Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Irreparable damage to weapons  (Read 7650 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Irreparable damage to weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »

Maybe weapons that get disabled over and over during combat should be "destroyed" after a battle. After al ships can get destroyed, why not weapons :D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »

I imagine that in the future there won't be as many weapons to choose from at the different outposts, so the weapons on your ship being destroyed would get very tedious. I guess I just don't really see the fun or the tactical element destructible weapons bring to the game.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »

I imagine that in the future there won't be as many weapons to choose from at the different outposts, so the weapons on your ship being destroyed would get very tedious. I guess I just don't really see the fun or the tactical element destructible weapons bring to the game.

The same goes for ships you know ;) but I do agree, that wouldn't bring much to the game so it's probably better like it is right now.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »

Yes, but we aren't talking about ships. And, yes, I'm still arguing with you after you agreed with me.

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

Only tedious because weapons are so expensive compared to ships right now.  Realistically (not the best word to use in a fantasy space game) a weapon system is a much smaller % of vehicle cost.

Reduce weapon costs on low-tech weapons, so a fleet would ideally carry a number of replacement weapons in storage. Perhaps not the quality of a pristine fleet, but good in an extended campaign.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »

After seeing that little arguement between Rueben and Uomoz I wondered

Why can't we just add engines/thrusters, some crew space to a weapon and call it a ship ?

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »

Because ships are not that simple.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »

Scenario: You put a cockpit and engines on a set of missiles and you now call it a ship. You are now driving something with no armor, minimal hull integrity, and oh yeah, they're missiles meant to explode. One shot and you are screwed.

And, as the previous poster said, ships aren't simple. Life support, crew quarters, a bridge or command center, engine room, cargo bays, blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:28:08 PM by BillyRueben »

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »

Having to replace weapons potentially after every battle seems incredibly tedious.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

Less of 'one shot and you are screwed' and more of 'first time you enter a cloud of gas freaking everything gets torn off'.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

Fine. At any rate, it wouldn't go well.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »

Then you have the problem of capital ships like the conquest being ripped apart by even destroyers. Hell, even an Onslaught would miss 3 of its 5 large ballistic mounts.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

jacobgr43

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 05:55:43 AM »

I think a better idea would be for a weapon to be disabled for the remainder of the battle if it's disabled more than 3 times rather than being outright destroyed.
Pages: 1 [2]