They are annoying, remove them
- 16 (19.5%)
They are immersive, I like them
- 24 (29.3%)
They are annoying and need to be reworked
- 42 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Asteroid impacts  (Read 5729 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Asteroid impacts
« on: May 16, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

I personally find them frustrating and mildly rage inducing after I win the jackpot and my ships bounce off 4 in a row. Having to slow down for them is not fun or engaging gameplay. I get why hyperspace storms are in the game for example. They are a double edged sword, riding them messes up your ships but get you around faster, on the flip side you can slow down to save supplies.

Asteroids have no up side, they only slow you down or cause repairs and mess up the autopilot.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid impacts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »

They do have a few upsides though: they reduce sensor profile and AI fleets slow down for them. They make really good hiding spots for dodging patrols or for "scraping" a patrol off if they are chasing.

Not to say that the asteroid pong game can't be frustrating sometimes, it can be for sure.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 11:52:41 AM »

One more reason why sensors is the best choice for the first tech skill.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »

That's picking specialized QoL over Generalized QoL.

Another reason why you should be able to take both right away, but that's another thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:58:35 AM by Locklave »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »

And deny yourself the top quality engaging gameplay that is cruising through Thule at burn 3? Nonsense, I haven't had that much fun in my space shooter since I last played Bingo...

I don't feel like I need to elaborate on my stance on damaging asteroid impacts. Drive field impacts are fine, they serve a functional (if slightly rare) purpose in slowing you down when a fleet is chasing you. Getting mugged by space rocks multiple times when your auto-pilot gets punted away from a jump point and ends up ramming face-first into more rocks trying to correct itself, though? Not ideal. Highly recommend getting Transverse Jump to not deal with jump points in asteroid rich areas since you'd either exit at the speed of an octogenarian or waste the supplies anyway.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 12:08:43 PM »

I'd say that cruising Thule at 3 is the fault of the asteroid impact mechanic. It's a solution to a problem that I see as created for no reason. Also cruising in system at 7 is still stupidly slow.

It's neat the first 1 or 2 times. Then it's just annoying.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »

I don't even bother showing down. Losing supplies is slightly annoying. However, NPCs going slow without regard to the situation makes it quite easy to lose patrols.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

Even in Isirah it is not hard to avoid the asteroid belts. Thule is trivial.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »

Asteroids is another nail in capital ship coffin. If you building wolfpack fleet you don't care because only one ship at a time gets affected by asteroids or space storms and supplies recovery for frigate is laughable compare to capital one. If you bring capitals you just need to slow down in storms or asteroid fields.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 06:10:09 PM »

Asteroid impacts were manageable when they didn't damage your ships, and thus only served to slightly increase travel time or get you caught by pursuing ships if you're unlucky.  Now with the right (wrong?) ships, an important ship can lose most of your CR and many dozens, if not hundreds, of supplies.  The only way to avoid it is to go slow for the remainder of the asteroid field, which eats about as many supplies w/o  T1R (due to more time required to pass) and more critically, real-life time.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »

If they did less damage to ships with more armor that would be nice.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »

I do believe it's important to distinguish asteroid strikes from actual asteroid belts and asteroids in combat.  Keep the actual asteroid belts and asteroids in combat, but honestly, why is there not a skill or hull mod that ignores/mitigates asteroid strikes?  They are super annoying but a relevant part of the game, and yet are also something that should be mitigated late game as part of the player's development, the "journey."  Plus, asteroid impacts I guess have changed over time, now seems to basically violate Newton's Three Laws when pushes you off course at same speed or greater, where before it just slowed you down a bunch.  I guess changed in 0.8?  I dunno, haven't played the game that long.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 01:39:17 AM »

I don't know why large ships are taking more relative damage then small ships, you'd think they'd be more dangerous to small ships.

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 04:03:56 AM »

I say we need MORE and BIGGER ASSteroids.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 11:36:24 PM »

I say we need MORE and BIGGER ASSteroids.

The occasional comet would also be nice!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:50:50 PM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...
Pages: [1] 2 3