Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Make Cryosleeper increase the maximum colony size?  (Read 5013 times)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Make Cryosleeper increase the maximum colony size?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 11:01:44 AM »

I do not know how restless major factions become when Free Port is on (they mostly left me alone with it off).
As far as I can tell Free Port is just another form of expedition, not something that's on a separate timer from economic-based attacks.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »

i hate how limiting the colony system is now
you can't even get to size 7 with cryosleeper which apparently has planets worth of people in it and going to size 6 is pretty fast so it's pretty much useless and has no purpose now
can't even make a organ harvesting operation using cryosleepers

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »

What do pathers do other than cause occasional disruptions and lower stability? Do they actually destroy colonies if left for long enough? I haven't seen them as enough threat to really bother with at all, I just put items in.
That's all but it can be a real pain at the earlier stages of the colony game when a pather disruption can tank your profitability. Plus their attacks have a higher chance of success the lower your stability is so they're likely to cause trouble when you're already dealing with attacks.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »

you can't even get to size 7 with cryosleeper which apparently has planets worth of people in it and going to size 6 is pretty fast so it's pretty much useless and has no purpose now
How fast are we talking about? Without hazard pay most planets can’t even grow.
Cryosleeper essentially waived the hazard pay cost and make easy colony kickstart.
If that’s not even enough either you need to get gud or you’re playing modded game that it’s not the base game to be blamed.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »

How fast are we talking about? Without hazard pay most planets can’t even grow.
Cryosleeper essentially waived the hazard pay cost and make easy colony kickstart.
If that’s not even enough either you need to get gud or you’re playing modded game that it’s not the base game to be blamed.
fast enough that the effort to find one and to fight the boss isn't worth it
it's supposed to be a rare and powerful tool but it only slightly increases population rate and that's it

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »

it's supposed to be a rare and powerful tool but it only slightly increases population rate and that's it

I activate my trap card: Citation Needed.

I always feel them as nice little bonus at best. It essentially turn all worlds within 10 ly “able to grow to size 6 without insane hazard pay”. It already feels like cheating the system since their presence is almost guaranteeing profitable colonies.
Besides, it took me about 10 cycles to grow my mediocre planet(s) from 3 to 6. (Lowest hazard 150, 15 ly from core, no megastructure related bonus)
Unless you selectively only play good seeds with insanely low hazard rating and/or habitable near core world it’s a long process. At that point you shouldn’t even need the assist from it as you suggested.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »

I activate my trap card: Citation Needed.

I always feel them as nice little bonus at best. It essentially turn all worlds within 10 ly “able to grow to size 6 without insane hazard pay”. It already feels like cheating the system since their presence is almost guaranteeing profitable colonies.
Besides, it took me about 10 cycles to grow my mediocre planet(s) from 3 to 6. (Lowest hazard 150, 15 ly from core, no megastructure related bonus)
Unless you selectively only play good seeds with insanely low hazard rating and/or habitable near core world it’s a long process. At that point you shouldn’t even need the assist from it as you suggested.
well that's how YOU play mr. pro player
they're usually found way outside in the void to kickstart any colony and usually the close-by planets are pretty *** and paying extra to increase rate vs trying to find one by exploring through the entire sector and bringing a whole war fleet to defeat the boss to get the same effect and maybe getting some decent but probably mediocre loot is pretty crappy

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 03:57:16 PM »

Yeah so just pay up if you’re that lazy, what’s the problem?

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »

the problem is it becomes useless content

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »

I don’t get these rare=good ideology. You personally feel it useless doesn’t mean the content itself is useless. You can justify nothing by arguing it doesn’t fit your play style.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 04:07:45 PM »

For what it's worth, there are vanilla core worlds with 9 organics production, so you can just use any method of reducing demand by 1 (a beta core for instance) and use cryo-revival without having 10 production in faction.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »

if it's rare but not good then what's the point ?
why search every inch of the sector and turn it upside down to find it and fight a grueling battle ?
and in lore it supposedly has planets worth of people frozen in it yet it only slightly increases rate

HaruHaru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »

I pondered over similar idea, repairing and transporting cryosleeper to your own size 6 colony being a part of optional questline about gaining legitimacy as a major power in the sector.

Lorewise, size 7 world with orbital works and high command means that player commands military and industrial might comparable to likes of sindrian diktat and luddic church, which should allow for "do it on your own"-style story decisions, like using your faction fleets instead of trying to get backing from hegemony or tritach, or being able to research and build story-related projects domestically due to having your own Kazeron or Sindria with hundreds of pre-collapse eductated experts from cryosleeper.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 03:55:51 AM »

If you think rare shouldn't equal powerful then it should at least equal unique. Plus you're likely sacrificing accessibility in order to make use of the cryosleeper.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 06:52:41 AM »

I wouldn't mind a cryosleeper allowing colonies to grow to size 7, instead or in addition to the current bonus of faster colony growth. It would make it more enticing, instead of ultimately unnecessary.

(a beta core for instance)
I find it funny that you didn't even think of gamma cores friendship tokens. I still hate that Alex got rid of player colony contribution to the global market to make gamma cores less bad, and even that failed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3