Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A fatal error happening in the java runtime during combat.  (Read 715 times)

Temporary1290

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm currently having a huge problem whenever going into combat. At random intervals for what seems to be no reason whatsoever, the game suddenly crashes and just quits. It only happens during combat and this is shown.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f16a34f3ad7, pid=52254, tid=139735156815616
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_79-b15) (build 1.7.0_79-b15)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.79-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [iris_dri.so+0xc4fad7]  nouveau_drm_screen_create+0x29ff97
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/cf/.starsector/game/hs_err_pid52254.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

I use linux (linux mint xfce 20.1) and have some mods downloaded (the ones i find culprit to be lightshow, Torchships, or Vayra's ship pack)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A fatal error happening in the java runtime during combat.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »

Hmm - based on this: "iris_dri.so" - this looks like a crash in the graphics driver. If there's a different version of that available, using that might resolve the issue.

Temporary1290

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 03:12:50 PM »

I don't know if there is a different version of it or even how i could it and change out the one i currently have. I'm using intel integrated graphics on an Intel i7-10510U. Or does it need to be change in java?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 03:24:02 PM »

I'm not super familiar with desktop Linux so I'm not sure how one would go checking for driver updates/versions/etc there, my apologies. This does appear to be an issue with the driver, though; changing java etc isn't going to factor in.

You mentioned that you think one of the mods you're using is causing trouble? If so, I'd try to narrow it down further and maybe it's one you can run without.

Temporary1290

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »

I'm currently playing an unmodded play through to see. When i first got the game it seemed perfectly well because i didn't have any mods installed so you may be right. I believe it's a problem with lightshow since that's one of the graphical mods i have. The only other ones that could cause the crashes might be the ship mods which i think is unlikely.