Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ever ignored derelict ships you found while exploring? THINK AGAIN (forge)  (Read 3901 times)

MagPoke

• Ensign
    • View Profile

So I just found out that the paper book historian that you find in bars can sell you the location of a pristine nanoforge for 4 story points...and it's inside a freaking derelict ship. So yeah...never ignoring those EVER AGAIN.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bob888w

• Commander
    • View Profile

The historian actually spawns the blueprints into existence. Oh and the story point cost for colony items doubles each time.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So I just found out that the paper book historian that you find in bars can sell you the location of a pristine nanoforge for 4 story points...and it's inside a freaking derelict ship. So yeah...never ignoring those EVER AGAIN.
If you reload the game and go to the wreck without paying the historian, that item will not be there.  So yes, historian magically conjures up items and places them into ruins or wrecks like Santa Claus.

What this means is do not blindly scrap every ship you see for parts, and do not loot every minor cache you see.  You may need that flotsam as a spawning point for new items conjured up by bar encounters.

Oh and the story point cost for colony items doubles each time.
That hurts.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Although the Historian alters wrecks that doesn't mean you should ignore wrecks, when approaching one you might get an event that your crew finds a hidden compartment holding something of value, in one case I found an Astral blueprint on a Kite.

MagPoke

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Man...that sucks...I've explored a great portion of my sector and no pristine nanoforge. That one will probably be the only one I'll get besides the ones I've raided...not to mention all I've been getting are synchrotron cores everywhere I go. Barely any other colony items...

MagPoke

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Does anyone know if you can get any other colony item's in ruins besides synchrotron cores? Are drops planet type specific?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Although the Historian alters wrecks that doesn't mean you should ignore wrecks, when approaching one you might get an event that your crew finds a hidden compartment holding something of value, in one case I found an Astral blueprint on a Kite.
It is possible, but the odds are low enough that I do not bother.  I usually treat pre-placed wrecks as storage of sorts.  If I do not need it, leave it until I do need it (which is usually never).

Another wreck to leave wrecks - missions.  Occasionally, they post missions on a wreck I found but left alone.  Easy money and rep.

Does anyone know if you can get any other colony item's in ruins besides synchrotron cores? Are drops planet type specific?
It is random.  In the game I played, I got mostly Soil Nanites, Cryoarithmetic Engines, and Combat Drone Replicators.  In other words, insignificant crap.  Also stumbled on Plasma Dynano, Orbital Fusion Lamp, and Hypershunt Tap, none of which I needed.  As for nanoforges, I stole them from the core worlds.  Historian would have been the only other option to acquire it from.  I also found one Synchrotron, but reloaded the game and forgot where I found it, so I ending up stealing it from the core worlds too.

MagPoke

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I actually got lucky finding Hypershunt Taps once. Got two from the same mine after searching the debris.

Cirevam

• Ensign
    • View Profile

If you reload the game and go to the wreck without paying the historian, that item will not be there. So yes, historian magically conjures up items and places them into ruins or wrecks like Santa Claus.

No, not Santa. If another thread is to be believed, the items are conjured up like Will Smith.

Once, I left a derelict ship alone in some star system in the armpit of the sector, since my cargo hold was full. Years passed. A visit to the historian informed me that a blueprint was on that ship I ignored so long ago. Neat, but that meant I had to trudge all the way back out there to that nondescript system in the corner of the map because I didn't salvage that one random Venture (or whatever it was). I guess it's appropriate for a genie; you wished for a blueprint, but you didn't wish for it to be right in front of you, so instead it was placed as far away as possible.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

2000 IQ play: survey only the fringe of the sector for goods to spawn near core

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Wait really?? The historian doesn't spawn new locations for us to survey/gather??? Damn... I've been salvaging every piece of derelict/cache in the near systems...

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile

Tbh by the point you get historian and a mostly explored sector in the same save the costs for such finds are already at like 16+ SP per item.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Wait really?? The historian doesn't spawn new locations for us to survey/gather??? Damn... I've been salvaging every piece of derelict/cache in the near systems...

I don't know specifics about what the historian does, I only assume this is how he works from what the others are saying here.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile

You do not need to fear salvaging every ship you run across. As long as there is conflict, there will be shipwrecks drifting about.

Recently, the historian visiting my colony told me of an Onslaught XIV blueprint. It was located in the same system, about 2000 units away onboard a Hammerhead drifting towards the sun. Probably from one of my patrol fleets.

So do not fear salvaging.