Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Navigation is cluncky, suggestion  (Read 818 times)

Infoblaze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Navigation is cluncky, suggestion
« on: May 07, 2021, 10:13:58 AM »

4 issues that I think can easily be addressed

1) When I hit the E button to go to i guess the quest screen I would like to be able to right click on the quest to have it navigate to the specific location (or the approximate location).  Right now it is clunky as I then have to hit S to see on the other map and then I am not exactly sure how to get to the navigation so then I tab to get to another map.... ugg.  More streamlined please! 
2) So many maps.  When you are in the one that shows the planets I would like to just right click a planned and be able to navigate directly from that map.
3)I would like some sort of minor ping or confirmation that I have clicked on an enemy fleet or whatever and am navigation in that location.  Right now it just feels like it never always works on changing navigation so some minor visual cue would be nice.
4) Bounties and other quest map objectives.  I would LOVE a group my location or proximity option.  Or show all the quests on the star map and then let me accept the ones that are bunched together. 

Thank you for your consideration and making such a great game.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: Navigation is cluncky, suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

Pretty great suggestions, most of these are UI overhauls that might require a comprehensive update.

It's worth it just for accessibility and quality of life.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:31:26 PM »

I agree with most of these, especially number 4. The UI is not all that bad, but I feel like the intel screen doesn't do what I want it to do very easily. Its workable, it just takes more clicks than I'd like.

For me the hardest thing is bar quests: I want to do them, but checking where they are before accepting is painful. The fastest method I've found is to note the name, back out to the intel, go to the planet list, restrict to stars, then sort by name and scroll, then click (twice? don't remember) to show on map. It can take upwards of a minute to find where they are. At this point I just hit accept and then eat the reputation penalty if its not somewhere I want to go, which isn't the best.

EVWeb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 07:14:52 PM »

Most bar missions allow you to abort within a day with no penalty.  But it would definitely be nice to be able to look at the map and see where it is before accepting.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:02:40 PM »

Oh! I didn't know that, thanks! That makes things a bit easier - accept, go to intel screen to check location, then either abandon or keep.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 11:29:17 PM »

Just replace dialogue with an intel screen with all the missions listed all at once.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »

I do want to make it easier to check the map here, though, just in general! Maybe something as simple as showing that "star + direction + dist/cost/time on mouseover" widget, maybe some way to get to the intel screen showing where this intel would be, along with whatever else you have. Hmm.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »

It already gives lightyears, so a minimalist direction arrow would do a lot, like adding direction to a magnitude.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »

I think access to the full map/intel screen when considering missions is pretty important. Knowing where other missions are is important, but also knowing what is going on the system (factions present in the system, sensor buoys for stealth missions, raids, pirate bases, remnant beacons etc.) can matter a lot in some situations.