Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alien Life png market condition?  (Read 802 times)

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
Alien Life png market condition?
« on: May 19, 2021, 10:57:20 PM »

Does anyone know if this is a placeholder? What is the purpose of this implementation, later on, I would really like to see some more endgame content revolving around aliens is that a possibility?
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Life png market condition?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 06:01:36 AM »

I'm guessing it's just a placeholder. It may get implemented as something influencing hazard rating and food or organics availability. I mostly see it as a counterpart to Inimical Biosphere, as in planets having their own fully fledged flora and fauna.

Spoiler
Alternatively, it may contain free hugs.

[close]

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »

Well, as a matter of strict terminology, we've had "alien life" as part of the game since almost day 1 - Jangala in the Corvus system (the very first, and only for a while, campaign system in the game) has a natural, but aggressive Inimical Biosphere on it that requires burning back every once in a while. Randomly generated planets can also come up with Inimical Biosphere, presumably also natural, alien life.

The icons that scare me (or possibly intrigue me) more are death, and xenoplague.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »

I'm guessing it's just a placeholder. It may get implemented as something influencing hazard rating and food or organics availability. I mostly see it as a counterpart to Inimical Biosphere, as in planets having their own fully fledged flora and fauna.

Spoiler
Alternatively, it may contain free hugs.

[close]

I figured  ;D LOL
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »

Well, as a matter of strict terminology, we've had "alien life" as part of the game since almost day 1 - Jangala in the Corvus system (the very first, and only for a while, campaign system in the game) has a natural, but aggressive Inimical Biosphere on it that requires burning back every once in a while. Randomly generated planets can also come up with Inimical Biosphere, presumably also natural, alien life.

The icons that scare me (or possibly intrigue me) more are death, and xenoplague.

Ya, I saw death too and was like Jesus what kind of market trait is that lmao. We might see it as a market trait pertaining to saturation bombardment that criples a colonys growth rate due to all the bodies still decaying on the planet?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »

All of these have been in the game for some time already. At least since 0.7. I suspect that Alex decided not to use those icons and left them, because there was no need to remove them.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »

(Sometimes its fun to just put things in. Sometimes it's an idea that goes nowhere, sometimes Alex does something with them... sometimes a modder does something with them! Sometimes it just drives player speculation into a frenzy then, while sitting in plush armchairs, we clink our glasses of brandy together and say "oh ho, see as the ants skitter to and fro. Another capital jape achieved!")