Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Do colonies grow past size 6?  (Read 19963 times)

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Do colonies grow past size 6?
« on: May 12, 2021, 03:44:31 AM »

I've just noticed that on the colonies tab the size of my oldest colony is listed as "6 (+18%)". Which begs the question of what happens in however many cycles it'll take to get to 100%.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Do colonies grow past size 6?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 03:56:35 AM »

I've just noticed that on the colonies tab the size of my oldest colony is listed as "6 (+18%)". Which begs the question of what happens in however many cycles it'll take to get to 100%.

Colonies can not go over size 6 in 0.95, It's a legitimate way for the game to avoid having the player in control of otherwise disgustingly profitable colonies that are also basically immune to being raided due to all the zie bonuses both fleet size and ground defences are provided with.

You can edit this and have your colonies grow past size 6 if you modify the settings.json file in the starsector folder if you want to, altough it does break balance somewhat as the only in-game colonies past 6 in vanilla are the core worlds of major, long standing factions and getting to their population level in 10-20 years only seems very lore-breaking.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:58:30 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:57:09 AM »

If it reaches 100% it just sits there and do nothing. Player colonies cannot grow past size 6 unless that limit is changed in settings.json. You can call it an oversight that the growth percentage is still shown, but I believe the game still keeps track in case the player increases colony growth limit midgame in some way (either through settings changes or mods, presumably).

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »

Not anymore.  Supposed in-game reason is that a player colony shouldn't end up with more population than most of the sector without the people coming from somewhere (ie, depopulating the core).  Kinda doesn't make any sense, since you can find cryo-sleeper ships that might drop half a sector's worth of people (since turning cryo-ships into organ farm isn't an option without mods)... but easier to just cap limit at 6 instead of calculating any sort of logarithmic or sigmoid growth curve (only took Stellaris like 16 updates to get to such a point).  Especially since this game isn't supposed to be 4X, nominally a table-top RPG with save story points now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 06:24:26 AM »

@Arcagnello: I'm extremely curious about your disgust threshold) I can't remember how much money I was making the last version, but 300k net from a single planet with ~20k defenses is pretty gross.

@AcaMetis I see, thank you. Yeah, the contrast with main colony screen showing "max size, no growth" throws me off.

Looking at demands of some of the 8-sized colonies, I think I'm better off without them. Getting enough drug production for mining already requires either an improvement or an alpha core (and an admin with Industrial Planning ofc). Might give it a shot when I'm done with this playthrough though, just to see how stupidly broken that'd be.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »

using cryosleepers to go past size 6 would be REALLY nice

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »

Can't delete my comment nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:38:33 AM by Flacman3000 »
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.