Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Support Fighter Control  (Read 709 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Support Fighter Control
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:38:56 PM »

I've been playing around with different carrier builds since the release of a few mods that support a wider variety of them. However, in my testing I've discovered that trying to get support fighters to engage the right target in a fleet setting is like trying to herd cats - they just won't do what I want them to do! Support fighters with 0 engagement range (like the vanilla Xyphos, or the Roider's Dragline and Torchship's Firespitter) completely ignore Engage orders - this also extends to mods that remove engagement range, like the Bastion Carrier Core from the Modern Carriers mod, except in this case all fighters mounted to that ship will act like support fighters, ignoring Engage orders.

Here's a video to illustrate this particular issue. They try to shoot the closest enemy, whether it's a fighter that's just buzzed the command deck or some frigate off to the flank that's not the priority target. I set them to Engage partway through, but they continue targeting the Borer drones. This makes coordinating said support fighters exceedingly difficult.

All fighters should heed Engage orders - for 0 engagement range fighters like the Xyphos, ordering them to Engage should make the carrier's target their target as well, so you can at least tell your herd of cats to shoot the same thing. When not set to Engage, the normal behavior works fine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:41:01 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Support Fighter Control
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:25:01 AM »

So if you assign engage to anything outside of operation range they ignore such order but is willing to shoot up whatever they find in their current range.

I do think the AI need some adjustment to take weapon range into consideration.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Support Fighter Control
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 05:19:50 PM »

I am not against this, but IMO it would require engage not disabling the zero flux boost if all wings have 0 range.