Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fog of War on outer stars  (Read 1902 times)

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fog of War on outer stars
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 11:51:50 PM »

And the excitement isn't just about finding the star system, which I agree definitely gets tedious after a while.  It's about getting back.  You seem to be missing the point. 

I think you're the one missing the point. Let me elaborate:
How much time do you take to find the derelict mission objectives?
Especially the ones that only gives extremely vague description ("At a distance from star", those type)
It's at least manageable because a system is only so big. Far-reach Hyperspace is a different story.
You are already forced to almost plow through the entire system to just find the objective if you don't know how to use Neutrino detector, which is not fun,
you now expect people have fun to be required to plow through Hyperspace?

While I don't care about it as strongly, I agree with Sutopia that fog of war on hyperspace map won't do anything besides wasting time. The only substantial gameplay difference is whether a system has medium or high danger Remnants inside, and beacons are hidden from the start anyway.

Yellow and orange stars are more likely to have habitable/low hazard worlds. Black holes and neutron stars are more likely to have research stations. Dense areas of the map are more likely to have a good world/system AND special stuff like a cryosleeper in the vicinity.

Hiding where, or even just what type, those stars are would change player behavior substantially and make simple exploration more rewarding. There would need to be 1-2 simple and easy ways to mass-explore constellations later on, though - like buying ship logs or sending exploration fleets out.

As far as colony is concerned it's not an issue.
Accessibility is still king of profit so noone is gonna explicitly find a good colony in the far-reaching shrouds.
It's simply not worth it.

Generally no time at all, I usually only take exploration missions where I have already explored and just didn't explore/salvage the probes and whatever.  I will grant you that derelict missions you can't find something because the derelict doesn't spawn until you take the mission, while survey missions don't matter, you know where as soon as you end up on the system.  As for Neutrino Detector, that is skill-locked now, I just don't use it anymore unless I am doing a deliberate run using that skill (thanks Alex!).  How about you don't tell me how to play and I don't tell you how to play.  I would be tempted to apologize for my previous ad hominem slip up, but your obstinacy (and ridiculous bolding and color changes) make it clear that would be a pointless exercise.  If Alex wants to change the color of an entire post to draw attention to something, that's dandy.  Your single sentence color changes just hurt the eyes.

As for accessibility being king of profit for colonies, that is much more easily solvable now due to being able to add stable points for comm relays and more colony improvements that can improve accessibility (plus Mega-port, but that was already in game).  People who are patient enough to find a good system/colony location out in the shroud aren't going to just not going to build a colony there.  If you aren't the patient type...  learn patience.  Your prerogative.

Behold, it has already been done! To a degree at least.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18416.0
Well, thats a mod and the suggestion applies to vanilla, but you are kinda right. It would make perfect sense to add full fog of war to the 'endless sectors' mod that I've seen lately.

However, its still different than the suggestion. The OP is smaller in scope, not asking to fog of war everything, just the edges of the map. (and in my case, the denser nebulas)

That mod actually looks like I gotta give it a shot once it gets updated (prolly still works now, but I can wait).  But yeah, like the previous poster points out, OP isn't saying ALL procedurally generated systems, just distant ones (ie, within some arbitrarily chosen distance from map edge, ideally player would be able to use a slider to choose how much; I guess depending how it's coded/implemented the max value might achieve basically the same result of mod, but that seems kind of overkill).

Please don't resort to personal attacks, or try to bypass the profanity filter. This is an official warning.

Finally, if you want me to stop end running around the censorship profanity filter, stop having it default everything to ***, ie three "stars."  Sometimes people need to be able to intimate that *** is really **** or ***********, and not just ***.  They don't have to know or learn the word, but it destroys the context of the statement.  We only need soviet censorship, not 1984 censorship.  I'm not trying to set myself up to drink a hemlock sangria, just your profanity filter seems to also be trying to compress memory and save space, not just filter something out.  But yeah, fine, I'll stop, since I guess if I really have to, I can just type ****** *** ****** ** ** * ***** ******* **********************.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:19:06 AM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...
Pages: 1 [2]