Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Make patrols team up for investigations.  (Read 356 times)

belone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Make patrols team up for investigations.
« on: May 22, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »

When more than one patrol chases you and they're close to each other they should merge into one encounter just like combat ships.

Right now what happens is that if you deny the scan and cut the comms they'll instead make two seperate runs at you which means you lose double the reputation which is really frustrating.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make patrols team up for investigations.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 12:02:08 AM »

That would actually be legit, but I doubt that the game's code can handle that (at least as of now, not saying that it would impossible to change/add).  I have a previous post that points out that the game would be much more interesting if the player could split their fleet (not just drop ships in/out of storage), but I accept that might not be added because a player might get screwed when their fleet gets caught/wiped randomly hiding in an asteroid belt and the player isn't there.

However, that wouldn't be a problem for patrol teams.  But, I also have a different previous post that suggested/agreed that the pip-squeak patrols shouldn't even attempt to engage a player's large fleet running dark way somewhere, but should follow/shadow player's fleet and summon (bring, not spawn) whatever larger fleets might be available in-system (or generate one that takes off from planet if none available, I guess).

This would seem a reasonable alternative, unless the combined patrol is still hilariously weak compared to your Uber Pirate armada running dark in the black...!
I wasn't always a Judge...