Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quality of Life Suggestions  (Read 1704 times)

Voracioush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Quality of Life Suggestions
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »

I love this game and have found myself playing a ton.  I bought the game originally in 2013 and seriously started playing last year.  Love the community and all of the love and support Starsector gets.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here's a list of suggestions I've thought of to maybe improve the game a bit:

1. Custom Production sorting: Under custom production the ability to sort by # of total owned of that weapon/fighter/hull so I can make sure I have all the weapons I have blueprints for without cycling through every single one which takes forever.

2. Positive relationship rewards for polities: If cooperative or other positive relationship with a faction you no longer get dinged with reputation if found without IFF on or if you sold/have illegal cargo (under a reasonable limit).  They would still pull you over but then it would do a reputation check and it would say something like.  "Oh sorry sir I didn't realize who you were try to put your IFF on next time.  Have a great day."

3. Special items changes:

a) Soil nanites not allowing rare ore should be removed; if you find a habitable planet with rare ore you're essentially punished.  I can see volatiles as staying
   b) Mantle bore not allowed on habitable world should be removed.  Make a side effect similar to nanoforge pollution be earthquakes but only for atmosphere planets.
   c) Catalytic core only allowed on no atmosphere should be changed to just not habitable, I should be able to use this on thick or thin atmospheres
   d) Combat drone replicator seems like a nice to have but doesn't really do much if you already have a station and heavy batteries.  I think adding a reduction of the decivilized hazard rating by controlling them with drones would be cool.  Or making it a station item instead and having the station pump out drone fighters that you have blueprints for

Right now these restrictions make no atmosphere worlds the best for generating money when habitable worlds should be more valuable. The only things with max efficiency (other than commerce) you can install on habitables is a farm and light industry.

4. Cryosleeper: Allow a cryosleeper to let a habitable planet population to increase from size 6 to size 7.  It really has no use especially since getting to size 6 doesn't take long.

5. Polity expeditions:  Expeditions into your space without delcaring war can be fun, but not so much the -5rep if you defeat them.  I think that we should be able to do the same to them if they attack us.  Set a goal of disrupting a port or industry and only suffer a -5rep pentalty if completed.  If my rep with a faction is going to spiral at least let me contribute in the tit for tat against those damn Hatfields.

6. Neutrino Detector:  Please get rid of false positives.  I don't like being tricked and spending supplies that I could be exploring with to go out in the middle of nowhere so I just never use it.  When exploring a system I only check planets, around stars, gates, and sometimes asteroid clusters.  If you want me to search out more in systems where I'm not even guaranteed it's not going to be more than a probe, just let it work normally, plus I already have to bring volatiles with me to use it.

7. Supplies used UI:  Can you expand the total supplies and supplies/day to also include supplies/day for repairs and total supplies?  That way I don't have to tab between the fleet screen?  There should be room to put the other two next to it on the UI?

8. Special items and AI cores for planets:  Let me dump them onto the resource stockpile or local storage so that I can install them remotely pretty please.  That way I can pre-plan a planet and not have to babysit it.

9. Waystations:  Waystations should generate a small amount of free supplies/fuel for the player.  Using Industrial revolution mod I always like to build a variable manufactory using the VPC to do it.  Make it small like 20 supplies and fuel per month.  That way it also gives you incentive to visit your faction worlds and feel like you get something more than just credits.

10. Max Rep Reward: In another example of getting something for lots of good reputation, give me a story point if I max out a contact's reputation that I've built up or maybe 2 as a reward.

11.  No storage while exploring:  Make putting excess stored items that you find while exploring either able to stay on the platform/planet you found or make stabilizing them in orbit cheap or cost metal.  99% of the time they get thrown away now and I have little to no incentive to go back and get them.  So much ore, metals, food, and organics vented to space!  Think of all the children on Chico that could have used them.

12. Easy quest making:  This might be a big ask but a way for non-java software people to develop quests.  It would be amazing if in a text file someone could make easy quests generated at X planets to make some quest chains based on delivery of goods, raids, exploration of systems and write dialogue.  I think this would make mod story items explode and really enrich the story in the game and allow more people access to mod this amazing game.

13. Tech Mining Building:  Even with the last bump it's not worth building over another industry, especially early game where every little industry counts and you want to survive.  I just never build them.  Especially when most comments on its rewards are so low with only getting random weapons or maybe an AI or two.  Make it not take an industry slot and I'll always build it, especially early game when I could actually use the items.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:18:09 PM by Voracioush »

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of Life Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »

Repair Cr Limit: If you are low on supplies and on your way back you may get a few storm impacts on the way and have to manually repair the affected ship, I want some setting to only repair up to 5 Cr to prevent accidents.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »

Right now these restrictions make no atmosphere worlds the best for generating money when habitable worlds should be more valuable. The only things with max efficiency (other than commerce) you can install on habitables is a farm and light industry.
I don't think it's bad that items encourage colonising planets other than habitable. Previously, all you wanted was a good habitable planet with some whatever in the system for more defence. Now you may want different planets for different purposes.

5. Polity expeditions:  Expeditions into your space without delcaring war can be fun, but not so much the -5rep if you defeat them.  I think that we should be able to do the same to them if they attack us.  Set a goal of disrupting a port or industry and only suffer a -5rep pentalty if completed.  If my rep with a faction is going to spiral at least let me contribute in the tit for tat against those damn Hatfields.
Major factions have no interest in playing fair. That said, you can raid other factions while losing <20 rep. More if you get caught by patrols, less if you don't. I just raided Chicomoztoc and it cost me 13 rep.

9. Waystations:  Waystations should generate a small amount of free supplies/fuel for the player.  Using Industrial revolution mod I always like to build a variable manufactory using the VPC to do it.  Make it small like 20 supplies and fuel per month.  That way it also gives you incentive to visit your faction worlds and feel like you get something more than just credits.
If you are running a big enough fleet, just being able to fill your tanks to full without having to visit an outright fuel factory is a relief. Though it doesn't really matter, since the cheapest fuel is the one you get from raids anyway.

13. Tech Mining Building:  Even with the last bump it's not worth building over another industry, especially early game where every little industry counts and you want to survive.  I just never build them.  Especially when most comments on its rewards are so low with only getting random weapons or maybe an AI or two.  Make it not take an industry slot and I'll always build it, especially early game when I could actually use the items.
I build them at first and let them do their thing for a couple of months, but so far nothing interesting has happened. It would be nice if tech-mining wasn't an industry, it doesn't really have any reason to be one. It doesn't make money anymore.

Voracioush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »

Thanks for the input SCC

3. I agree completely that I like the new items and that they encourage using other planet types.  My suggestions don't really change that, just some tweaks, did those sound reasonable?

5. I see what you're saying but don't like that they hit you with -5rep and when you do the same it's almost 3x as much.  I would just like some sort of option to hit back equivalently.

13. Early on a heavy industry, military base, or basic industry is more important so it never gets built for me, also agreed on the money comment.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

Combat Drones negating Decivilised Subpopulations and Mantle Bore creating Tectonic Activity sound like interesting ideas.

Cryosleeper increasing pop limit has been suggested before and remains a good idea.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »

Currently, habitable seems more like a liability.  Player definitely wants one for Farming and maybe Light Industry (with Biofactory Embryo).  But after that, player wants at least one world with No Atmosphere for Synchrotron, and there are more items that do not want or cannot use habitable.

Sure, variety is nice, but habitable should be a good thing, not bad.

Combat drones suppressing Decivilized while installed seems like a good idea.  Decivilized hurts!

While not overpowered per se, Waystation is already too good or good enough to be a required structure.  Easy access to crew, fuel, and supplies, and more accessibility to your colony, and therefore more money!

As for Tech Mining, I need the industry slot for more important things early, and by the time I have an industry slot to spare, I do not need Tech Mining because I raided core worlds to the ground for all of the items I need (blueprints, nanoforge, and synchrotron).  Tech Mining is useless as long as it consumes an industry slot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:45:02 PM by Megas »

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »

I find that habitable planets make the difference between having to pay hazard pay that sets you in the red and being able to grow your colony naturally while still being profitable.

It's honestly super important for a first colony.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »

The neutrino detector's issue, imo, isn't false positives (which can be found relatively easily as they don't change in direction or amplitude unlike real signals) but is instead that the cases where you want to use it (mining station in a ring around a giant, for instance) are cases where its bad signal:noise ratio makes even finding a positive signal extremely hard. Every easy to find signal is already visible on the map (planets, for example) and I feel like some tweaking might be nice.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Voracioush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »

The neutrino detector's issue, imo, isn't false positives (which can be found relatively easily as they don't change in direction or amplitude unlike real signals) but is instead that the cases where you want to use it (mining station in a ring around a giant, for instance) are cases where its bad signal:noise ratio makes even finding a positive signal extremely hard. Every easy to find signal is already visible on the map (planets, for example) and I feel like some tweaking might be nice.

I find that false positives can take a while to ferret out so I find myself sailing out in the middle of nowhere just to be TOTALLY sure that its not one and I end up halfway across the map.  I completely agree about SNR however.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »

I find that false positives can take a while to ferret out so I find myself sailing out in the middle of nowhere just to be TOTALLY sure that its not one and I end up halfway across the map.
Same here.  Not to mention it burns supplies and volatiles in the process.  It is reason why false positives need to go.

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:37 PM »

3. Special items changes:

a) Soil nanites not allowing rare ore should be removed; if you find a habitable planet with rare ore you're essentially punished.  I can see volatiles as staying
   b) Mantle bore not allowed on habitable world should be removed.  Make a side effect similar to nanoforge pollution be earthquakes but only for atmosphere planets.
   c) Catalytic core only allowed on no atmosphere should be changed to just not habitable, I should be able to use this on thick or thin atmospheres
I strongly disagree on all of these. The way they are now actually makes those seemingly useless class I planets quite useful if you know what to do with them. And you can't just spam terran worlds with ultra-rich resources for everything.

I agree on neutrino detector though. I don't feel like it has enough range to justify having also false positives. As in, it's already just marginally greater radius than infinitely more convenient radar, but it also has terrible noise.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:57:37 PM by Madskills »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 06:18:44 AM »

Strongly agree on combat replicator removing deciv population. It provides an extremely minor benefit and costs +4 pather interest.

Somewhat agree about the habitable requirements. It's nice that non-habitable worlds are useful now, but it's not nice that habitable ones became the useless ones instead. Unless I have biofactory, I don't even bother colonizing habitable planets, which feels very backwards.

Strongly agree on the cryosleeper. 10 organics is just a ridiculous requirement for mere pop growth. If you can produce that much, you already have size 6 planets, so you don't even need the cryo anymore.