Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: [0.95a] Magellan Protectorate v1.25a - New goodies, tweaks and fixes.  (Read 65763 times)

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Magellan Protectorate v1.08a - update and fixes
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2021, 06:33:44 AM »

Does anyone have some pointers for these ships? I'm getting my rear handed to me :P

AdmiralRem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2021, 07:35:39 PM »

It took me a while because I too was thinking they were underpowered. But they aren’t. I haven’t played in weeks but 1-2 Capitals with a and full of the cruiser size carriers and at least 4 pointy face guys for capping things harassment. I’ve wiped entire fleets with just that which should sit you around 200-240 point.

Phase lances are amazing on the caps. And all that armor let’s you take a beating if you know what you’re doing. They really are great stick with it.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »

Someone on Discord described them as 'low-tech ships with high-tech movement systems', and I'd say that's exactly the intended balance, because for me the happy zone of Starsector design is midline; ships capable of playing brick against high-tech, and playing zoom-and-boom against low-tech.

There are also a number of ships that tilt further in either direction, of course, and ship skins that change the calculus yet again, and not always in the expected direction.

Probably the single biggest thing that seems to trip experienced players up in 0.95a is not being able to build in Hardened Shields, which is hopefully kinda counterbalanced by the greater durability of their weapons and engines. Armor tanking is less painful on Magellan ships than it is on vanilla low-tech thanks to that, and they benefit more from hullmods like Solar Shielding or Resistant Flux Conduits as well.
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

Algoul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:44 AM »

Dear Harmful, your mod is one of core in my mod set, its solid and estetically pleasing, this is GOOD work.
Can i ask you, 1) do you have plans to make Levelers a sort of pirate faction with bases, they own line of Magelan's cruisers and line ships? 2) Magelan subfactions, Blackcolars and red ships (forget name), they have some how active represention in your mod or its just remnants of old?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2021, 01:41:07 PM »

Dear Harmful, your mod is one of core in my mod set, its solid and estetically pleasing, this is GOOD work.
Thanks. It benefits a lot from having made all my newbie mistakes in advance. I'm working on a minor update as well.

1) do you have plans to make Levelers a sort of pirate faction with bases, they own line of Magelan's cruisers and line ships?
Yes/sort of. The plan is... okay, I've been holding my cards close to my vest, because there's no guarantee I'll get to do this exactly, but here's what I had in mind:

- Levellers start out as technophilic Pathers. They have radically tweaked Magellan ships, but not large or especially powerful ones, and they're easy to deal with.
- In the course of my planned mission content, they're going to get more stuff, and more advanced stuff, including a mobile station/mothership that'll spawn semi-randomly.
- They're not really going to have a full faction's worth of ships, but they might get one more skin on top of what's already there + their advanced unique ships.
- All this stuff, including the mobile station/mothership, will be given to the player for their use, sooner or later, in blueprint form.

They have about four more hulls coming for sure, but one of them is a module ship of substantial size and should probably count as 2-3 ships in terms of total workload. Anything beyond that is nice-to-have, bonus content.

2) Magelan subfactions, Blackcolars and red ships (forget name), they have some how active represention in your mod or its just remnants of old?
All the subfaction skins are included because they're planned to have some kind of active role in the missions I want to write for the faction. They're also just fun alt-takes on their base hulls.

Anything in the mod right now is intended to have an active presence in the world, at some point.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:49:16 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2021, 12:06:01 AM »

It's nice to know you have full intention of bringing this mod further. I'm loving it so far, and, while I sometimes feel frustrated with these ships, I am going to keep trying weapon loadouts until I find something that works for me. I loved Dassault, and I love this mod, both some of my favorites so I'm sticking with (and formed an alliance with Magellan) them for this play through. They're different, and that's a good thing, it's just adjusting play style to fit them and wrap my head around using armor instead of relying solely on shields. I think that's my problem, the shields aren't the greatest and relying on them has me overloaded more often than not (maybe my weapon choices also compound the issue lol).

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2021, 02:43:41 AM »

I have a suggestion for the BCR variant of the Chenel. There is space at the rear, ahead of the engines, the gap that looks... quite smitten for a single hangar bay. Suggestion being, remove that medium mount and replace it with a hangar just to make the BCR a little special compared to the others, a light cruiser with a light carrier duty for quieter fringe operations. If not the BCR, because of it's smaller signature, then perhaps the Skytiger? I just think there could be one of the light cruisers that has a tucked in hangar bay to differentiate it a bit more and to offer more of a support role, as I feel the Chenel and Kreshov try to fill the same role, doing different things.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »

Very much not going to do that, no. I think it's bad design for the ship, and it conflicts with the faction's overall design. There's already a cruiser with that same niche; the Mallory.

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »

Very much not going to do that, no. I think it's bad design for the ship, and it conflicts with the faction's overall design. There's already a cruiser with that same niche; the Mallory.

Totally fair. On another note, I feel the Porey's scale is a bit low compared to the lighter cruisers but that's not a big issue. Haven't played with or seen a Mazian in action yet. I've started using Heavy Armor on my Magellan ships and it's helped a lot with them getting steam rolled.

bentusi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2021, 05:48:03 AM »

Edgar, Porey, Sung, Keu, Mazian... No Mallory? ;)

I'm new to this game and this is the first content mod I'll be downloading. VERY nice looking ships.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »

Edgar, Porey, Sung, Keu, Mazian... No Mallory? ;)

You just missed me talking about the Mallory two posts up.

Melanoc3tus II

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »

So, can I just say, I love the PD. I love the turret arcs which enable the PD. I love watching it efficiently annihilate everything with perfect accuracy. Everything about it, essentially. It's certainly because standard Starsector PD is manually aimed by a narcoleptic alcoholic (without powered steering), but it's great nonetheless.

On a more general note, the art style-and-general-quality is markedly improved, not that it wasn't nice before. It's not only in that I personally kinda disliked the tone of white that your previous creation utilised, but there are more objective improvements, such as the increased depth and contouring, and most importantly, that the ships have a small, subtle complement of distinctive decorative greeblings, and not like, 2000 of them. They feel crisp without feeling out of place in the Sector.

All in all, very fun, and a sure addition of mine to all future Starsectors in which it's supported.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:40 PM »

Thanks. Making good sidegrades to vanilla weapons is my jam, and improving their soft qualities is big part of that.

You'll be pleased to know that the DME art rework is planned to basically resurface everything to look more like Magellan ships do now, but with their own set of aesthetic flourishes.

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2021, 03:08:04 AM »

Thanks. Making good sidegrades to vanilla weapons is my jam, and improving their soft qualities is big part of that.

You'll be pleased to know that the DME art rework is planned to basically resurface everything to look more like Magellan ships do now, but with their own set of aesthetic flourishes.

Oooo, I'm excited now to see the new DME. DME was the first faction mod I ever installed. I never could quite get them to handle Hegemony fleets (likely because I was just bad at the game back then), they just don't have the staying power like Magellan does (ho boy I'm loving them now.) DME + Magellan seem like a match made in heaven, but then, why do I feel like they hate each other now?

I almost feel like Levellers and Blade Breakers should be friends... Or rivals, but they seem to follow sort of the same cues from what I've seen. I'd love some story elements fleshing both out somewhat, establishing them as an opponent Magellan (and DME respectively) have to deal with. Though, I've heard story anything is a lot harder than making ships and weapons function.

Helldiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2021, 09:47:57 AM »

Will they keep the white theme and fairly rounded feel? Always loved how distinct and "spacecraft-like" it made them.
Nex is life, and my helm is pointier than yours!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11