Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple sources of resources for colonies ( problem )  (Read 894 times)

MrCordedrex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Multiple sources of resources for colonies ( problem )
« on: March 18, 2022, 05:31:04 AM »

After I have played with Industrial Revolution for quite some time, I ran into a pretty significant problem. It turns out, only one source of production is counted, with resources such as fuel for example.
Is there a way to change it ? It seems extremely stupid to be honest, at least for me.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple sources of resources for colonies ( problem )
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 07:20:43 AM »

this is how colonies have always worked - no amount of 5 supply can ever fulfill 6 demand, so 2 + 4 from 2 different sources won't add up to 6 (afaik, indevo might have some exceptions to this but i'm not sure)

MrCordedrex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »

Do you think there is a way to change that ? So multiple sources of resources I produce can stack up ?

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 08:44:31 AM »

No idea myself... what I wouldn't give to have all colony surpluses added together for these kind of calculations.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:21:23 AM »

The values should be thought of as "much much more" than the previous value, i.e. a rating of 5 is "much much more" than a rating of 4. (Like in math, x ">>" y.) Thus only the highest one matters, and that can support an infinite amount of that amount or lower, whereas any value can never support more than that amount. So no matter how much rating 4 you have, it can never fulfill the demand for a rating of 5. Thus they don't add up.

In-game it's sort of like the population rating, where a rating of 5 means 10^5 colonists, while a rating of 6 means 10^6 colonists, i.e. "much much more". So it's not a linear scale.

MrCordedrex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:27:47 AM »

Ooh, now I understand. Thanks mate, I guess that makes some sense now