy at combat.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:01:48 AM »

You should be able to run away from fleets that are much bigger than yours (even if you bump into them you can attempt to disengage at the menu before entering combat). Quick save often, avoid combat, scavenge and trade for money and ships.

Badger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 03:39:07 AM »

The tutorial missions are probably the hardest part of the game  ;D.

Just make sure you have the maximum speed on the strategic map (burn speed 20 with sustained burn). There are a couple of skills that help with this - navigation (generally an auto-pick first thing) and bulk transport optionally. At the start you are very weak, you don't have a fleet and you are unfamiliar with combat. Ships are everywhere and you should be building your fleet but some bigger ships and haulers can slow you down too much and are not worth it at the start. You're only as fast as the slowest ship.

You will be able to avoid everything with that if you don't unluckily run right into it. If you do you can use the story point disengage option. You need to use this instead of attempting to disengage normally. If you try a disengage and fail you can't then use story point disengage. Don't worry about using up your storypoints with this, if you are only using this in an emergency not using them for other things a lot you won't run out, and you don't lose them - there is a 100% refund, it just takes a while.

With a small fleet you will soon outmatch small pirate fleets. You can beat up on them and get used to the combat and used the sim also. After a while of playing you will get a feel for what you can and can't beat. Sign up for a commission with one of the factions and you get lots of cash, then you can do whatever.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 03:53:48 AM »

Can a casual sci fi/rts lover have fun with this game?

Absolutely.
I'm not much of a pilot myself and I'm doing alright usually. It'll get easier once you know when to run and when to fight, what ships to keep and how to equip them for yourself and for the AI. Some of the endgame content I need to cheese my way through but for 98% of the game there's a million ways to be successful and have fun.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:36:29 AM »

Massive fleets are also slow fleets, transponder off in hyperspace and e-burning when necessary will let you avoid a lot of trouble.

You can also set your own flagship to autopilot with U.

Once you get a good grip on logistics, combat is actually pretty easy.

Captarcher33

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 07:37:46 AM »

Thanks for the tips, this game scratches an itch ive had for a long time.