Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help with ship_data.csv (answer found)  (Read 1465 times)

Pookaboom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Need help with ship_data.csv (answer found)
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »

Had the game since it was called starfarer but recently started to get back into it. Normally I just make a small change to the file to get rid of the monthly maintence supply drain but I leave the rest in. Sadly I find I'm not able to edit it anymore after the update as all my tools that can read Excel files don't seem to read the file right anymore (formatting is always a little off) and my excel trial ran out.

I know there is the cheat mod for infinite supplies however I'm not looking to get rid of them. Just don't like the constant drain factor (unless I'm performing actions like combat or flying through a storm ect)

Would anyone be able to send me the lightly changed ship_data.csv file? I looked up mods but at least with some key words nothing cropped up and note pads and open office's tools just don't read it entirely correctly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:12:32 AM by Pookaboom »

SirOsse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with ship_data.csv
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »

You can use ship editor to change the csv file, import the ship and mess around all you like (here: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11491.0)

Pookaboom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:55:03 AM »

Ah I see, this could be handy.... there a trick to just mass edit one detail? Loading every ship one at a time is.... gonna take some time to do lol

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »

I haven't used it, but I've heard other's recommend Ron's CSV editor as being good. I think it has a free version?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »

I'd suggest just using notepad++.
(And, yeah, excel is terrible at maintaining formatting of csv files. Or anything else that's not excel-formatted, really.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

If you have gmail, you could *probably* import the csv into google sheets. And then export is as csv. A google sheets export is where the csv originally comes from.

stormturmoil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:09:52 PM »

If you want a more Excel-like editor without it being Excel, Libreoffice edits CSV files fine in the same way, and does not mess up the formatting as long as you set it to single-comma dividers, and is Free. I staretd using after realising Excel was borking my file formatting despite allegedely setting it not to.
OpenOffice, built off the same code before Libreoffice forked off, might also work.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »

I use Openoffice for CSV changes, it's as elegant as a rampaging elephant but it gets the job done. So long as you set it up correctly, comma dividers only or you're going to end up with every ship having 0 flux cost to maintain their shields/phase cloak...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 06:37:15 PM »

I'd suggest just using notepad++.
(And, yeah, excel is terrible at maintaining formatting of csv files. Or anything else that's not excel-formatted, really.)

I have never had format problems with Excel that weren't my own fault. It is clumsy to use, though, always asking "are you sure you want to save as csv?" Yes, I'm *** sure!

Pookaboom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »

Sorry about the delay in responding, but found one that works. Did not know csv files where the own thing till yesterday.

But thanks for the help and replies :)