Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Production Question  (Read 1999 times)

Skharr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Custom Production Question
« on: May 14, 2021, 01:13:12 PM »

Hey people, say is it possible to "craft" ships empty ? Like i just want to build a blank ship and slap my own weapons on it. But i get every time ships that already equipped. Not only that, i need to pay for weapons and fighters (especially on carriers its costly) i dont use. Im using Nexerelin and some other mods. Google could not help me, my own search in settings for main game & mods could not help me. Probably anyone else knows something ?

Thanks in advance  :)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Production Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »

The game will randomly pick from any known ship variant when it produces a ship, and if you add empty variants there's a chance that it will be chosen and give you an empty ship. Beyond that it's unfortunately not possible to not have your own industry scam you out of a bunch of money.

Skharr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »

Hmm.. so if i just delete all the variants, then i get a empty ship ? Or if i make my own and delete the other, i get weapons i like ? :D

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:26 PM »

Hmm.. so if i just delete all the variants, then i get a empty ship ?
I'm not sure that would work. I think that the vanilla files are still there. When you remove the variants from the loadout screen, it changes your campaign save file, not necessarily the one you want.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »

The game will(/should) include the existing base variants regardless, at least one of them, since otherwise being able to remove all possible variants would cause issues. But beyond that you can add as many blank variants as you can and hope to get lucky.

I can't recall off-hand if industry will "produce" weapons you don't actually have the blueprints for if they're included in a variant or whether it'll just pick whatever it thinks is the best substitute. If the former than yes, you can definitely give the game some loaded dice and see if you get "lucky" ;).

Skharr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »

Ohw.. sad. Still, thanks for the quick replies guys !
I hope we get a Mod for that. This is one of the things i never understood.. "Auto Loadout" for selfmade ships. If you buy one, you get nothing, if you craft one then someone put weapons on your ships.. without asking you, what you need. Imagine that in RL. You order a car, Standard version. But you get super tune up, with newest tech. And you need to pay, even when you dont order it :D

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:11 PM »

It comes with gas, brake fluid, windshield fluid, engine oil, filters, and possibly even headlight fluid.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure you get all the weapons on the ships for free, so you're not actually paying for them. Just strip it (with one click) and put whatever you want on it. There's really not much downside.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure you get all the weapons on the ships for free, so you're not actually paying for them. Just strip it (with one click) and put whatever you want on it. There's really not much downside.
Just tested it, and you do get charged for the weapons that a ship comes with. A 500K Paragon cost me 539K to produce, and stripping the weapons got me a little under 20K worth of guns. 600K worth of Herons carrying less than 80K worth of guns/LPCs cost me 757.5K.

Of course said productions also comes with free(?) supplies, fuel and crew, so maybe that balances out, but personally I'd rather get what I paid for and nothing more.

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:07 PM »

I smell are mod request to have your faction ships and your custom ships follow your loadout variants only.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »

I think WeiTuLo was trying to point out that you also get supplies/crew/fuel as part of that cost. 

The production of a Paragon cost me 543.7K (+43,700 additional credits), but it came with:
-1160 Fuel (@25 credits each that is 29,000 credits worth)
-860 Crew (@50 credits each that is 43,000 credits worth)
-270 Supplies (@100 credits each that is 27,000 credits worth)

Even selling at the local market at my colony at less than the standard cost and with a 30% tariff I still can make back ~54K, covering the additional credits and then some more. Selling all the randomly equipped weapons nets a further 15K (local market with tariffs included).  I worked out the same thing in this thread but with Apogees here:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20999.msg318860#msg318860

I actually would like the feature to build blank ships for a flat 500K, but if that meant no longer recieving the hugely discounted fuel/crew/supplies as part of the package, I would be losing more money on ship production.

Skharr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »

@Baquar sure, you get stuff. But try to calculate that again with a carrier (Destroyer / Cruiser) where you pay about 40k for the ship, but then you pay about 40k for the wings. That thing is rough, especialy at the "start". Want a carrier fleet, but i get that neasty 20k+ wings for my destroyer :/

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 02:38:25 AM »

@Baquar sure, you get stuff. But try to calculate that again with a carrier (Destroyer / Cruiser) where you pay about 40k for the ship, but then you pay about 40k for the wings. That thing is rough, especialy at the "start". Want a carrier fleet, but i get that neasty 20k+ wings for my destroyer :/
Oh..I see...I don't really use carriers so I never saw those figures and +40k sounds like a painful additional cost to absorb for a 40k ship. 

The thing is that production ships do seem to follow saved variant templates to a degree, but not all the time (and it can switch to the built-in default templates which you can't delete).  If we could specify to only use an exact template that we have created (ignoring weapons/LPC's we don't have the blueprints for, by leaving them blank), I think things would be good even if we needed to pay the full production cost of the weapons, in any case you could create a blank template if you needed to keep the costs down.  I just kind of like that we currently get fuel/crew/supplies at a much reduced cost...I don't even sell them myself, but find them handy as I don't have to worry about purchasing additional crew and fuel (the additional supplies are also nice).