Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Is damage control broken? (UPD: looks like it is, repro+screenshots+save)  (Read 812 times)

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile

So in suggestions thread (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21614.0) I described how my ships with "almost always recoverable" keep getting destroyed (recoverable with SP only) and I thought it was intended. But people pointed out that ships are supposed to be 100% recoverable with that skill which is clearly not the case from what I tested.

All officers in my fleet have one of the industry's "almost always recoverable" skills and it still feels like good 50% of the time my ships get destroyed instead of disabled and then they require an SP to recover.

I also don't understand why the description needs to be so cryptic: if it's supposed to make ships 100% recoverable, why does it say "almost always"? This is just confusing, because if it happens to a player, they just say : "welp, maybe that's why it says "almost always" instead of "always" and think it's intended.

There was thread recently where someone reported this bug happening when they transferred control, but it definitely happened to me many times when I was NOT transferring control.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:44:22 AM by Madskills »

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile

One thing that I noticed is that these non-recoverable accidents seem to happen particularly around my doom cruiser. It's possible that it's tied to the mines friendly fire damage, because most of the time when my phase ships get destroyed, it's because they just happened to run into my doom's mine?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:43:51 AM by Madskills »

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Is damage control broken?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 04:43:04 AM »

Ok disregard the previous post, I found a reliable repro for this problem. Here's a link to my test savefile : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WBq55iDAEEivJqqcc_qWKDuijM8XaYTG/view?usp=sharing

So what I do is I use this ship (named Griffin):

Then I go run simulation with it and add this ship (named Leviathan):

Then I use cryoblasters on Griffin and quantum disruptor to very quickly destroy the Leviathan. And despite the fact that its officer Hathor Phobos has Reliability Engineering, good 50% of the time the Leviathan gets destroyed instead of getting disabled. When this happens during a mission, the ship needs an SP to recover.

I tried it with various officers and various ships and looks like both reliability engineering and damage control do literally nothing in terms of ships getting destroyed. However, reinforced bulkheads does seem to work: I could not destroy a ship that has reinforced bulkheads this way.

PS: I assume that when a ship gets destroyed this usually means that I may be not able to recover it without using SP. If this assumption is wrong and damage control is supposed to just make ships always recoverable (although still destructable) then this simulation test is invalid and I'll have to come up with another one that actually involves combat. However, if damaged control is supposed to prevent ships from getting destroyed, then this is very easy to repro.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:50:58 AM by Madskills »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thank you for the detailed report and save! I've logged this to get looked into.