Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I hope for a better one?  (Read 1989 times)

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Should I hope for a better one?
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »

Hey everyone, I just found this planet and I'm wondering if it can get better than this?
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/479467491035316231/844955711313281045/unknown.png?width=842&height=473

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Should I hope for a better one?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »

Maybe?

Last patch that would've been an excellent place to set up home. This patch it's less so; that planet can't use - or can't safely use - the items to boost mining, farming, heavy industry, or fuel production. Which doesn't mean it's bad, exactly, but how useful it is as a place to colonize depends on what else is in the system.

For me, my priorities for colonization are:
1: Required: The star system must have a gate. This is just too convenient to ignore.
2: Required: A relatively-low-hazard airless world (ideally 150%, but I'd take up to 200%, especially if any of that is from cold or low light conditions); this will get heavy industry, refining, fuel production, and - if it's got both mineral types - mining.
3: Optional: A habitable world with food production & organics. This gets farming (or aquaculture as appropriate), light industry, and mining.
4: Optional: A gas giant. (These are the only option for the item that boosts volatiles production from mining.)

Since it's possible, now, to add a stable point to a system that doesn't have any (or even to a system that just has one, though that's more expensive), you'll always be able to build at least a makeshift comm relay, so that's no longer a factor in choice of where to colonize.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »

Haha, you know, I just explored the nearby systems and found out there are two coronal taps in range of this colony, and the Barren-bombarded world in this system has extremely hot and no atmoshpere so it'll do for the military base as well. I assume the gate is for when you'll be able to travel between them after you finish a questline, yes? Well, this system doesn't have it but the one with the left does. The problem is with the gas giant, since there isn't one with +2 nearby. I also have the Terraforming and Station Construction mod since I really, really liked it from the 0.9.1 version, so I'm thinking of transforming this world into a paradise world which adds mild climate to it, making it 50% hazard rating (Not really necessary, I just like the idea of having a literal utopia as a capital for my faction  ;)). There are a few more habitable worlds near but they all have transplutonics so I guess I'll just have to do without any Soil Nanites, but I don't think it's necessary for anything out there to have 10+ food production. Thank you for the tips!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:14:09 AM by ThatOneWeirdo »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »

Yep, soil nanites and a gas giant are both optional. Really the only 'mandatory' colony item is a nanoforge, and technically you can put that on a habitable planet...

...I just prefer to put it on an airless world so it can go next to an item-buffed refining and make the heavy industry be immune to trade disruptions. (Because you will get trade disruptions even if you keep your systems clean of pirates and make friends with everyone. Trade fleets can die to pirates elsewhere, or they can even get in fights with each other...)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »

For me, my priorities for colonization are:
1: Required: The star system must have a gate. This is just too convenient to ignore.
2: Required: A relatively-low-hazard airless world (ideally 150%, but I'd take up to 200%, especially if any of that is from cold or low light conditions); this will get heavy industry, refining, fuel production, and - if it's got both mineral types - mining.
3: Optional: A habitable world with food production & organics. This gets farming (or aquaculture as appropriate), light industry, and mining.
4: Optional: A gas giant. (These are the only option for the item that boosts volatiles production from mining.)
I would like a gate, but that is not always possible.  In my last game, the only good system with a gate, only had two planets and no other good systems nearby for colonies (those systems had 200+% hazard).  Also not very near to core.  I ended up taking a decent set (though not ideal) that was close to core and to a hypershunt.

Player does not need a gas giant unless he wants to use a fusion lamp somewhere.  All he needs is any place with +0 (or more) volatiles, improvement, and IP.  In my game, the world with volatiles was a frozen world with 150 or 175 hazard, where I also dumped Heavy Industry.

My requirements:
World with no more than 200 hazard with no atmosphere, for fuel production with synchrotron.
World with no more than 200 hazard and without habitable, for heavy industry with nanoforge.  (I could take habitable, but I do not like pollution)
World with 100 hazard or less and habitable, for food.
Fourth world has whatever resources my other three planets lack.

Yep, soil nanites and a gas giant are both optional. Really the only 'mandatory' colony item is a nanoforge, and technically you can put that on a habitable planet...

...I just prefer to put it on an airless world so it can go next to an item-buffed refining and make the heavy industry be immune to trade disruptions. (Because you will get trade disruptions even if you keep your systems clean of pirates and make friends with everyone. Trade fleets can die to pirates elsewhere, or they can even get in fights with each other...)
Is that even possible without attracting Pather cells?  Player needs mining, refinery, and heavy industry with forge.  That is +7 to interest, which means Pather cell that can disrupt stuff on the colony.

Heavy Industry needs metal from Refinery, and Refinery needs ores from Mining.

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »

Oh, also, I find that Fuel and Refined metals are the most profitable produce to export, so I used to just go into a vacant system in the middle of the core systems and build fuel production, refining and heavy industry (Mainly just to produce my blueprint ships), max out the accessibility and roll in cash! I managed to bring a 5 size colony up to ~500 000 credits profit, I can't wait to get even more money with this new update  ;D. I just wonder if there is any better way to do it?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »

Its a very good world. Just slap mining, farming, and commerce on it and you have a powerful money maker with a free slot. For more money, put in light industry (with its item if you find it) and free port, for more defense put in a military base. If you run out of spots elsewhere, put a refinery on it, they are good money makers even without items.

Items are nice bonuses, but not actually needed to have profitable worlds: it can also be difficult to find specific items at all (my first game I didn't get a single mining or refinery upgrade) so I wouldn't plan colonies around them until they are in hand, at least in my opinion. This is especially true because the best item is the Dealmaker Holosuite for commerce: everything else just pales in comparison to getting that, so if you have one of those you're good to go.

It takes a long time to grow colonies to size 6 (most of my games hit endgame fleets when my colonies are still size 5), so colonizing early for 'good enough' piles of money is my go to right now and I just don't worry about finding a 'perfect' system.

Oh, also, I find that Fuel and Refined metals are the most profitable produce to export, so I used to just go into a vacant system in the middle of the core systems and build fuel production, refining and heavy industry (Mainly just to produce my blueprint ships), max out the accessibility and roll in cash! I managed to bring a 5 size colony up to ~500 000 credits profit, I can't wait to get even more money with this new update  ;D. I just wonder if there is any better way to do it?

Once you get to size 6, put in commerce! You'll double (or more with a full set of items) the amount of money the colony makes for 1 industry, and give yourself a secondary market to buy/sell to.

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »

Once you get to size 6, put in commerce! You'll double (or more with a full set of items) the amount of money the colony makes for 1 industry, and give yourself a secondary market to buy/sell to.
Oh wow, I didn't know about this! It's actually really useful now, though I feel like unless your colony already makes a lot of money and has no stability issues you wouldn't really use it. Still, since I have a free slot after Mining a gas giant, Fuel Production and Refining (Nothing else comes even close to the money these three make), I'll try it and maybe post a finished result here as well  :).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »

Is that even possible without attracting Pather cells?  Player needs mining, refinery, and heavy industry with forge.  That is +7 to interest, which means Pather cell that can disrupt stuff on the colony.

Heavy Industry needs metal from Refinery, and Refinery needs ores from Mining.
Depends on what mods you're using; there are a limited number of pather cells in the sector, so the more faction mods you run, the less likely they are to bother your systems. (Plus there exists at least one mod with a way to reduce pather interest.)

Un-modded, no, you're going to get pather interest on that planet. But that's fine; pather interest on one planet isn't a serious issue - it's much simpler to go smash their stations when you've got gate access and can just hop over to somewhere nearby, then hop back to whatever you were doing.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 11:44:51 AM »

Well I mean, even with vanilla, mining is going to bring in quite a lot of profit from a world like that.  It'd make a great starter and if you just stick to farming and mining, you won't draw much jealousy from the pathers or heggies for quite some time, leaving you free to go about your business.

Go for it.  You can always branch out to another system if you just need more patrol fleets.

Badger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 01:58:35 AM »

It matters very little what kind of planet you colonize in the long run since you'll be swimming in money regardless and that's the only thing colonies produce.

Chozo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:24:29 PM »

It matters very little what kind of planet you colonize in the long run since you'll be swimming in money regardless and that's the only thing colonies produce.

Don't quite agree with this: the highs are much higher for colonies in .95, but the lows are much lower.  Planets like the OP are a bit more valuable than they were in .91 because you won't have hazard pay eating all your profits out of the gate.

Badger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 11:49:31 PM »

Sure some planets are better than others (especially starting off, which is why I said 'long-run') but it's not worth holding out for something 'perfect' since colonies don't provide anything unique. When you are getting 500k a month and you could be getting 1M it doesn't really make a difference other than the number.

I generally like to look for something near a cryosleeper for this reason because it gives you a boost now but nothing long-term, but long-term doesn't matter. Hypershunt taps for comparison seem worthless because you could only ever use them when you don't need them.

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »

Thank you to everyone who posted their tips and suggestions to help me out! Here's what the planet ended up looking like:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/479467491035316231/846410078302371920/unknown.png?width=842&height=473
And this is the money-making specialized planet I made:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/479467491035316231/846406545810128896/unknown.png?width=842&height=473
Turns out commerce is absolutely broken this patch, as well as the item and story point improvements. (Yes I know that most of these alpha cores don't play any particularly useful role, but I might as well stick them in since I've got so many)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:22:47 PM by ThatOneWeirdo »