Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.95a] Low Maintenance 1.1  (Read 79596 times)

Zym

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Low Maintenance 1.1
« on: May 19, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »

Can be added during a campaign.
Can not be removed from a campaign once saved.

What the mod does

Adds a hullmod called Low Maintenance that reduces supply maintenance by 50% and applies it to the following ships:
  • Dominator
  • Dominator XIV
  • Mora
  • Onslaught
  • Onslaught XIV
  • Legion
  • Legion XIV

Why those ships?

Two reasons:
  • Balance: These ships are hampered by their logistical footprint compared to their peers across the board. High tech ships by comparison sport far lower minimum crew requirements, lower fuel use and similar supply costs. To that end, the mod aims to make lowtech ships more competitive on the campaign layer.
  • Lore: Lowtech ships like the Onslaught are known for being very old and reliable. They're cheap to produce and spare parts are abundant because of it. It makes sense that they would be cheaper to maintain.

Also, as you can see on the following table, even when you apply such a drastic decrease in maintenance, their overall costs for flying around are still higher than their high tech counterpart. The ships with "(LM)" next to them are the same ships but with the Low Maintenance hullmod applied to their overall costs. The final cost calculations assumes base costs for the supplies, crew and fuel.

What it looks like ingame

Changelog:
  • 1.1: Removed superfluous information from .ship files.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:48:45 AM by Zym »

dEVoRaTriX_LuX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Low Maintenance 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 03:21:27 AM »

Would you consider a whitelist feature so that we can add low tech ships added from mods to get a reduction in maintenance cost? Thank you

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Low Maintenance 1.0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 04:10:38 AM »

Would you consider a whitelist feature so that we can add low tech ships added from mods to get a reduction in maintenance cost? Thank you

I fully second this idea. I've already got Luddic Church versions of Onslaught, Legion and Dominator thanks to the "Luddic Expansion" mod and it would be a shame for them to not recieve this mod goodness!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Zolanius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Low Maintenance 1.1
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »

Suggestion for tooltip text: "This type of mass produced ship has spare parts available in the entire sector, and has been built to both last, and be easily maintained, reducing maintenance cost by 50%."

A bit more flovery than just stating the obvious.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 10:52:15 AM »

It's short and to the point, just like the high maintenance hullmod.

I fully second this idea. I've already got Luddic Church versions of Onslaught, Legion and Dominator thanks to the "Luddic Expansion" mod and it would be a shame for them to not recieve this mod goodness!
Zym adds that hullmod to ships by replacing .ship files. He would have to create a script to dynamically add that hullmod to all ships designated low-tech or something else.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 03:17:12 PM »

owo dis should be added to vanilla

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »

Going to add +1 that this is a fantastic mod and really helps make the lowtech caps feel balanced. It also makes finding them early feel pretty good! (Your concern at that point is all the fuel they love to guzzle...)

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »

Huh. I never really put it into a spreadsheet, so I had no idea running a paragon was cheaper than an Onslaught. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense aside from simply being able to field more Onslaughts per fight. I mostly use high tech/phase ships anyway. Pretty neat mod, though. Maybe It'll feel more worth it to carry around a couple low tech ships.
"There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home."

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »

I love this idea.  Supply cost scales based on tech level.  SOOO your fancy ships would have a rather higher parts requirement. 

You could balance this more with fuel cost.  Higtech requires more supply.  but uses less fuel.  Come on our cars today are a pain to repair but don't use as much fuel as cars from the 60s

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 02:06:54 AM »

You could balance this more with fuel cost.  Higtech requires more supply.  but uses less fuel.  Come on our cars today are a pain to repair but don't use as much fuel as cars from the 60s
Uh, that would balance it less, since this is already a balance patch.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »

How does the new low-tech cruiser shape up? Should this mod be updated to 0.95.1a and include new ship?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 11:50:27 AM »

Dominator: 25 maintenance, 300 required crew, combined 5500 monthly. 5 fuel/ly
Eradicator: 20 maintenance, 120 required crew, combined 3200 monthly. 4 fuel/ly
In comparison to Dominator, it seems a fair bit cheaper. But what about other light cruisers?
Falcon: 14 maintenance, 100 required crew, combined 2400 monthly. 3 fuel/ly
Fury: 20 maintenance, 60 required crew, combined 2600 monthly (lmao). 3 fuel/ly
It's not much more expensive, but halving the maintenance would make it 2200 monthly credits, which I think might be fine, considering it guzzles more fuel than other light cruisers.

Adventwolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »

Any ship that has a XIV battlegroup version should have this added to them. Since all those hulls are supposed to be old and reliable workhorse designs. Same with added battlecruiser from High Tech expanded since it is built from stripped down onslaughts. Also thinking either the fuel or the crew requirements should also be cut since with such well known designs they would have been optimized to run the best while being cheap.

Raif Redacted

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 06:24:17 PM »

If anyone wants to add the Eradicator (newest, low-tech cruiser) or anything else, just copy one of the files from this mods' Hull folder and rename it to whatever ship you want to affect, using the exact same name of the file in the base-game folder. For instance, checking the base-game folder for the name, I copied the dominator.ship file and renamed it to eradicator.ship. That simple.

edit: only odd thing I've just noticed is that the Eradicator (P) variant has an 8.5 maintenance cost and doesn't round the percentage up/down to make it 8 or 9. It's the only ship that has a decimal of maintenance (might happen to other ships added in this way, but I don't see anything in the mod that causes this, so it's likely the devs missed some rounding code somewhere for the ship).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:04:35 PM by Raif Redacted »

SpaceBlender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 01:37:19 PM »

For anyone wondering, it is still working as of date with 0.96R8.
Just change the game version to the current one in the mod_info.json file.
Thank Ludd, for I follow the path.

Burn bright fellow spacers!
Pages: [1] 2