Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] Raid-for-blueprints exploit  (Read 1687 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.95a-RC15] Raid-for-blueprints exploit
« on: May 12, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »

It is possible, by judiciously refusing to learn the 4 most expensive blueprints known by a faction, to manipulate the ground raid blueprint picker into always providing duplicates of those expensive blueprints.

This can result in consistently over a million credits of looted value per raid, from blueprints alone.

Side note: getQuantityRange() appears to always produce the result of 3-4 blueprints, because bpUseScale is typically over 1000 and the top bracket looks for 8+.  I don't know if that's intentional.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Raid-for-blueprints exploit
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »

This, along with selling factions Domain artifacts that introduce massive demands of either volatiles (Lamp) or Transplutonics (Tap, if within 10 LY of the Star Hairpin) are the only two things I did not know in my now completed pseudo-pirate playthrough.

I can confirm the latter works through AcaMentis, but I don't know about his one. I mean I should thecnically work as you hypothesised it would, unless the game actually takes the blueprints you got in your inventory as if you learned them already. Might be what could happen.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »

unless the game actually takes the blueprints you got in your inventory as if you learned them already

It does not.  Also, that wouldn't be enough, since you can just sell them to the black market next door and then return to raid more copies.

The most straightforward fix I can come up with is for each faction to keep track of (via sector memory key) the set of blueprint IDs that the player has already stolen from that faction.  That set would serve as an additional filter to sort between the "all" bucket and the "unknown" bucket, effectively killing this exploit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:43:09 PM by Dark.Revenant »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »

unless the game actually takes the blueprints you got in your inventory as if you learned them already

It does not.  Also, that wouldn't be enough, since you can just sell them to the black market next door and then return to raid more copies.

I've ended up selling high tech blueprints to pirates through repeatedly raiding Echou Bres and Culann whenever I transitioned to that part of the sector in my latest campaign and I can't remember for the Ludd of me if I ever sold them a second copy of the same blueprint, altough I would've noticed if I ever sold them a second Paragon blueprint. I fear you may actually need to have someone that does not have an intense iteration of selective memory responding to this bug report ::)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:47:32 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 05:52:29 AM »

(Oh boy.) Nice find, thank you for the report! I've logged this to look into.