Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Modern Carriers 1.9.5  (Read 203528 times)

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] [Hullmod] Modern Carriers 1.12
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »

I noticed a bug/issue with the Bastion Core hullmod

When using a wing from the Arma Armatura mod, the wing was locked on the "hide behind carrier" behavior, just like bombers on "Regroup", regardless of engage/regroup status. Is this a hardcoded behavior? I seem to remember that wings with zero engagement ignore the engage/regroup setting. Can a hullmod modify the behavior of the wings to fix this? Ideally, a carrier with this hullmod would have all its wings spread to the sides/front, acting as guards for the carrier, instead of hiding behind it.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »

When using a wing from the Arma Armatura mod, the wing was locked on the "hide behind carrier" behavior, just like bombers on "Regroup", regardless of engage/regroup status. Is this a hardcoded behavior? I seem to remember that wings with zero engagement ignore the engage/regroup setting. Can a hullmod modify the behavior of the wings to fix this? Ideally, a carrier with this hullmod would have all its wings spread to the sides/front, acting as guards for the carrier, instead of hiding behind it.
I think it can be done by overriding ship AI of fighter on fighter creation. However I’m not that familiar with custom AI so I’ll need to dig into that.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »

Just FYI that's standard Support Fighter behavior - they stay behind the carrier to, well, provide support. However, if the parent ship decides to Vent, they will move up to in front to actually take some hits for the carrier, which is nice.

Support Fighters in general are like herding cats though, they don't listen to Engage orders at all, and more often than not will shoot the wrong thing.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »

Xyphos wings are supports done (mostly) right: they zip around close to their carrier and shoot anyone that comes close. The behavior I reported was the whole wings staying huddled together without moving at all, at about 300 hundred units directly behind their carrier, exactly like bombers on Regroup. Also, I don't recall them moving forward when the carrier was venting.

If the mod also applied an override to all wings' AI so they acted a bit like Xyphos, I think it would be a great improvement.

Just FYI that's standard Support Fighter behavior - they stay behind the carrier to, well, provide support. However, if the parent ship decides to Vent, they will move up to in front to actually take some hits for the carrier, which is nice.

Support Fighters in general are like herding cats though, they don't listen to Engage orders at all, and more often than not will shoot the wrong thing.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »

Wings with 0 engagement range specifically ignore Engage orders, not Regroup - they act like they're on Regroup all the time. How the wing acts while on Regroup comes down to what type of wing they are - fighters and interceptors hang around up front and attack any close enemy in an orbit pattern, support fighters do their own thing, and bombers hang way in the back doing nothing at all if they're armed with unguided ordnance. Bastion doesn't do anything to change fighter AI, everything else goes back to vanilla mechanics, and it doesn't play well with Bastion.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »

Wings with 0 engagement range specifically ignore Engage orders, not Regroup - they act like they're on Regroup all the time. How the wing acts while on Regroup comes down to what type of wing they are - fighters and interceptors hang around up front and attack any close enemy in an orbit pattern, support fighters do their own thing, and bombers hang way in the back doing nothing at all if they're armed with unguided ordnance. Bastion doesn't do anything to change fighter AI, everything else goes back to vanilla mechanics, and it doesn't play well with Bastion.

Adding a little bit of context

The behavior checks two values:
If the carrier is set to engage
If the target is in engagement range. If no locked target, check if nearest target is in engagement range. (Or rather, operating range if you would)

So it doesn’t work by setting an arbitrary positive value. The AI requires complete override.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 07:10:25 PM »

Not sure if it's happening for anyone else, but my windows defender is picking up the download as a threat for some reason. Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

Dhodho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »

That does not sound good

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2021, 09:28:02 PM »

Not sure if it's happening for anyone else, but my windows defender is picking up the download as a threat for some reason. Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml
Did you have such issue with any other mod?
Which part of the mod got removed? Is it just .jar?
Have you tried any "actual" antivirus? I've scanned my release package with several antivirus and none reported any threat.
You should be able to see all other files and they're all just plain text.

I will not disclose source code just because a random guy uses windows defender that throws a false positive.

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »

Have you tried any "actual" antivirus? I've scanned my release package with several antivirus and none reported any threat.

I will not disclose source code just because a random guy uses windows defender that throws a false positive.

Wow okay, first off, calm down and stop acting so defensive, I'm just letting you know that something seems to be tripping an anti-virus. I'm not looking to steal your source code or whatever conspiracy theory you seem to have cooked-up.

But for your actual questions, No other issues with other mods, whole 7zip file gets deleted immediately on download and I've put the file through virustotal and hybrid analysis which both reported clean.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2021, 10:35:31 PM »

Wow okay, first off, calm down and stop acting so defensive, I'm just letting you know that something seems to be tripping an anti-virus. I'm not looking to steal your source code or whatever conspiracy theory you seem to have cooked-up.

But for your actual questions, No other issues with other mods, whole 7zip file gets deleted immediately on download and I've put the file through virustotal and hybrid analysis which both reported clean.

I apologize. It's mainly because a relatively new account suddenly claiming about the mod containing virus and another relatively new account closely replied negatively without context.
Almost like a drama happened elsewhere, by false claiming mod being malicious for disclosure of source code.

If windows defender is still being a d**k you can go to https://github.com/Sutopia/-StarSector-0.95a-Modern-Carrier/tree/v1.2 for individual files
Let me know if any individual file gets complained by windows defender.

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »

I apologize. It's mainly because a relatively new account suddenly claiming about the mod containing virus and another relatively new account closely replied negatively without context.
Almost like a drama happened elsewhere, by false claiming mod being malicious for disclosure of source code.

If windows defender is still being a d**k you can go to https://github.com/Sutopia/-StarSector-0.95a-Modern-Carrier/tree/v1.2 for individual files
Let me know if any individual file gets complained by windows defender.

Oh huh, didn't realise my account was that new, I've been around since 2018(not that old relative to some of the veterans here, but not fresh either) but I guess I just downloaded mods without creating an account back then.

Not sure which incident you're referring to, but fair enough I suppose.

I'm actually already using 1.2, I set defender to ignore the file after checking it came up clean on virustotal and hybrid analysis. Scanning the unzipped folder also doesn't turn up any flags, with both defender and malwarebytes, so defender was probably reading something funny with the zip file?

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] [Hullmod] Modern Carriers 1.2.5a
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »

The mod is updated to 1.2.5a with some QoL enhancement and bug fixes.
There will not be any further minor version for 1.2.X unless critical bug is found.
Working fully on re-inventing the wheel (I mean, AI) for Bastion.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2021, 05:37:32 AM »

In version 1.1 of this mod(where Bastion would set engagement range to 0), AI carriers would still attempt to "engage" fighters despite that not doing anything due to the 0 engagement range, just generating flux for no reason.

I was actually using another mod [0.9.1a] Disable Action Hullmods here that forced ai-piloted carriers to always stick to "Regroup" instead of adjusting engagement distance. I see that you're mainly dealing with undesirable regroup behavior for certain fighter types now, so I'm not sure how useful this might be but perhaps there might be something useful there? (with that mod author's permission presumably)

It’s not the carrier that got issue but the fighter AIs.
Fighters are not doing anything at range 0 and just ignores your order altogether.

Bidiguilo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »

Honestly, this mod is very creative and a must have for anyone who enjoys playing carriers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15