Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Prometheus MKII...  (Read 4436 times)

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
Let's talk about the Prometheus MKII...
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:54:34 PM »

So I am correctly doing a LP run, and I just got my hand on one of these ships.

After trying it in combat, well...for 32 points, it clearly didn't pay for its worth of dp.

I wish Militarized subsystems was built-in so at least it leaves some OP for better weapons/hullmods.

I am thinking about tweaking ship files and give it some tweaks, so how do we make the promotheus MK2 viable?

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about the Prometheus MKII...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 10:54:04 PM »

I think it is not meant to be even closely to being viable. It's a tanker makeshifted by psychopaths just to barely have some gun and armour. And compared to atlas mk2 by pirates - pirates at least have some talent in construction, they did the best cruiser in the game after all, falcon(p). So only viable option for Prometheus is to ramming and then explode, as intended.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 11:17:10 PM »

You need to know that ships are meant to go on suicide attacks as a pather...
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 11:41:14 PM »

You need to know that ships are meant to go on suicide attacks as a pather...

For 32dp one would expect something takes an expensive capital with it... Its damage isn't that high

Realm

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 11:47:50 PM »

If you think of it as a Dominator merged with a Condor, with more flexible slots than either (and a Phaeton of fuel capacity shoved in) then it's really not a bad ship at all for the deployment cost.

Oh, and throw in the capital-grade hullmod scaling as a bonus.

Justinkid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:49:38 PM »

I totally agree. I know it's an intentionally mediocre capital ship, but there's no reason why it's dp can't be lower to reflect that.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:24:55 AM »

Last time I checked, it wiped the floor with 25DP Dominator (faster, capital ITU, more slots, 2 fighter bays). 32dp seems about adequate.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:46:05 AM »

With Auxiliary Support and an Assault Package it becomes a bit more viable. I used to drive a P2 with Assault Package in the early-midgame of one of my runs and with dual HILs plus some higher tier kinetic guns on it it was quite a formidable ship, even after the bug with it got fixed.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 03:23:36 AM »

I ended up giving it built-in Militarized subsystems. I think for 32p capital, it has very low op (220) and with decent loadout it can barely win against a dominator.

I tested it against a Conquest and it didn't stand a chance.

The build I used is:
Hullmods:
Militarized subsystems (before I modified ship files so I paid op for it)
Assault package
ITU

Weapons:
Large:
Squall
Mark IX
Hellbore

Medium:
2xHeavy autocannon

Small:
DMG and Vulcan

Fighters:
2 Broadside

This might not be the best build, but I found it survive longer this way in big fleet battles

In order to use assault package I have to pay 25op for militarized subsystems, so 25+15=40.  I have to pay 40op just to make it a proper combat ship.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 03:33:42 AM »

I ended up giving it built-in Militarized subsystems. I think for 32p capital, it has very low op (220) and with decent loadout it can barely win against a dominator.

I tested it against a Conquest and it didn't stand a chance.

The build I used is:
Hullmods:
Militarized subsystems (before I modified ship files so I paid op for it)
Assault package
ITU

Weapons:
Large:
Squall
Mark IX
Hellbore

Medium:
2xHeavy autocannon

Small:
DMG and Vulcan

Fighters:
2 Broadside

This might not be the best build, but I found it survive longer this way in big fleet battles

In order to use assault package I have to pay 25op for militarized subsystems, so 25+15=40.  I have to pay 40op just to make it a proper combat ship.

I don't exactly remember the build I used, but I remember that the Prometheus can surprisongly fit a large energy weapon on a turret, which more or less screams High Intensity Laser to me, altough installing a Squall on that conveniently placed large missle hardpoint instead of a Hammer barrage really is quite sad....

The fact it's a Luddic Path ship that still has the Civilian Status is quite disappointing to me aswell, but there are more expensive hullmods that should be fit first, like Heavy Armor, Reinforced Bulkheads and Expanded Missile Racks.

How much armor does it have by the way? If it can get to 2k armor with both HA and Armored Weapon mounts it could very well be eligible for Shield Shunt!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 03:45:19 AM »

This discussion of the luddic path prometheus has led me to an idea - what if the luddic path converted fuel freighters we basically suicide bombers? Give them some build in hull mod, something like "redemption contraption"  that basically explodes the vehicle as if it was destroyed, but with a few changes - the explosion is much stronger, bigger in radius, and most importantly - pierces through shield overload? And also modify the prometheus AI to target the biggest ship - like your capital. That would combine well with the burn drive. And of course, the player wouldnt be able to use it - firstly because there is only one button for special system, and secondly because it would be just wrong to explode yourself. That would make pathers much more dangerous than they currently are - because right now they are one of the weakest opponents to fight, and resemble an annoying fly rather than a wasp that will make you cr*p in your pants once you see one.

And, of course, add pather phaeton and drum, with the same explosion device.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 04:50:42 AM »

This discussion of the luddic path prometheus has led me to an idea - what if the luddic path converted fuel freighters we basically suicide bombers? Give them some build in hull mod, something like "redemption contraption"  that basically explodes the vehicle as if it was destroyed, but with a few changes - the explosion is much stronger, bigger in radius, and most importantly - pierces through shield overload? And also modify the prometheus AI to target the biggest ship - like your capital. That would combine well with the burn drive. And of course, the player wouldnt be able to use it - firstly because there is only one button for special system, and secondly because it would be just wrong to explode yourself. That would make pathers much more dangerous than they currently are - because right now they are one of the weakest opponents to fight, and resemble an annoying fly rather than a wasp that will make you cr*p in your pants once you see one.

And, of course, add pather phaeton and drum, with the same explosion device.

There's a mod called Luddic Enchancement (by King Alfonzo) that more or less does that actually! https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15084.0

Namely, an IED Dram and even a Prometheus Mk.2 variant that fires IED Drams as ammunition!
Spoiler
[close]
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 05:12:25 AM »

The fact it's a Luddic Path ship that still has the Civilian Status is quite disappointing to me aswell, but there are more expensive hullmods that should be fit first, like Heavy Armor, Reinforced Bulkheads and Expanded Missile Racks.

How much armor does it have by the way? If it can get to 2k armor with both HA and Armored Weapon mounts it could very well be eligible for Shield Shunt!

A single Prometheus2 can get some decent buffs from Auxiliary support. Of course with the caveat that you can't mil sub anything else if you use that.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 05:13:45 AM »

Oh, so it was invented already :) unfortunately Im not a fan of modded starsector, I prefer the vanilla experience. At least for now.

Edit: but that mod doesnt feature the suicide bomb hullmod, isnt it? Although some changes seems like something that would fit vanilla game quite nicely
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:27:31 AM by Undead »

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 05:32:49 AM »

I think your best bet is a long range support finisher/bomber. It has bad shields and armor so it can't really tank so much. But it has 3 large mounts that all face forward and two fighter wings you can work with.
Pages: [1] 2